Active Topics

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
That's possible - the "finger friendly" GUI does look a bit like Canola and I don't mean to be unkind to Canola but that suggests the device is "dumbed down" so it may indeed be more restrictive than the Nokia platform.

I suspect that since Intel are only offering reference platforms (ie. example hardware) that anyone can put whatever they want on the device once the hardware is for sale, and since it will be mostly based on PC hardware I imagine there might be several distributions and GUIs offered in the long term - whether a desktop GUI is appropriate for this type of device is up for debate.

Lets hope this sends a wakeup call to Nokia to get the butt in gear, I'm tired of running beta software!

Last edited by blee; 2007-04-17 at 02:11.

does the n800 is vocal recognition capable ?

does the n800 is Speech Recognition software capable ?

does it possible to implement it ?

does canola can be configurable for launching other software sush as web navigator or gps software ... ?

Originally Posted by fpp View Post
Even if twice the weight, and half the battery life ? :-)

Exactly! I use atleast 10 hours of battery life DAILY on my Nokia N800 (I work 12 hour shifts) and I want this all to weigh under 1 pound. I do not need more power or a 100% stable operating system (except the Java does make me envious).

i reading informations from intel about the futur Mid technology... and i thinks that a good things for us but bad for nokia ... because the price of the "umpc" must dicrease and internet tablet as n800 will die. and if nokia has no new internet tablet project )

now we will stand for avaiblilty of MID and PRICE !! the big problem

Posts: 213 | Thanked: 27 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Barbados
What is the power consumption of the N800 Processor? The AMD Geode uses0.9-1.5 Watts at 800Mhz, and the Intel Stealey used in the new devices is supposed to consume 3 Watts.

Posts: 242 | Thanked: 8 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ USA & BharatVarsh ( INDIA - Kerala ).
Everything said and done, I think Nokia is going to meet its match. Intel is notorious for hardballing Industry bigwigs. There have been so many little industries that Intel gobbled up in its wake. Not that this will happen to Nokia. Intel is like a gorilla, who at any instance can go berserk on you. I worked for Intel, and to some tiny little extent, I like to think that I know how they think. If they seriously get into this MID business then Nokia better watch out. With the money, power and the clout that Intel has it may just as well beat the crap out of Nokia. The fact that Intel MIDs will be using a Chinese flavor of Linux is also a wake up call for Nokia who did not care much and would not / could not make the most of the cool hand they dealt to themselves.

Unless and until someone at ITT has personal experience with the Intel MIDs we cannot say much but from what we hear and see, the MIDs will be a very strong challenge for Nokia. If they do not come up with some way to keep their loyal fan base happy then it could be a lost cause. It maybe possible that Nokia is already worried about this and so we may see better Nokia ITs soon.

We know that initially Nokia was able to attract us with their ITs but gradually we found out that they were just testing the waters. When finally they decided to get serious we see that they are not putting enough efforts behind their products (other than the phones perhaps) and this could be the main cause of their downfall. Now that they have attracted the gorilla, they better learn to live with it or at least tame it. They surely need to keep their fan base satisfied or it could be bye-bye Nokia.

Last edited by Arjun; 2007-04-18 at 15:39.

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
Here is an article with a youtube video of an Intel MID tablet booting XP:

http://www.umpcportal.com/modules/ne...hp?storyid=506

It's hellishly slow - the demonstrator even thinks the battery has died mid way through the boot, hehe!

The device itself looks very nice though - "runs on cell phone batteries" (hopefully just the one!) and lasts "4 to 6 hours". This could be huge in 2008 for Intel and if (big if) the battery figures for the Intel 45nm CPU are correct it could give ARM cores a run for their money.

Nokia, start talking to AMD and see what low power x86 processors they have up their sleeves!!!