i don't understand why people hate WP so much, apart from that Microsoft is behind it, it seems like a nice design apart from only two screens for stuff, i like the tile screen, but they need a better communications centre and WTF is with the second screen ******** of all your applications in a massive list, makes things slow, whatever happened to categories or just a better way to display more applications at one time.

Office is great, i love the way it works and the swyping between stuff. The browser yes is terrible, but it WP seems so underrated, I think a lot of people are taking a subjective approach to this, because of WP they don't get the OS they want to take the lead, I hope Nokia find a way to implement swype in WP hopefully the next release of WP will include decent multitasking

Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Originally Posted by misterc View Post
just noticed on gsmarena's news page that the camera interface is not the (current) one from NOKIA Belle.
maybe there is still some juice left in Symbian...
(would be silly to develop a new version for only one device, no?)
Yeah MNB's been pumping-out shitloads of articles in the last 24hr+, been catching-up.
Recall reading at one point, that it's from a totally different family to the N8.
Was in fact developed in parallel, and has been worked on for 5yrs...

Last edited by jalyst; 2012-02-28 at 01:13.

And speaking of good news, I looked at one of the top phone sites, gsmarena.com, and the N9 out-performed everybody in customer ratings of style, performance, and features. Here's the page with the iPhone (which got one 7.8 and two 7.4's): www.gsmarena.com/apple_iphone-1827.php. And compare that to the N9, which got all 8.4's: www.gsmarena.com/nokia_n9-3398.php. And we out-scored the other flagship device, the Galaxy Nexus, too. No other Nokia was scored as highly as the N9, though the Lumia 900 was close. This sounds like N9 = flagship to me.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hacker For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by specc View Post
Love it

I see a big drop in N8 sales coming, a disintegration of mid/low Symbian Belle phones due to the Lumia 610.
WP7 is not an upgrade path for Symbian users. They can customize almost everything on their phones while in WP7 you can customize almost nothing. Symbian users who are used to widgets, themes, multiple homescreens and Java apps will feel constricted with WP7. The natural upgrade path for Symbian users is Android.

But also, with Lumia 800 and Lumia 900, the future for the N9 does not look all that nice.
Then why does Elop still fear to sell N9 in major markets alongside Lumia?

Last edited by SamGan; 2012-02-28 at 03:18.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to SamGan For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by SamGan View Post
WP7 is not an upgrade path for Symbian users. They can customize almost everything on their phones while in WP7 you can customize almost nothing. Symbian users who are used to widgets, themes, multiple homescreens and Java apps will feel constricted with WP7. The natural upgrade path for Symbian users is Android.
I agree. With Android comes freedom to configure the phone any way you like it. A Symbian user will feel more at home with Android. Belle is extremely easy to configure. Android is much more clunky in that respect, but also more free, new launchers and so on. The lack of configuring is the main reason I don't like Swipe so much anymore.

On the other hand, lots of people are not that keen on configuring. iOS is proof of that, but also Swipe.

Then why does Elop still fear to sell N9 in major markets alongside Lumia?
I have learned that the 808 also will sell in a limited market, maybe only France, at least to start with. And that sucks. I was optimistic yesterday, but now I am pessimistic again. A company that does not put the customer first and try to sell to him what he wants, really does not have the right to live. Doing it once or twice, OK, but with Nokia it seems to have become some sort of a political agenda NOT to give people what the want.

I will have a 808 in any case, then it will be off to Intel/Samsung land if something worth while comes out of that camp.

The Following User Says Thank You to specc For This Useful Post:
Posts: 37 | Thanked: 22 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ saint lucia
Wish Nokia would show the N9 some love and work on porting some popular wp7 apps over like office, whatsapp, and some of others they brought to belle. don't abandon us completely Nokia

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to coopere For This Useful Post:
better UI
hahahaha, try harder with your trolling. Symbian having a better UI. M5 has the best UI ever created.

Patlak, not sure where you are coming from (in the sense, Symbian fan, N900 fan or so) but if
M5 <=> Maemo Fremantle
i totally agree with you.

regarding the "unpopularity" of wp...
i don't think it is only / mostly
  • customization & setup freedom
  • availability of (free) apps
  • number of home screens
  • (anything else i forgot ?!?)

rather then
  • the unpopularity of m$ (i know, i know, it's the most used PC OS bla bla, but, honestly, do ppl have a choice? whenever you buy a (new) PC / laptop, you have to buy a m$ license, might as well use it, even if one ends up shrinking the partition & installing a GNU/Linux next to it (& possibly using it more)
  • m$es catastrophic reputation / image on the mobile phone market (wm anyone?)
  • their trollish patent war behaviour (?)
  • m$ = $$$$$; yes, they make a $h!t load of money, but a lot of that money comes from consumers pockets, too; like i said, the OS licences are usually "included in the price" & hey, they even offer a browser and anti-virus with it but anything else... $$$$$

Apple isn't much different, but they had "new gadget" effect going for 'em, and a AAA reputation.
and Android? well, the devices have to be paid for too, obviously, but they had the "cheaper" alternative compared to Apple going for them and five years ago, Google's reputation maybe wasn't (quite) so bad (yet)

The lack of configuring is the main reason I don't like Swipe so much anymore.

On the other hand, lots of people are not that keen on configuring. iOS is proof of that, but also Swipe.
What does swipe have to do with configurability? I thought you hated swipe because it wasn't practical. I guess it's easier to drop your phone trying to reach for the home button than swipe from the side while using the phone one handed. Make up your mind.

The Following User Says Thank You to patlak For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by misterc View Post
Patlak, not sure where you are coming from (in the sense, Symbian fan, N900 fan or so) but if
M5 <=> Maemo Fremantle
i totally agree with you.
M5 = Maemo 5

The UI is timeless. Too bad it never saw the light of day. If more devices released with Maemo 5, Android would not have been as popular. Stupid Nokia, never satisfied with their efforts and never satisfying their customers' needs. Belle is also nice, and they'll still pull the plug.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to patlak For This Useful Post: