Active Topics

This will be my first Nokia device and was wondering what those of you that have been around the Nokia camp thought on this issue.

Thanks in advance!

Can someone put this one to bed quickly by answering;

a) Is the N900 CAPABLE of MMS? Why do I remember reading something about it being something to do with missing stacks. Personally I couldn't care less about MMS, never use it - just curious.

b) If capable, then it should be an easy enough process developing an app for MMS if Nokia don't support it directly?

Posts: 547 | Thanked: 1,383 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Stockholm, Sweden
No word on wether Nokia will do it or not - the community is planning on doing it though!

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=32129

In short, the thing it's not capable of atm is maintaining connections to both the MMSC and whatever other connection you happen to have open at the time (ie 3G data or whatever). If you read the link above (the last few pages) we have a few community members hacking away (quite succesfully by the looks, so far) at implementing this.

No promises, but I do hope to have basic MMS support in before new year (i.e. send/receive when not using a data connection currently).

Problem with fMMS? Run in x-terminal: cp /tmp/fmms.log /home/user/MyDocs/
After that you'll see fmms.log in filemanager or when you connect the device to your desktop as a mass storage device.
E-mail the log to me, if you don't have the email address, drop me a PM. Thanks!

fMMS - MMS for your N900
fAPN - GUI for adding a new GPRS APN
If you like this post, don't be shy to thank me -->

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to frals For This Useful Post:
Hey guys,

do you really think Nokia won't support MMS?
The world's largests mobile phone company?

Oh no - the answer is: The N900 is a mobile computer with some phone capabilities.
And MMS is for sure not a feature to have implemented at the first step.
So I think they better use their manpower concentrating on other features first.

But ....wait and see. I think MMS will come in a future firmware version.

asys3

Nice to know.

I have never owned a device with such support. Within the last 4 years, I have been on iPhones and a Palm Pre.

Looking forward to a breath of fresh air. I just hope T-Mobile works well in my area as this will be my personal/business all in one phone.

Posts: 24 | Thanked: 22 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Bologna - Italy
Just a Questione : But if you have full e-mail function ( with attachment and html function ) ... What you need to use mms ?

Posts: 31 | Thanked: 19 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Edinburgh
Originally Posted by matteone View Post
Just a Questione : But if you have full e-mail function ( with attachment and html function ) ... What you need to use mms ?
To send pictures to people with mobile phones, who don't use email (eg my mum!). Also to receive pictures from those people (although some operators will text you a link to the picture on the web)

The Following User Says Thank You to dtrouton For This Useful Post:
The problem IMO is not sending MMS since you can send emails, but recieving MMS...

Used to be a fun feature some years back, but cant remember when last I used it.
It is still a feature that some might use.

My mother still sends me pictures from wherever she happens to be that day if she spots something worth snapping. It's a simple and intuitive way to send something.

Take Picture-> Press Send -> Press "by MMS" -> Select Recipient -> Send it .
From my perspective I just receive a mesage on my phone with a picture in it. I don't have to connect to the web, I don't have to download it from a link, it's just there.

Tags
my search is broken