Posts: 992 | Thanked: 738 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Low Earth Orbit
Originally Posted by Joseph.skb View Post
I'm curious...did Nokia respond to other model's 'continuous development' after it was released to the general market?
The top selling models gets more updates. Eg the N95 had lots more updates/bugfixes than the E70. I thought it was bad when they dropped support for the E70 in just under 1 year - until the N900 came along and support for that was dropped even quicker!

Posts: 670 | Thanked: 747 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Kansas City, Missouri, USA
Originally Posted by Frappacino View Post
...the answer is clear as to how NOKIA views the n900...and by extension how commercially successful the n900 was, it is quite clear.
Yeah, Nokia is really ticked off that the N900/Maemo project was such an utter failure. So much so that they bet the future of the company on MeeGo -- the direct offspring of Maemo - and made the N900 the reference device for MeeGo handset development. Clearly they think the N900/Maemo is crap and want to pretend it never happened. And those major OS updates we've gotten were just Nokia's wiley attempts to fool us into thinking they actually were supporting the device.

I'm bent because Nokia hasn't announced support for flash 11.0 or MeeGo 3.0 on the N900. What are they doing??
Registered Linux user #266531.

The Following User Says Thank You to Crashdamage For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by on3st4b View Post
ps : " free" phones from providers are not so " free " , how can it be free when u make a 24 - 36 mounth contract ( thats 2 - 3 years ) with a provider and pay mounthly fees !!!
just to give an idea , i have pre paid card ( from wind ) i have 1500 min talk time 1500 sms ( for wind same provider usage ) and 1.5GB data per mounth FOR FREE , i never paid 1 sent ( well i bought the sim for 5 $ ) , THATS FREE , not 20-50 $ contract per mounth + call + data .
yes, there you right. its the contract you pay for. so it is not completely for free: no device is. but /if/ you do a contract, you pay for that contract. if you want you get some hardware on top of it. that other guy said, that was not possible with the n900 like it is with other devices. reality proves him wrong. it's just like with other devices. you pay for the contract and you get a device as "bait", if you want so, to do the contract.

and yes: you are also correct that there are regional differences as to which degree it is available. there are even some networks the n900 does not work with. please i didn't argue against that and didn't say it is available everywhere.

but all that has nothing to do with, like the other stated, that it cannot be given for "free" as "bait" for a contract ... that they do(e.g. make a vodafone contract and get among others also a n900 an top, or make a o2 contract and get among others a n900 on top. ).

EDIT: and this is in contrary to the iphone e.g. which was locked to some supported providers. so you couldn't use it as bait for a contract if the provider was not supported(can't use the phone with the provider for it was locked to only a few). that was an issue when the iphone came up a couple of years ago.

Last edited by lunat; 2010-11-28 at 17:32.

Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by trungttr View Post
what the hell.. didn't nokia want to sell this phone to an consumer? what about all the commercials.. when i bought this phone, i didn't know it wasen't intendent for a regular joe.. like me. the commercials didn't say i needed to be a tech guy.. didn't say i was a test rabbit so they could develop better phones.. no one did tell me that i lacked intermidiate functions.. certainly not nokia.. all the commercials told me that this was the best phone ever.. i could do everything.. well.. it can't..
this has already been covered here. yes n900 wasn't for average consumer and no, you should not be naive with ads.

I haven't seen such commercial that implies n900 being "the best phone ever", care to share a link to such ad?

e: I quess you didn't mean this one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WxiOKKF721U
btw this is probably the best ad (engadget wrote an article about it if I remember correctly) when talking about advertisement that reveals a real nature of a device.
If the link doesn't help, just use
Google Custom Search

Last edited by ossipena; 2010-11-28 at 17:37.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ossipena For This Useful Post:
simple, why it failed cause there are less intelligent people in the world maybie?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to snuski For This Useful Post:
Posts: 752 | Thanked: 284 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Malaysia
Originally Posted by Crashdamage View Post
Yeah, Nokia is really ticked off that the N900/Maemo project was such an utter failure. So much so that they bet the future of the company on MeeGo -- the direct offspring of Maemo - and made the N900 the reference device for MeeGo handset development. Clearly they think the N900/Maemo is crap and want to pretend it never happened. And those major OS updates we've gotten were just Nokia's wiley attempts to fool us into thinking they actually were supporting the device.

I'm bent because Nokia hasn't announced support for flash 11.0 or MeeGo 3.0 on the N900. What are they doing??
Maybe I don't understand... But I'm pretty sure no PC/Laptop manufacturer would design their new models based on older OS when there's a newer one out there. That's how things worked, and that how it'll always work right? If Nokia designed the next generation models based on Maemo (when there's Meego out there), that device would have been a complete failure from the start!

Before Meego, Nokia folks may have had high hopes for Maemo (N900) in all it's potential, who knows? I still think the N900 did NOT fail on consumer market. It served a lot of people here.

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Originally Posted by snuski View Post
simple, why it failed cause there are less intelligent people in the world maybie?
Rrrriigggghhht.

If only any of the following traits can be directly linked to one's intelligence:

- Being well versed in *nix.
- An infinite affinity toward FOSS.
- Using an uncommon, non popular platform.
- Being the parties getting the short end of a stick in a business dealing (customer vs vendor relationship).

Nope, I don't see the direct links even in this one-dimensional race that seems to be in everyone's mind here.
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

The Following User Says Thank You to ysss For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
An interesting article by J Carmack about developing on iOS and Android, mobile gaming, etc:

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2010/11/post-8.ars

JS: With Android, you guys had said last year that you were testing out Android, and doing some spot checking...

JC: It wasn't actually last year. It was couple of months ago. I've actually got the Android dev kit installed on a few platforms down here. The official word here is that we are definitely going to get some games compiled on the Android platform, but we are not yet committed to selling something on the Marketplace. Because I'm honestly still a little scared of the support burden and the effort that it's going to take for our products, which are very graphics-intensive.

The iOS platform has really been a pleasure to work on compared to all of the... half of the reason for us ditching the old feature phones was that it was so much more pleasant to develop for iOS. And I fear that we would be slipping back into some of that quagmire on the Android side of things. But there's no doubt that the installed user base is huge, and is getting larger all the time. So it's something that we'll have to keep an eye on. But it's not yet clear whether we're going to have this Rage project available in the Android Marketplace or not.

JS: OK. So you could say that Apple's platform is more console-esque, I suppose.

JC: Yes. The HD version of Rage is 1.4GB installed, and all the world geometry is using 2-bit PowerVR texture compression. If we went to one of the other platforms that's not PowerVR-based, we'd be stuck with a 4-bit texture compression format, and that pushes the size over 2GB. And the Android Marketplace doesn't even let you download more than 20 or 30MB, and you have to end up setting up your own server and doing your own transfer for all of that. Dealing with the user interface of managing space... there's a lot of things that happen automagically for us on iOS that we'll have to deal with particularly on the Android space. And that's not a lot of work that's going to be huge heaps of fun to do. It's going to be dreary, tedious work that I would certainly push on somebody else personally, but I'm not sure that even as a company it's something that we want to be involved in.

Even in the old days of the feature phone world, we always had EA Mobile or JAMDAT to build the 300 or 400 SKUs that they had for all the worldwide feature phone splits that we had from our four base versions. And we may yet wind up partnering with somebody else to do that level of broad support, but that's a little less satisfying when we're doing something that's pushing the limit graphically, because you don't have a second-tier company port your stuff to other graphics architectures and expect it to remain cutting-edge.
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

I object to the statement that the N900 failed in hardware. It's the best gift box on the market, considering hardware features. How many other XVID phones on the market can send SMS text, song info or potentially car navigation info to a non-bluetooth enabled car stereo display? Not too many. How many other wireless network enabled phones on the market has video output? Competition isn't that great. (Yet)

This phone is the mostest, bestest piece of hardware EVAR. And it's black. Let's not underestimate the power of black.

On the other side, anyone who both claims that this phone wasn't marketed at regular consumers and that those who saw the ads and were influenced by them are idiots, clearly is one him- or herself. And needs a thorough spanking. That's apologism at it's very worst. I object.

I edited this post cause I were mixing eggs and baskets.

Last edited by volt; 2010-12-01 at 16:05.

Posts: 319 | Thanked: 289 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Lisboa, Portugal
Originally Posted by ysss View Post
An interesting article by J Carmack about developing on iOS and Android, mobile gaming, etc:

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2010/11/post-8.ars
Sorry man but how is this related to N900 failing in the consumer market? Maybe I jumped on the middle of the moving train but I see no reference whatsoever to N900/Nokia. N900 Pre-dated the whole caboodle of "Qt as platform" and "MeeGo is da future".

Something in Nokia must really have ticked you off. :P Did they fire you? Or stole your lunch?

I know... They sold the N900 and now all of these posts "iPhone x N900" in TMO pissed you off. :P

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HangLoose For This Useful Post:

Tags
making popcorn, op stop posting