Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
i worry that there may be a memory leak (or something. I have seen it hog the cpu and gobble up 30+ MB of ram) in asui, if it is set to display on start (or one use the long press to go from charging mode to the maemo desktop).

I have also observed asui crashing when in charge mode.

i worry that there may be a memory leak (or something. I have seen it hog the cpu and gobble up 30+ MB of ram) in asui, if it is set to display on start (or one use the long press to go from charging mode to the maemo desktop).
I just looked at process viewer and mine is using 7.7 so it does have a leak. I'm looking into it.

I have also observed asui crashing when in charge mode.
By "charge mode" do you mean when the device is shutdown but on the charger (charging runlevel) or does it happen when the device is booted up and on the charger?

I looked over all the code related to "booted and charging" when mgamerz brought it up but couldn't see anything that would lead to a crash. Going to look at the charging runlevel now in case that is what you mean but if it is in fact crashing outside of the charging runlevel then I will need more information to reproduce it.

Charging runlevel. Could be a issue with a worn out battery, and that pesky nokia bug but i want to make sure. Basically the screen would go white after sitting charging for a while and then reboot.

New test binary.

While testing I found that ASUI can crash during the charging runlevel leaving the screen solid white, and then it reboots. And for some reason ASUI now consumes all cpu and memory when starting visible after every reboot. I also found and fixed a 7kB/minute memory leak when on the main ASUI screen that has been in the code since 0.2.3.

I added some code that makes ASUI sleep until the system settles down after booting. This seems to have fixed the problem with ASUI consuming all cpu and memory at boot. However, now ASUI won't transition from the charging runlevel to desktop. I've changed ASUI_CHARGING to false in /etc/asui-svc until I can fix this, and so should all of you.

EDIT:
Could be a issue with a worn out battery, and that pesky nokia bug but i want to make sure.
Nope, my battery is new and I have the problem.

Last edited by auouymous; 2010-12-11 at 21:20.

0.4.2 only displays occasionally while off-but-charging, doesn't display at all when my N800 is running. I'm going to have to uninstall and wait for a fix.

A different issue/question: Is it possible to have the device boot into Flight Mode? I'm currently using it primarily as an MP3 player and don't need to expend battery on Wi-Fi.

Not sure if the locked/unlocked window is worth the hassle. I left gjewled running, screen timed out and now the unlocked window is eating all the taps, including anything i attempt to do inside telescope to close the window.

edit:
hrmf, just had the same issue when leaving application manager open. the unlocked window stays in place, eating any taps aimed at the interface.

Last edited by tso; 2010-12-12 at 23:49.

I left gjewled running, screen timed out and now the unlocked window is eating all the taps, including anything i attempt to do inside telescope to close the window.
Technically it can't eat more than one tap/key since that would cause it to close. Sounds like that game grabs the pointer and keyboard and prevents ASUI's blank window from getting it. Same problem happens if a menu is opened when the screen blanks. You should be able to press the escape key inside telescope while the unlocked window is highlighted and it will cause it to close.

I put up a new test binary that will keep the blank window from opening if it can't grab the pointer and keyboard. Lemme know if it works with that game, if not, I'll remove it completely until another way is found.

looks to be working ok, from what quick testing i have done.

Originally Posted by mcow View Post
0.4.2 only displays occasionally while off-but-charging, doesn't display at all when my N800 is running.
Could you elaborate? ASUI doesn't open when you press the power button? Are any menus open while you're trying to open ASUI? Is the ASUI service running?

Originally Posted by mcow View Post
A different issue/question: Is it possible to have the device boot into Flight Mode? I'm currently using it primarily as an MP3 player and don't need to expend battery on Wi-Fi.
It should boot into the same mode as when it was shutdown, I think.

would it be possible to have one box that could be solely configured by the user to link to any app or area as one chooses

Tags
bada blows, bada rox