Active Topics

No, world first needs devices with drivers, where you could use such open systems (which already exist actually).

Someone made a nice sequence:

Maemo: DEB, GTK
Meego: RPM, Qt
Tizen: DEB, EFL
What's next to be expected? Something like XXX: RPM, Clutter may be?

Someone either likes hopping around for the joy of the change for the sake of change, or someone just doesn't think too much, or doesn't care about any previous effort.

Last edited by shmerl; 2012-01-10 at 21:54.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shmerl For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Originally Posted by shmerl View Post
No, world first needs devices with drivers, where you could use such open systems (which already exist actually).

What's next to be expected? Something like XXX: RPM, Clutter may be?

Someone either likes hopping around for the joy of the change for the sake of change, or someone just doesn't think too much, or doesn't care about any previous effort.
I always remember the comment of a provincial general in the Roman Empire: "Whenever Rome demands action, I announce a reorganization. That way I never have to actually do anything!"

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to geneven For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by shmerl View Post

What's next?
Bump!

To be honest, I'm a huge Kubuntu fan but RPM is better than DEB, well at least when it comes to light/mobile systems (not to start a flamewar both are identical but have strengths&weakneses).

And despite my lack of experience with Qt, that would be my first choice GUI since I know how flexible yet powerful it is. And there you have it...my favourite OS would be ....MeeGo!
Damn you murderous traitorous empire.

...now for some good news!
There is a Custom Rom made for Tizen! Much like CyanogenMod 7.1 is to Sense 3.5
It's called SteelRat made by a company called Novomok, and they plan to integrate Qt v5 and QML v2 (the latest ones) into Tizen.

Here's a beta version running on an Acer Iconia Tab 500

Last edited by Kangal; 2012-01-24 at 08:55.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kangal For This Useful Post:
Is Tizen using debian packages again? I wonder why they changed that again. In my opinion the package system on MeeGo harmattan is just adequate for "app-store-use". It works, but is slow when compared to installing apps in Android in my experience.
I would not be surprised to learn that both RPM and DEB aren't really well suited to for the current generation of mobile hardware. Luckily hardware advances really quickly nowadays.

Posts: 1,523 | Thanked: 1,997 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ not your mom's FOSS basement
...which is why again Palm/HP went with the quite old & not maintained IPKG? Even OPKG seems outdated.

Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Originally Posted by Kangal View Post
...now for some good news!
There is a Custom Rom made for Tizen! Much like CyanogenMod 7.1 is to Sense 3.5
It's called SteelRat made by a company called Novomok, and they plan to integrate Qt v5 and QML v2 (the latest ones) into Tizen.

Here's a beta version running on an Acer Iconia Tab 500
Yeah that's been known for some time.
But still many people dont seem to be aware of that, so thanks for sharing all the links!

Originally Posted by Bernard View Post
Is Tizen using debian packages again?
Tizen was never not using DEB. It's, thus far, directly descended from SLP which was always DEB. Whether the packaging format will change is unknown.

In my opinion the package system on MeeGo harmattan is just adequate for "app-store-use". It works, but is slow when compared to installing apps in Android in my experience.
That's because Android doesn't actually do any real package management. And the slowest aspect of all of this is the storage medium, which is all CPU dependent.

The Following User Says Thank You to wmarone For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
Well, Steelrat is not really an alternative ROM. It is an OS for OEMs and to get it you would have to buy a device with it. You cannot download Steelrat.

The other OEM company that announced Qt support for their Tizen implementation is 4tiitoo.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pycage For This Useful Post: