Active Topics

A number of people have given me pages with Flash links but when I click on many of them it seems like I am going around in loops. More than a few are dead or will not let me in .
I would appreciate it if someone could provide me with active links that can provide insturctions and the software I need to flash my N810 that has a plugged up memory for some unknow reason. I am not a coder and never screwed with the O/S or any software code. It just is plugged up for some unknow reason. NO... I have not stuffed it full of anything.. It is empty of any files.
So... yes some have given me some links but they took me to a dead end. Someone also said I need some type of special program for XP to also get this thing done.
Wish I did not have to bother anyone on this but the operating manuals that came with the tablet are useless. They do not expain Flashing... or much of anything for that matter.

The Following User Says Thank You to buffalo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,117 | Thanked: 8,901 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
what about selling it to me?

Please consider your membership / supporting Maemo e.V. and help to spread this by following/copying this link to your TMO signature:
[MC eV] Maemo Community eV membership application, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94257

editsignature, http://talk.maemo.org/profile.php?do=editsignature

The Following User Says Thank You to peterleinchen For This Useful Post:
Well, it cost me 349.00 bucks US... So what do you offer? I have to original box, worthless instuction manuals.. misplaced the auto bracket since I never used it as a GPS. A/c and D/c cords.

The Following User Says Thank You to buffalo For This Useful Post:
Sent you a PM.

If you decide in favor of rather keeping it, then this may lead you a bit into the world of N810 (Maemo).
http://www.arachnoid.com/linux/nokia/

Please consider your membership / supporting Maemo e.V. and help to spread this by following/copying this link to your TMO signature:
[MC eV] Maemo Community eV membership application, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94257

The Following User Says Thank You to peterleinchen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 154 | Thanked: 73 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Toronto
I have posted a reply to your thread in the "General" forum, where you described your actual problem.

To summarize the problem:
Your memory does not have enough free space for you to send and receive messages through the email application, although you can still access your webmail through the browser. You have cleaned out the email Inbox, and you are puzzled that the email application says there are still 567 messages.

Have you looked at the "Sent" messages and the other folders listed under "Nokia N810"?

Reflashing seems like a drastic solution to this problem, although it is a useful skill for any Maemo user.

Maybe you have already sold your N810 to peterleinchen. Pity.

Last edited by scaler; 2013-06-27 at 17:53.

The Following User Says Thank You to scaler For This Useful Post:
The jerk wants to give my 5 bucks for the unit and I pay the shipping. I guess I look really stupid. So...no I have no intention of selling it for 5 bucks and then pay 10 bucks to ship it to him.

Just for the record...everything was deleted. sent, trash, received etc..... but memory still was out of sight. Also, delected 99% of programs and games.. Still memory ballooned to max. Something behind the vail was going on. There were no visible messages anywhere.. in trash, sent or received... a BIG ZERO.

Only thing that brought it back to normal operations was a full install.... thanks to an off line source.. All stuff offered on this message forum was junk. Old...out of date.. defective. What I hate about this digital stuff is that after a year or two regardless of the price or popularity it is obsolete junk. Almost as if it was designed by GM.
Buffalo.

Originally Posted by scaler View Post
I have posted a reply to your thread in the "General" forum, where you described your actual problem.

To summarize the problem:
Your memory does not have enough free space for you to send and receive messages through the email application, although you can still access your webmail through the browser. You have cleaned out the email Inbox, and you are puzzled that the email application says there are still 567 messages.

Have you looked at the "Sent" messages and the other folders listed under "Nokia N810"?

Reflashing seems like a drastic solution to this problem, although it is a useful skill for any Maemo user.

Maybe you have already sold your N810 to peterleinchen. Pity.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to buffalo For This Useful Post:
So, you got it running again? Nice for you.
Not so nice you did not post back your solution to this forum.

Originally Posted by buffalo View Post
The jerk wants to give my 5 bucks for the unit and I pay the shipping. I guess I look really stupid. So...no I have no intention of selling it for 5 bucks and then pay 10 bucks to ship it to him.
FU for spreading such lies.
Especially after trying to help you out!
Over.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to peterleinchen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 78 | Thanked: 109 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Washington State
Geez, lighten up on the dude. He's pissed, but having hassles with your tech can ruin anybody's day.

It sounds like you accidentally accumulated a bunch of storage somewhere in your device, in such a way that the UI level of the device couldn't find or help with it. If it was a supported Apple device this is the point you'd go talk to their "Genius Bar". talk.maemo.org is a poor man's version of such for Maemo devices! :-)

You found a way to get back to baseline, and I'm glad the problem's solved. If it happens again we could walk you through doing some stuff via a terminal window (the "du" command is the weapon of choice for such problems) and find out where the cruft had accumulated. But it may take so long that you may retire the device from service first.

Regards,
Andy Valencia

Posts: 3,139 | Thanked: 8,156 times | Joined on Feb 2013 @ From my Gabriola Island hermitage, near the Edge of the World
That would have been me ...the off site help...I finally had to resort to skydrive some of my pristine copies of the update wizard and the rx44_2008 diablo bin ...since I believe he was a bit overloaded and was having difficulty getting the necessary files himself....at first I zipped or rar'd them...but then... I had to just put them up raw...since he was having difficulty spelling his own name by then...

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...57#post1343357

...He did have difficulty getting them himself...He did get rather confusing (but truly helpfully intended) info that I'm sure spun him in circles...and for anyone unfamiliar with the device or operating system it would be daunting and confusing I'm sure...As well the predominance for some to believe that they shouldn't have to puzzle through or figure out things and that it should all be done for them...means that they really want an iphone...or an android device..or some other "smart" Hehe device...

Honestly....once you have done a full reinstall...it is pristine....If you start randomly or arbitrarily deleting parts of any operating system without studying the consequences..I don't care if it is an Apple or windows computer...THE SYSTEM WILL SUFFER...and you will be doing a fresh reinstall for sure. SO STOP DELETING STUFF WITHOUT READING WHAT THE CONSEQUENCES ARE FIRST.
READ THIS BEFORE GETTING RID OF STUFF

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...ghlight=ramzez

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=17663

AND LASTLY I GAVE YOU A COPY OF THIS

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=90250.....

IT HAS EVERY PERTINENT LINK YOU NEED. READ

All this not withstanding...getting upset with a community trying to help and Dissing a perfectly fabulous operating system and device line will not garner more help...To top it off...my feeling is that this help may be falling on deaf ears and it won't be the last time I fear that the forums will be clogged with this behavior from this individual...as well I do have a very hard time believing that anyone in this forum would be rude enough to basically make you "pay" to give it away....5$ for the device and costing 10$ to ship? I believe this is a gross exaggeration and misrepresents information in this forum as well as attempts to call into dispute the good-nature and integrity of another member. I am absolutely and totally with you on this peterleinchen.

O...and just wait a minute.......please refer to post #1

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=90040

And specifically note this in the paragraph from Buffalo
"Worked for years without a htich." (hitch is the intended word I believe)

So what we have here FOR ALL TO SEE is someone who has owned this FOR YEARS....YEARS!!!!!...AND USED IT CONSISTENTLY AND CONSTANTLY.... AND HAS NEVER! EVER! EVER! EVER! BOTHERED TO LEARN ANYTHING AT ALL ABOUT THE DEVICE OR THE OPERATING SYSTEM HE OWNS....AS A TOPPER HE IS NOW YEARS LATER ....ONCE HE STARTS HAVING PROBLEMS (...personally I think this a true testament to the devices ability to take abuse and neglect for years at a time and still perform) LIKE A RABID DOG ATTACKS THE DEVICE, THE OPERATING SYSTEM AND ANYONE WITHIN REACH INSTEAD PLANTING THE BLAME FIRMLY AND SQUARELY WHERE IT BELONGS....HIS OWN NEGLECT.
PERSONALLY.... THE HELP FOR HIM... FROM ME ON THIS POST IS THE LAST HELP HE'LL EVER RECEIVE.
I'M DONE.
I just noticed this post and figured that this needs to be brought to light...as well ...either having any offending posts and pointless clutter posts in the forum by Buffalo should be removed....excluding if possible... any posts that have been helpful for others....the only person's integrity that should be called into question here is Buffalo's for misleading information (I and many others totally assumed he was fresh and completely a newbie to the device and the operating system) that aside...disparaging others... confusing those who are looking for help...and trash talking the os and device is not helpful... and sucking up help that is obviously not being listened to where there are others who most definitely need the help has resulted in a COLOSSAL waste of time, energy and commitment...A ton of useless multiple posts and rants and abrasive and disparaging posts culminating now in a very upset fellow member ...peterleinchen in case of point...
I would appreciate a moderator (at the least) getting rid of all of Buffalos offending and disparaging posts...aimed at either individuals, the forum, the device or the operating system....shove them in off topic...or rants ....or wherever this behavior should go to die ....or better..... simply flush them.

Last edited by endsormeans; 2013-07-09 at 21:57.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to endsormeans For This Useful Post:
Posts: 154 | Thanked: 73 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Toronto
Originally Posted by vandys View Post
.... having hassles with your tech can ruin anybody's day.
No argument with that, but the “day” in this case was more than 7 weeks ago.

You maybe haven't tried to make sense of the four threads the “dude” started on the same problem on the Talk>Talk>General forum. However, I invite you to take a close look at his post #6 on this thread. He insists, in high dudgeon, that he deleted messages from the Trash folder of his Modest Mail application, that he has been using for years. Please think about that, very carefully. Then decide who might need to “lighten up”.

I was going to hold off on this, hoping that a long and “lightened” post on one of his other threads might give him an idea of how things work on this site. Given the experience of endsormeans, there doesn't seem to be much chance of that.

Neither you nor I know what PM's passed between buffalo and peterleinchen. We do know which of them started hurling public abuse at the other (7 weeks after the allegedly ruined day). It's not likely that he will send an apology to peterleinchen, but perhaps you could.

[EDIT: I had somehow got the impression that you were a mod on this forum. I was wrong. It makes little difference to this post, except that I was previously giving you an "out" for not looking beyond this thread when you decided to aim your nag at peterleinchen. Other than that one undeserved nag, your contributions to the forum are much appreciated.]

Last edited by scaler; 2013-06-29 at 18:59.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to scaler For This Useful Post:

Tags
full install, nokia n810