Originally Posted by qgil View Post
Translation to end users: getting MeeGo apps to run on top of Maemo 5 shouldn't be a rocket science and maybe they just work. MeeGo will attract more developers to this API = more apps = more joy for N900 users.

About supporting officially the entire MeeGo running on the N900 hardware, it's a business decision and Nokia hasn't communicate the plans. In any case MeeGo is entirely open source, and the hardware adaptation is already in place in Maemo 5. If someone was thinking in running Mer in the N900, now the alternative is run the MeeGo stack instead. Less work on the boring and complex low level stuff and more fun in the layers that really interest to end users.
Quim, that is all fine and nice, and in the long run it might be the right decision.

However: for current N900 users it _makes_ a difference whether N900 will be upgraded to meego or not. Even if there is source compatibility of the apps, this does not mean that developers will compile their apps for both - meego and n900 aka maemo 5. esp if maemo uses deb and meego uses rpms.

What I do not understand: if it is so easy to port meego to different hardware: why does nokia not just do it - maybe as proof of concept - and make many N900 users happy instead of angry?

And if Nokia does not intend to port meego to N900: just be honest with your customers and do what is at the heart of your business: communicate. This is also a question of honor. Empty words like it is easy to backport apps doesnt help anyone.

just my 2ct as a quite fresh N900 user. Hoping toget more clarity the next days.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to modeless For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Originally Posted by qgil View Post
In all honesty, the parts of the project that have been decided without public discussion are the kind of things that would not be discussed publicly anyway by the Maemo or Moblin teams alone. Maemo didn't discuss the move to Qt and Moblin didn't discuss the move to rpm, to give a couple of examples.

What has been left basically untouched to be discussed publicly are most of the community aspects, the ones that were not required to be decided prior to the launch today. These are actually the points that have a direct an immediate impact in the maemo community, and I'm a but surprised that haven't been mentioned yet.

Talk? Council? Karma? Brainstorm? Transifex? GForge? Documentation process?.... (long etc)

See http://wiki.meego.com/Maemo_and_Moblin_community_assets
Believe me, we're definitely thinking about it. The changes are so huge that it's going to take a little while before everything sinks in and we see how much work this implies.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to zerojay For This Useful Post:
Posts: 319 | Thanked: 289 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Lisboa, Portugal
Originally Posted by salawat View Post
i dunno what to do know? shall i sell my n900 and wait for these new devices i dont want my n900 to be forgotten!
May I ask what would you be getting? Would you be phone-less for this time? Btw, I think you missed the part that the Apps for MeeGo can be ported to N900. Qt4.6 is right around the corner... Just wait a teeny weeny bit.

One thing is for sure... I was already excited to buy the new Maemo 6 device. Now I cant explain how thrilled I am to see what the heck is going to come out from Espoo's ol'bakery...

so Meego has been in the offing since last spring.

N900 released just before christmas without any hint that it's OS would be out of date.

surely I've just been mugged by Nokia.

Originally Posted by HangLoose View Post
May I ask what would you be getting? Would you be phone-less for this time? Btw, I think you missed the part that the Apps for MeeGo can be ported to N900. Qt4.6 is right around the corner... Just wait a teeny weeny bit.

One thing is for sure... I was already excited to buy the new Maemo 6 device. Now I cant explain how thrilled I am to see what the heck is going to come out from Espoo's ol'bakery...
no i wouldnt be phone-less, i really love my n900 but as you said apps for MeeGo can be ported to n900, this means that it will be done via the community not direct from nokia so will not be official.

yeah..couldn't see this coming...
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=33750

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to bazz For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11 | Thanked: 31 times | Joined on Nov 2008 @ Denmark
from http://meego.com/about/faq:

* Will MeeGo use .rpm or .deb as its packaging system?
* MeeGo will use the .rpm format

That's just too bad IMO. .rpm is inferior in every way to .deb.

The Following 23 Users Say Thank You to lasseaagren For This Useful Post:
Posts: 46 | Thanked: 26 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Helsinki
Lol @ all the people panicking to sell their phones while there is clearly more evidence that MeeGo will run on the N900 than against it (the faq). Althought nothing conclusive has been officially stated, isn't it a bit silly to assume that this means it wont?

I think MeeGo sounds great. I mean, Maemo isn't even 100% open source. MeeGo is. Long live open source

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jaywink For This Useful Post:
Posts: 999 | Thanked: 1,117 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ earth?
It doesn't matter if Nokia refuse to port MeeGo / Maemo 6 to the n900 - members of the community will do it - it's open source.

With these developments we have more choice and actullay more support.

One way or another the n900 will get an upgrade of some kind.

There's no way I am willing to spend at least another £500ish on the "next shiney thing" especially in the next 2-3 years - I bet many other people feel the same way.
So it is inevitable that the n900 will continue to get support of some kind.

It's all good news!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to johnel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 319 | Thanked: 289 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Lisboa, Portugal
Originally Posted by salawat View Post
no i wouldnt be phone-less, i really love my n900 but as you said apps for MeeGo can be ported to n900, this means that it will be done via the community not direct from nokia so will not be official.
I dont understand what you mean with Apps then...
All the Apps, aside from the ones that come from Nokia (built in apps), are either created by community/individuals or by some company. For example, skype, evince, firefox, flash, plugins for messaging accounts(msn and so on) are all apps not created by Nokia and used in the N900/M5.

What I mean is, if Spotify decides tomorrow to create an App with 4.6 for MeeGo this App can be ported to N900. Just like they did with all of those Symbian phones.

The Following User Says Thank You to HangLoose For This Useful Post:

Tags
let maemo live!, maemo vs. moblin war, rpm vs. deb war