Notices

Originally Posted by darethehair View Post
2) Sadly, no obvious ways present themselves to speed up the sky display much beyond what it is now -- I think this is mostly due to the app being written in Python, rather that C -- rather than my own coding skills (though that always remains a possibility). Right now, the only way to 'speed it up' is to reduce as much of the 'options' as possible i.e. reduce visual magnitude, turn off objects that you do not need to display, turn of grids, etc..
Indeed, in the end, every complex program like this ends up in C...

Thanks!
L.

The Following User Says Thank You to luis For This Useful Post:
Posts: 130 | Thanked: 74 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Canada
1) In the next version, I believe that I have improved (but sadly not perfected) the ability of a sky region click to re-center properly.
I'm really looking forward to this next version! -P.

Posts: 273 | Thanked: 104 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Manitoba, Canada
Well, at this point I have been tweaking a few last-minute fixes/improvements to MEphemeris, but mostly I am awaiting help from the author of PyEphem on some potential bugs that I have found in the new 'satellite pass' prediction features that were recently added. These features are 'just in time' for me to add them to MEphemeris

Mephemeris is another cool app. Thank you for all your work.

I'm having mostly bad luck getting information from my shiny new bluetooth GPS. FWIW Maemo-mapper and MChronos both talk to it.

Pushing "Reset Location" has worked exactly once, out of dozens of attempts. It briefly turned green, I got the GPS Location icon in the status bar, and the lat and long numbers changed from the default values.

Usually what happens is a screen message "GPS location/time not used -- using internal settings instead". In the terminal window I get:

"GPS SEARCHING...PLEASE WAIT
On Maemo so trying bluetooth GPS...
Problem while connecting!
not found gps position= <default values>"

I'm so trying to understand why this is happening, when other applications work and play well with the bluetooth GPS.

The relevant section of the .ini file is:

gps mode= gpsbt
gps timeout= 15
gpsd host= 127.0.0.1
gpsd port= 2947

I was sure the default IP wouldn't work, so I changed it. I suspect the localhost IP would be a better default. (Perhaps you would also consider moving this file to the user directory with the proper ownership, as I suggested for MChronos.)

This is a nifty program; it would be niftier if it would update from the GPS.

Originally Posted by mariner View Post
Mephemeris is another cool app. Thank you for all your work.
Hello again! Glad you like it -- I have a newer version pending for a few months now, but some (what I think are) bugs in the PyEphem libraries are tripping me up, so I am awaiting assistance from the author before releasing it.

I'm having mostly bad luck getting information from my shiny new bluetooth GPS. FWIW Maemo-mapper and MChronos both talk to it.
Hmmm...no one else has reported the same problem. As well, it works OK for me, and the same 'GPS' code is used in both MEphemeris and MChronos (from what I recall).

gps mode= gpsbt
gps timeout= 15
gpsd host= 127.0.0.1
gpsd port= 2947

I was sure the default IP wouldn't work, so I changed it. I suspect the localhost IP would be a better default. (Perhaps you would also consider moving this file to the user directory with the proper ownership, as I suggested for MChronos.)
Actually, the 'host/port' settings are *just* for the 'gpsd' mode of the app (and this mode, BTW, is not one that I support or have tested on the N8xx). I have that mode to support running MEphemeris on a typical desktop (where the screen real estate is nice and large). For the standard 'gpsbt' mode, those are irrelevant.

This is a nifty program; it would be niftier if it would update from the GPS.
All I can suggest is to insure that you have a good GPS lock *outside* of MEphemeris first, and then try the GPS thing

All I can suggest is to insure that you have a good GPS lock *outside* of MEphemeris first, and then try the GPS thing
I did, but thanks for the suggestion.

Its been a long time since I have posted in this Forum. I never did (and perhaps never will) jump from the N800 platform to the N900. With the new emphasis on 'Qt' rather than 'Gtk', I don't think my astronomy apps have a bright future on Nokia's tablets anymore

That being said, I continue to tweek and enhance some of my apps -- including Mephemeris.

- Does anyone here still use it?
- Anyone interested in any newer versions?
- Do my apps even work on the N900?

Hi

this app doesn't seem to appear in the Repos for the n900, so I have been unable to test, which is a shame, as it would be useful for me.

Originally Posted by br1zer View Post
Hi

this app doesn't seem to appear in the Repos for the n900, so I have been unable to test, which is a shame, as it would be useful for me.
Hello! I am curious to know what would happen if you simply clicked/downloaded the app directly from the old 'Diablo' repository?

http://repository.maemo.org/extras-d.../m/mephemeris/

(of course, you would also need the 'PyEphem' library as well)

I used to host my 'software' page on Google, but it looks like they have taken that feature away -- I will have to investigate this...EDIT: it was a bit tedious with Google's web page editor, but I have attempted to re-create my original 'software' page here:

https://sites.google.com/site/darethehair/home/software

Note that this contains slightly old versions of my stuff. No web site or repository yet contains my most recent version of Mephemeris (version 1.41 or so).

Last edited by darethehair; 2011-01-25 at 21:33.