Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
sounds like the keyboard could have benefited from a altgr key
altgr+shift+y seems to produce the talked about symbol: ¥

Posts: 1,878 | Thanked: 646 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ San Jose, CA
Originally Posted by glabifrons View Post
I definitely second this one.

I had a chance on a great deal on the N810, but after holding one I decided to go with the N800 instead.
Personally, I'd prefer to see no direct WiMAX version of the N800 nor N810. Instead, I'd like to see a device like the CenterPoint PHS-300 that has 1 USB-client port for charging an internal battery, configuration, and use as a USB network adaptor, 1 RJ45 port for direct ethernet, and a low power Wifi radio (maybe GPS too). Then different models for:
  • European GSM/UMTS/HSPA/etc.
  • USA GSM/UMTS/HSPA/etc. (supporting both AT&T and T-Mobile)
  • CDMA 1xRTT/EVDO
  • WiMAX
  • Perhaps LTE if it's not rolled in to the GSM models

And, for the CDMA and GSM versions, it has a built in SIP server and very light Jabber server, so that you can use a SIP client to make phone calls and a Jabber client to interact with SMS/MMS.

And it would have a small https web server for configuration.

The internal battery should be big enough to last most of a day (6-8 hours), if not all day (12-18ish hours). Dual hot-swappable batteries might be cool. Especially if it has an external USB battery charger you can buy.

I think those would be much better products than an N800 or N810 with built-in WiMAX.

Things I like better about the N800:
  • Speakers fire towards the user instead of away in the direction of everyone else.
  • 2 SDHC slots (I have a 16GB card in the internal)
  • Normal/common mini USB port
  • Directional pad reachable in its normal state!
Things I didn't like about the N810 keyboard:
  • No pipe key (but includes some weird money symbol I don't recognize?)
  • Flat and smooth, very awkward feel (compare to a SideKick/HipTop keyboard)
I think micrsoSDHC is a much better direction to go than SDHC or miniSD. But it's a difference between "do you want your device to be able to read everything (use full size), or to have its cards readable in everything (use micro)." What makes no sense to me, however, is using miniSD.

As for the speakers, the directionality is not "toward everyone else", it's to the sides. And it's not like you, the user, can't hear it. In fact, you probably get better sterophonic quality out of the side facing speakers than out of the face speakers. Maybe imperceptibly less volume, but the sound will come from a wider angle, I think, and thus give you better stereophonics.

I don't care about mini vs micro USB, honestly. Either way you need a special cable.

I agree about the placement of the Dpad. There should be 1 dpad on the left side of the face, one dpad on the right side of the face, and each one should be selectable to be "button cluster" vs "dpad". You shouldn't have to slide out the keyboard to use the dpad.

You can do the pipe symbol. Hit the "Chr" button, and 2 rows of special symbols pop up on the screen. Down arrow (on the menu, not on the dpad) once. Pipe is almost top middle.

I don't do long complex pipelines from the N810 much, so it's not a big deal to me. But, it would be nice if you could easily remap the keyboard through a control panel app, so that you could, say, swap the Euro, Pound, or Yen keys to things like pipes or curley-brackets or back-quotes. I also find it unusual that the double quote isn't the shift of the single quote (the question mark is both the shift AND fn of the single quote; could have just been the fn and not the shift), just like the way the semi-colon, colon, and pound are done).

I do NOT like the sidekick keyboard, in that it has those hard to press bubble keys. What I want from the N810 keyboard is more of a click feel when you successfully hit a key (sometimes I get no feeling at all from clicking a key), and it should be less overall force than it is now. Basically, the ergonomics of a keypress on the N810 are horrible. But, in terms of force, the sidekick's I've used were WORSE, not better.

A more convex key surface might be ok, but not as convex (to the point of being little bubbles) as the sidekick.

I already have an iGo ultra keyboard (Amazon, $30) and a bluetooth GPS (BT-GPS, Geeks $37) and I find them far more usable.
For lots of typing, yes, I also use my iGo. For quick things, like when I'm sitting on the couch and just want to lookup a movie on IMDB, or answer a quick IM, no. The iGo isn't good for that. Nor would I want to use the full screen keyboard for those (I used to on my N800, and I find the slide-out keyboard to be much better).

As for the GPS... I'd rather not have either (internal nor external).

The keyboard can be used on your lap or desk, has a full set of keys in a touch-type capable spacing, etc.
The Bluetooth GPS can be tossed up on the dashboard (or window) where it will get a signal when the N800 is in the car (or airplane, etc).

While I'm at it... I miss the hard shell of the 770 on both of the new models! (I carry mine in my pocket and the "sock" that everyone hates saves mine from a scratchy death).
I have a Pelican 1040 with foam inserts for carrying my N810. Makes it a little bit more bulky (not pocketable anymore), but I'm fine with that. I just shove it in my maxpedition bag, and away I go.

What do you lot make of this :

Australia’s first WiMAX operator, Hervey Bay’s Buzz Broadband, has closed its network, with the CEO labeling the technology as a “disaster” that “failed miserably.”

In an astonishing tirade to an international WiMAX conference audience in Bangkok yesterday afternoon, CEO Garth Freeman slammed the technology, saying its non-line of sight performance was “non-existent” beyond just 2 kilometres from the base station, indoor performance decayed at just 400m and that latency rates reached as high as 1000 milliseconds. Poor latency and jitter made it unacceptable for many Internet applications and specifically VoIP, which Buzz has employed as the main selling point to induce people to shed their use of incumbent services.
source

Posts: 2,041 | Thanked: 1,066 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Houston
Originally Posted by iamthewalrus View Post
What do you lot make of this :

source
How about this??

http://www.engadget.com/2008/03/25/c...oin-forces-on/

All these companies wont be in if wimax is not that good

Posts: 1,878 | Thanked: 646 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ San Jose, CA
Yeah, it sounds more like the Oz company simply implemented WiMAX poorly, not that WiMAX poor on its own.

Comcast, Sprint, Google May Fund WiMax....sounds like it's gonna happen! ;-)

Posts: 610 | Thanked: 391 times | Joined on Feb 2006 @ DC, USA
I want me a WiMAX/GPS tablet NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posts: 13 | Thanked: 13 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Philadelphia
If Nokia added a Centrino Atom processor to the N810, and dropped the price, I would trade up from my N800 in an instant. Two problems taken care of with one upgrade, battery life and performance!

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by Jayayess1190 View Post
If Nokia added a Centrino Atom processor to the N810, and dropped the price, I would trade up from my N800 in an instant. Two problems taken care of with one upgrade, battery life and performance!
Ha . . . Hahaha . . . HAHAHAHAHAHA

Fail.

Originally Posted by Jayayess1190 View Post
From here, that looks more like improving performance, slaughtering battery life, and breaking compatibility. Centrino Atom (previously Menlow) has ground-breakingly low power-consumption for x86-compatible processors, but not overall.

And going ARM -> x86 in a similar device seems ******ed. It's almost time for a new design at any rate; if Nokia wants to jump on Intel's MID bandwagon, they could do so with a fresh design, instead of basing it off the N810 which is designed to be highly compatible with the N800.