Posts: 23 | Thanked: 33 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Los Angeles
I hope that posting about a WinMo hack in this forum won't get my Maemo license taken away. I thought some of you might find this useful.

A while back I posted about how I got my N810 working with Google Voice, Gizmo and DialCentral.

Just recently, I picked up an HTC Tilt 2 (aka Touch Pro 2) from AT&T. I was going to hold out for the N900, but I didn't want to switch carriers, and couldn't wait that long for it to be released. One of my first priorities was figuring out how to make the new device integrate with Google Voice and Gizmo the way I did with my N810.

I finally got it working to my satisfaction today using the following free programs:

iDialer (Google Voice version)
iContact

Fring (configured with my Gizmo settings)

I use iDialer to originate the call through Google Voice, using my Gizmo5 account as the callback number, and Fring to answer the call.

This works on both wifi and 3G. I've tested it only on my device using Windows Mobile 6.5, but I assume it should work on earlier versions and other devices as well.

As with the N810, I posted complete instructions on my blog for anyone who's interested:
http://www.sneakyreader.com/how-to-s...tc-tilt-2-att/

BTW, I still love and use my N810.

Last edited by hornartist; 2012-01-16 at 05:09.

Posts: 3,811 | Thanked: 1,151 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ East Lansing, MI
Hey horn!

You were one of my favorite posters this year.

Thanks to you, I'm really getting the most of my N800.

I wish you would write here more often.

Pop quiz since you seem to know it all....

Anyway to get free celebrity wake up phone calls or anything else unique that you can think of with a google voice account?

Cheers buddy!

Originally Posted by Addison View Post
Hey horn!

You were one of my favorite posters this year.

Thanks to you, I'm really getting the most of my N800.

I wish you would write here more often.

Pop quiz since you seem to know it all....

Anyway to get free celebrity wake up phone calls or anything else unique that you can think of with a google voice account?

Cheers buddy!
Thanks for the kind words.

I'll look into the celebrity wake up calls thing. A couple of services come to mind, but I'll have to do some more digging.

Best regards,
J

My wife also has an iPhone who won't let me jailbreak it either, even though I probably wouldn't know how to do this anyway.

If you can figure that one out as well, please post!

The only thing I really have yet to understand is what land line phone number you are using to get those two private numbers for you and the wife working correctly at home.

Are you using the number from your place of work, a friend, or something else?

Or don't you want us to know?

Cheers!

The only thing I really have yet to understand is what land line phone number you are using to get those two private numbers for you and the wife working correctly at home.

Are you using the number from your place of work, a friend, or something else?

Or don't you want us to know?

Cheers!
The two "private numbers" at home are just Gizmo accounts paired with an analog telephone adapter.

The ATA is just a box that sits between my internet connection and my regular telephone and converts VoIP calls to analog so I can talk using a standard telephone.

I have a Linksys SPA 2102 analog telephone adapter configured with my Gizmo settings such that any call to either our GV/Gizmo accounts rings through to the phones I have plugged into the ATA.

Here's what happens when someone places a call to my Google Voice number:

Incoming call -> Google Voice -> Gizmo5 -> Linksys SPA 2102 -> standard cordless phone

Nothing shady about it, although it might be more fun if there was.

Regarding the iPhone:

The Fring app for iPhone supports SIP, so it's possible to have a GV/Gizmo call over data or wifi. Unfortunately, since the iPhone doesn't multitask, so you have to have another device connected to your GV account if you want to originate free calls. I haven't figured out a way around that yet. I tried enabling push with Fring, but notification takes too long and it's usually not possible to pick up in time.

What the iPhone really needs is an app that combines a Google Voice dialer with a SIP client. Since the original Google Voice app was rejected, I'm not optimistic. Yet.

I've seen mention of a setup that involves an Asterisk box and some kind of clever dial-plan call-back jujitsu for free outgoing calls, but I don't understand it enough to attempt it yet.

Last edited by hornartist; 2009-11-18 at 01:28.

I've seen mention of a setup that involves an Asterisk box and some kind of clever dial-plan call-back jujitsu for free outgoing calls, but I don't understand it enough to attempt it yet.
When you do, will you post back your findings?

Oh, and hey, any new tricks to mention from before?

I asked earlier about celebrity automated wake up calls and you didn't respond, but is there anything else out there worth trying?

Perhaps psychic hot lines or phone sex (this is a joke of course, unless it can really be done)? *lol*

Thanks for posting your home set up.

Actually, I was thinking more like calling in to receive free weather updates of my neighborhood by phone, maybe sports tracking, current events, stock reports, you know, automatic messages of stuff like this.

What would be really cool is to be on an automatic call list if a severe weather alert has been announced within my area.

I don't know, just looking for a few creative or possibly some weird ideas from you that's all.

Cheers!

Posts: 1,348 | Thanked: 1,863 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ fr/35/rennes
btw, this service is available only in the USA right ?
but if it matters SMS to Internationnal are working

https://purl.org/rzr/abandonware

Please help to list all maemo existing apps :

https://github.com/abandonware/aband...ment-578143760

https://wiki.maemo.org/Apps#

I am looking for " 4 inch TFT LCD display screen " for Nokia n950 HandSet

http://rzr.online.fr/q/lcd

Also, I need online storage to archive files :

http://db.tt/gn5Qffd6#

https://my.pcloud.com/#page=register...e=g8ikZmcfEJy#

My wife also has an iPhone who won't let me jailbreak it either, even though I probably wouldn't know how to do this anyway.

If you can figure that one out as well, please post!
If you're still interested in Google Voice VoIP calls on the iPhone, here's how:

Get a SIP client, like Fring and configure it with your Gizmo or SipGate settings.

Open Fring, leave it running in the background, then use "Fast App Switching" to open a web browser. Use the Google Voice mobile site to originate the call, and then you can switch back to Fring to take it.

This only works on the 3GS or higher running iOS 4. You can do the same thing on a jailbroken 3G using Backgrounder, but you said your wife won't let you jailbreak her iPhone.

You can find complete instructions at the link.

Tags
gizmo, google voice, voip, windows mobile