Posts: 546 | Thanked: 85 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Winnipeg, Canada
Hey all. I'm really interested in trying Deblet out on my N810, but with the effort involved in getting it running & then going back to OS2008 if it doesn't work out, I'd really like to know beforehand what I'd be getting myself into . So here's my list of major concerns (in no particular order of importance). What does & doesn't work (yet), and how easy are they to set up?

1) GPS & Mapping?

2) Sound & music playing?

3) Video Playback (according to the hack challenge thread mplayer doesn't work yet)?

4) Video recording? (the homepage shows a screenshot of Cheese )

4) wifi connectivity?

5) bluetooth connectivity?

6) PIM?

7) Email?

8) Book reading?

9) keyboard functionality (the homepage mentions the Fn & Chr keys not working)

That's all I can think of right now. TX
N800 | 2 x 8gb OCX SD | Boxwave Anti-glare SS | PDAir book-style case
Holux M-1200 bluetooth GPS | iGo 4-row bluetooth keyboard | Linksys USB 10/100 ethernet | Plantronics Voyager 855 BT Headset

Posts: 546 | Thanked: 85 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Winnipeg, Canada
Oh, and

10) OTG?
N800 | 2 x 8gb OCX SD | Boxwave Anti-glare SS | PDAir book-style case
Holux M-1200 bluetooth GPS | iGo 4-row bluetooth keyboard | Linksys USB 10/100 ethernet | Plantronics Voyager 855 BT Headset

Posts: 1,671 | Thanked: 11,478 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland
I will answer these questions, but Deblet is a bit put aside for the 'Mer' project - which hopefully will be the successor of Deblet. I can recommend looking into contributing in that area, read http://maemo.org/community/council/c...er_2008-part_i for more. As this has a lot more potential for the tablets, bringing best of both words.

1) GPS & Mapping?

Mapping, if you can find it in Debian, it's there

2) Sound & music playing?

As far as I know, DSP drivers should work, but it's not perfect. Music players that Debian has, we usually have..

3) Video Playback (according to the hack challenge thread mplayer doesn't work yet)?

It may work but not accelerated - if it does xv acceleration it can work, but I'm not sure of quality

4) Video recording? (the homepage shows a screenshot of Cheese )

Cheese worked out of the box but was kinda slow - I didn't try video recording, but as it's V4L ..

4) wifi connectivity?

Yes, with power saving too. NetworkManager like on PCs.

5) bluetooth connectivity?

Yes, BlueZ.

6) PIM?
7) Email?
8) Book reading?

.. Debian (packages.debian.org again)

9) keyboard functionality (the homepage mentions the Fn & Chr keys not working)

I'm not sure if I got that included in my patches.

10) OTG?

USB host should work. Gadget isn't loaded automatically, so.

But again, follow Mer development. When we get things going and compiled, we hope we will have quite an interesting system.
As you go on to other communities, remember to build them around politeness, respect, trust and humility. Be wary of poisonous people and deal with them before they end up killing your community.. Seen it happen to too many IRC channels, forums, open source projects.

Sound and music work fine.. I like GMPC better than the Maemo stuff anyway.

Video playback works in non-fullscreen with modifications. But it's not perfect yet, obviously.

Bluetooth connectivity works but I haven't gotten tethering to work yet.

Keyboard works fine with my xmodmap files. Though the CHR key still doesn't work because there isn't a "character" app in debian that I'm aware of.

USB works the same as in Maemo that I've noticed. You have to switch it to host mode for Keyboards and stuch.. I've never tried it in "slave" mode.

I need to catch up on this MER thing.
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!

Posts: 46 | Thanked: 16 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Edmonton, AB, Canada
Hi!

I still haven't had the chance to install Deblet on my 770 (bad RS-MMC card, had me swearing for quite a while), but I have ordered a 4 Gb SD card which can, hopefully, be mutilated so it fits. :-)

I was planning to install Deblet after I get that working, but I don't know if I should get involved with Mer instead. What is the attitude towards the 770?

Posts: 1,671 | Thanked: 11,478 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland
Originally Posted by pablob View Post
I was planning to install Deblet after I get that working, but I don't know if I should get involved with Mer instead. What is the attitude towards the 770?
Go for Mer instead, - Deblet's successor is this. Mer attitude towards 770 is good, but it will require a RS-MMC and probably not fit in flash, so. If you're not afraid of getting your hands dirty with this stuff, join in on #maemo on freenode, #reconstructedPOC on jaiku (private message me your e-mail for an invite), and look into http://wiki.maemo.org/Mer_Blueprint.
As you go on to other communities, remember to build them around politeness, respect, trust and humility. Be wary of poisonous people and deal with them before they end up killing your community.. Seen it happen to too many IRC channels, forums, open source projects.

The Following User Says Thank You to Stskeeps For This Useful Post:
Posts: 46 | Thanked: 16 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Edmonton, AB, Canada
Great! I'll wait until I can get the extra card working, and then I'll try to dive into it (I'm crossing my fingers I'll have enough time...)

how did you get wifi to work? i just installed deblet with lxde using the installer but once i get to the desktop it only shows 2 network manager icons in the bottom right corner and says no network interface when i click on them.

Tags
debian, deblet