Active Topics

Originally Posted by sunwong View Post
Well I don't know what it is, but one thing is sure: Meego Handset development and QA is being done almost exclusively under the iCDK and nCDK reference designs, which are both based on Medfield. You can find that info easily on any recent QA report for the Meego Handset weekly image.
You sure about the nCDK? I know the iCDK is Intel based but, IIRC, the nCDK is ST-E U8500 based.

N900 is still supported and there is development taking place, but I wouldn't bet on Meego debutting on an OMAP3 platform.
OMAP3 is just the bare minimum baseline. Nokia can't let it debut on OMAP3 unless it's accompanied by something higher end at the same time.

Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by wmarone View Post
You sure about the nCDK? I know the iCDK is Intel based but, IIRC, the nCDK is ST-E U8500 based.

OMAP3 is just the bare minimum baseline. Nokia can't let it debut on OMAP3 unless it's accompanied by something higher end at the same time.
Take a look at the QA report it clearly says ia32 image.

But my guess is its not a nokia..

Posts: 289 | Thanked: 560 times | Joined on May 2009 @ Tampere, Finland
Originally Posted by sunwong View Post
Well I don't know what it is, but one thing is sure: Meego Handset development and QA is being done almost exclusively under the iCDK and nCDK reference designs, which are both based on Medfield. You can find that info easily on any recent QA report for the Meego Handset weekly image.

N900 is still supported and there is development taking place, but I wouldn't bet on Meego debutting on an OMAP3 platform.
1) You are dismissing Harmattan, which IMO is likelier on the first Nokia "MeeGo" device than MeeGo proper. That testing wouldn't be done in the open.

2) I'm pretty sure Nokia has their own platform/product testing organisation that works behind closed doors, not in meego.com.

For these two reasons I wouldn't draw too much conclusions at least about the first Nokia products based on what happens in meego.com.

Originally Posted by wmarone View Post
The (MFLD) nCDK is Medfield. There was a bug report with an attached picture of a dev board. The report clearly stated the platform it was tested on is MFLD nCDK. The board however looked similar to to the U8500 dev board. People made fancy pictures with red circles showing the similarities, but no-one bothered to point out the differences. My take is that the screen mount is pretty standard which is why they look similar.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jsa For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by jsa View Post
My take is that the screen mount is pretty standard which is why they look similar.
Makes sense. Most of the modular development platforms I've seen have the CPU and its support hardware (RAM, etc) isolated on a module while everything else is on a larger breakout type board.

The Following User Says Thank You to wmarone For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,463 | Thanked: 1,916 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Edmonton, AB
Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post
More likely nextgen ava, Two reasons, cause if I remember right Nokia has theyr own nfc chip and Modems...

Intresting to see Atmel QTouch chip . Atmel seems to be very opensource (atleast on AVR8/32 bits AFAIK)
Hmm I dunno, if you look at the meego code, nokia guys wrote the driver for the PN544 NFC chip, and from code like this you can guess it's going to be part of the medfield platform:
+ This driver can also be built as a module. If so, the module
+ will be called mfld_nfc

Originally Posted by Creamy Goodness View Post
Hmm I dunno, if you look at the meego code, nokia guys wrote the driver for the PN544 NFC chip, and from code like this you can guess it's going to be part of the medfield platform:
+ This driver can also be built as a module. If so, the module
+ will be called mfld_nfc
A great atleast we can hope on NFC on Nokias meego phones then if it actually was Nokia people working on the nfc stack :-D

But still I dont think nCDK is nokia. I mean even the n900 has Nokias own modem? Or is I remember wrong :-O

haha look at this:
http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.comp...go.kernel/1382
14MP camera? yes please (for iCDK though)

Originally Posted by Creamy Goodness View Post
haha look at this:
http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.comp...go.kernel/1382
14MP camera? yes please (for iCDK though)
yup latest rumor is too have meego on DSLR cameras like Canon and Nikon Or else it just stupid pointless..

Pointless? Yes. I have a camera with a special CCD sensor where the pixels are arranged in a unique pattern to optimize color quality and reduce noise. It can also simultaneously capture two images of the same scene and combine them to make an instant HDR photo. Or, it can just take one picture with extra high sensitivity or at the highest possible resolution. So, it's a 12MP sensor but is combining two 6MP images together quite often. I'd prefer to see some cool technology like that, but unless you see a Fuji logo on the phone, don't count on it...

So yeah, we can pull apart the code again and see it supports full manual controls, max 1600 ISO, 100 fstops, 1080p video. Whatever. They could still write a crippled UI or put a shitty lens on it.

You know what's more interesting? They mention the secondary camera driver, I thought it's boring, who cares about that, but the OV2720 actually shows an existing product, and it does 1080p too. So, they want to give us TWO good cameras? I think they put too much work into this crap to not ship a version to the public, but it doesn't look like I can afford it.

where did the conference pic go? the whole post deleted. hmmmm.

The Following User Says Thank You to Creamy Goodness For This Useful Post:

Tags
armchairanalyst