Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 3,328 | Thanked: 4,476 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Poland
Please promote to extras!

Posts: 355 | Thanked: 205 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Germany
I cannot promote. Wrong package versions went into extras.
Nobody replied to my bug reports for the repos.

Posts: 3,328 | Thanked: 4,476 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Poland
But the version you said to be voting for has already 8 karma of 6
(8.62.dfsg.1-maemo6)
After all you can make it version 8.62.dfsg.1-maemo7 and try to promote this one

Originally Posted by mase View Post
Yes, it is,
I'd like to print from my N900 to the HP Officejet Pro 8100.
Network is ok and should work.

There was some talk about wrong packages in extras.
So which packages do I need and where do I find them?

Thanks in advance.

Sorry for bumping this... but...

is the working Version of CUPS now in the repositorys? Or which one do i have to get? I am really looking forward to this... or what can I do, to forward this?
Many thanks for your work right now. I would really love to see that one working here.

best

On the other hand, does anyone have success with printer connected directly to N900 via USB cable and hostmode?

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following User Says Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,455 | Thanked: 3,309 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Rochester, NY
Originally Posted by Estel View Post
On the other hand, does anyone have success with printer connected directly to N900 via USB cable and hostmode?

/Estel
Most of my printing is done via wifi or bluetooth. I've not tried a USB printer dongle though I do have one. I'm not sure there are proper modules in the kernel, but I haven't looked. Is dev_lp being compiled for the N900 as a module? I'd bet not, since it's often not even on by default for desktops these days. Finding a MB with parallel is a challenge these days... Even the PCI boards are becoming rare, and I think there's only 1 or 2 manufacturers of PCIe boards.

I'm not sure if we're talking about the same thing. I wasn't thinking about parallel-to-USB adapter and connecting this way to N900 - I thought about regular printer connected to computer via USB cable, which we would just connect to N900 via hostmode (like we connect it to USB of Debian-powered desktop computer, for example).

Sorry if I'm talking some BS here

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
-
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

Posts: 1,455 | Thanked: 3,309 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Rochester, NY
Originally Posted by Estel View Post
I'm not sure if we're talking about the same thing. I wasn't thinking about parallel-to-USB adapter and connecting this way to N900 - I thought about regular printer connected to computer via USB cable, which we would just connect to N900 via hostmode (like we connect it to USB of Debian-powered desktop computer, for example).

Sorry if I'm talking some BS here

/Estel
Well, then I can tell you good odds the drivers aren't in the kernel tree, since printer device signatures for USB would not be in there. Some printers emulate a standard parallel port, others emulate something totally random and device specific. (A few of the HPs actually do IP over USB... so they may work if you compile/force the USB strings in?)

But out of the box, the answer for that is going to be a definite no. Far better off with something that can handle bluetooth or better can connect in some way to the same wifi network you N900 can connect to and give it a perm IP.

The Following User Says Thank You to woody14619 For This Useful Post:
Thanks for answer. How it looks in desktop linux distros (ultra-noob question - everyone can laugh at me, but I got zero printing experience on Linux... It's funny, but I do CNC via linux, yet haven't ever printed anything via it )? Maybe we can just ask KP team to include necessary modules?

I remember reading somewhere about less and less linux-friendly printers implementation, which would seem odd to me.

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
-
-