Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Well maybe the keyboard on the N900 will be slide-out like the one in N97? I mean, the N97 while Symbian-based is also based upon aspects learned from the N8x0. Why would a N900 not learn the (same) things from N8x0, N97, or a superset of these? It already does: HS*PA, HD camera...

But then, I own a E71 soon, and the thing I saw I didn't like about it was the size of the screen. Besides that its very good with its own keyboard and such. So it'd make sense if evolution of E71 would improve on this aspect.

Posts: 900 | Thanked: 273 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Fresno CA USA
Interesting mechanical design but why would build a more complex mechanical design which doesn't change the size of the device but results in a smaller keyboard. IMHO the N810 keyboard is much more user friendly and has fewer moving parts.
Personal Blog -- 3 Joe's Blog

N810 -- 5.2010.33-1

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
defensive patenting?

Posts: 751 | Thanked: 522 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ East Gowanus
Originally Posted by tso View Post
defensive patenting?
This.
Probably a ton more patents like this cooking over there in Espoo.

Posts: 900 | Thanked: 273 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Fresno CA USA
Originally Posted by tso View Post
defensive patenting?
Could well be or perhaps it's the result of how the problem solved is stated. For example if someone wanted to get a bigger screen on a phone that already has a small keyboard they might consider that design. The best designs don't come from adding a feature they come from considering the applications in their totality. Design to benefit the user not just to add a feature.
Personal Blog -- 3 Joe's Blog

N810 -- 5.2010.33-1

Posts: 880 | Thanked: 264 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Cambridge, UK
an accelerometer could be used for image stabilisation, auto-rotation of the screen, navigation dead-reckoning when GPS loses fix (or to save power in GPS by allowing chipset to sleep), games and gimmicks, HID (shake to control media player) etc.

on the subject of the webcam in the N800, it's poor probably for two reasons, one is the tiny lens, 2nd is the tiny sensor. I wonder if the circuitry could be re-purposed for something more useful, such as an additional USB port or high-voltage taser-like probe :-)

Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US
Originally Posted by allnameswereout View Post
I mean, the N97 while Symbian-based is also based upon aspects learned from the N8x0. Why would a N900 not learn the (same) things from N8x0, N97, or a superset of these? It already does: HS*PA, HD camera...
What aspects of the N97 do you think were learned from the N8X0?

Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by SD69 View Post
What aspects of the N97 do you think were learned from the N8X0?
Maemo has been a Nokia touchscreen research project. The sliding keyboard, while not being 100% like the N810, still resembles it. The interface looks very much like [a] clone of Maemo although its way of dealing with applets is far better (other OSes and DEs have progressed in this before). The cry for disk space you can see back as well; with a 32 GB on-board. That might be the best of both the N800 and N810 SDs options. But I believe the development of N900, N97, and other touchscreen devices is somewhat paralel. One reason is because they all share some similarities (including TV out, touchscreen, ..). But also because of this news.

Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US
I can't follow your reasoning.

Maemo has been a Nokia touchscreen research project. The sliding keyboard, while not being 100% like the N810, still resembles it.
Isn't the N97 keyboard more hinged than sliding? And therefore, more like the E90? And even so weren't sliding keyboards used on Symbian devices before n8x0?

The interface looks very much like [a] clone of Maemo although its way of dealing with applets is far better (other OSes and DEs have progressed in this before).
Not following this... How is the N97 "way of dealing with applets" learned from the N8x0? What do you mean by "DEs"?

The cry for disk space you can see back as well; with a 32 GB on-board. That might be the best of both the N800 and N810 SDs options.
The desire for memory has been around from long before. Hardly learned from the N8x0.

But I believe the development of N900, N97, and other touchscreen devices is somewhat paralel. One reason is because they all share some similarities (including TV out, touchscreen, ..).
The N900 is undoubtedly taken from the n8x0. So saying that the N900 and N97 are developed in parallel, just seems inconsistent with saying the N97 learned from the N8x0.

I am completely at a loss as to why this shows aspects of the N97 were learned from the n8x0.

Posts: 861 | Thanked: 734 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Nomadic
Maemo has been a Nokia touchscreen research project. The sliding keyboard, while not being 100% like the N810, still resembles it. The interface looks very much like [a] clone of Maemo although its way of dealing with applets is far better (other OSes and DEs have progressed in this before). The cry for disk space you can see back as well; with a 32 GB on-board. That might be the best of both the N800 and N810 SDs options. But I believe the development of N900, N97, and other touchscreen devices is somewhat paralel. One reason is because they all share some similarities (including TV out, touchscreen, ..). But also because of this news.
Before the N97, there had already been a mid-ranged Symbian S60 model with the compass called the 6210 Navigator. Sorry; its a commody feature that, like TV-Out and 5mpx cameras, will be diffused throughout Nokia's lineup to enable connectivity to services that would best take advantage of such hardware.

Applets, or widgets, have been a main part of Symbian S60 since FP1; and pushed quite heavily with the Widsets initiative months ago.

The touchscreen is similar, but the usability of it is where it draws some from the lessons of Maemo, that's about it.

Last edited by ARJWright; 2008-12-15 at 01:52.

Tags
fremantle, iphone killer, n900, rover, rx-51