Posts: 1,067 | Thanked: 2,383 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Finland
Originally Posted by ste-phan View Post
Says the NSA?

When the OS gains popularity they may need that extra security engineer. That is why I wish he / she gets hired soon enough or better, gets not hired , and does what he / she does out of principle and pure enjoyment.
Ah, maybe I haven't mentioned, but I'm currently the sailor who is responsible for security and locking areas for Jolla device.

So says me.

But we can always use help from extra security engineer when the OS gains popularity... just hoping that we never need to bring Aegis back.

The Following 26 Users Say Thank You to rainisto For This Useful Post:
Posts: 702 | Thanked: 2,059 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ UK
Originally Posted by rainisto View Post
But we can always use help from extra security engineer when the OS gains popularity... just hoping that we never need to bring Aegis back.
I'm available!

Oh that's not what you meant.

The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to aegis For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by aegis View Post
I'm available!

Oh that's not what you meant.
LOL quite funny.
Disclaimer: all my posts in this forum are personal trolling and I never post in any official capacity on behalf of any company.

The Following User Says Thank You to rainisto For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,355 | Thanked: 5,249 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Barcelona
just hoping that we never need to bring Aegis back.
Aegis is sadly terrible, IMO, because of three things:
- Lack of token granularity (arguably this is hard to improve because it forces a server-client IPC architecture _everywhere_, and eventually you obtain something like Android has)
- User not in control.
- Integrity validation crap.

If all 3 issues can be fixed -- then I would actually willingly install such a "security" platform on my device. Because the ability to prevent $RANDOM_STORE_PROGRAMS from placing phone calls is interesting.

Last edited by javispedro; 2013-12-13 at 16:32.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to javispedro For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by javispedro View Post
Because the ability to prevent $RANDOM_STORE_PROGRAMS from placing phone calls is interesting.
Store programs should not be able to place random phone calls nor hidden sms messages. All those things that can cause costs to end users should basicly open sailfish sms and phone applications, and end user needs to manually press send or call button.

But of course if you sideload root suid applications while in developer mode, then $RANDOM_NON-STORE_NATIVE_APPS can cause you costs by sending hidden smses. (Android apps cant make hidden phonecalls nor sms messages).
Disclaimer: all my posts in this forum are personal trolling and I never post in any official capacity on behalf of any company.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to rainisto For This Useful Post:
Dont worry, there are no NSA backdoors in Sailfish OS.
as long as you are not doing: Facebook, twitter, whatsapp, skype... what are your favorite android apps?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cy8aer For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by cy8aer View Post
as long as you are not doing: Facebook, twitter, whatsapp, skype... what are your favorite android apps?
Android compatibility layer is not part of Sailfish OS. We cannot of course know whats inside propriatary android binaries that you download from different stores.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rainisto For This Useful Post:
Posts: 485 | Thanked: 708 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Galiza
Ah, maybe I haven't mentioned, but I'm currently the sailor who is responsible for security and locking areas for Jolla device.

So says me.
Where's itsnotabigtruck? Miss him.

Originally Posted by Hariainm View Post
Where's itsnotabigtruck? Miss him.
I saw him on irc few days ago. Maybe he is disapointed that there is nothing to crack in Jolla as we are just using Unix permissions in device and offer _real_ root for developers.

The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to rainisto For This Useful Post:
Android compatibility layer is not part of Sailfish OS. We cannot of course know whats inside propriatary android binaries that you download from different stores.
sorry I did not meant that but I am shure that many people think that the phone is save and they install every stuff which is "missing" in SailfishOS from android and than then ...