Poll: What OS will use the first Nokia netbook?
Poll Options
What OS will use the first Nokia netbook?

Nokia, the No. 1 mobile phone maker, has sealed its plans to enter the netbook race.

http://www.thestreet.com/story/10482...day-nokia.html

Some if not all of the production of the new mini-PCs will be handled by one of Nokia's original device manufacturing partners, Taiwan's Foxconn, these people say.

Nokia hinted in February that it was at the crossroads of mobile phones and PCs and that it was "looking very actively" at making netbooks.

Nokia's partnership with Foxconn would help shield the Finnish phone shop from some of the high costs of developing and making an entirely new product. Foxconn could also begin production more quickly than if Nokia took on the challenge alone.

Nokia originally struck a deal with Foxconn a few years ago when it needed a manufacturer to build phones for Verizon (VZ Quote).

------------------

Question: will be Maemo OS used in the new netbook? (most probable, yes - I don't think Symbian OS will go that far).

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Architengi For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,213 | Thanked: 356 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ California and Virginia
Windows

Why am I the only one who voted for Windows? I would vote Windows/Ubuntu, but that was not a choice. Creating a netbook without x86 is suicide (aka an "ARM book" would not survive in this market)

www.ezschool.com - The best online educational experience.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
This has been brought up before. The netbooks are being final-assembled down the street from where I live (former Nokia factory).

I applied for a job there, but the recruiter told me last week that the current listings were "dumbed down" when Foxconn (Q-Edge) started seeing the salaries... which are now cut in half.

Originally Posted by Thesandlord View Post
Windows

Why am I the only one who voted for Windows? I would vote Windows/Ubuntu, but that was not a choice. Creating a netbook without x86 is suicide (aka an "ARM book" would not survive in this market)
I dispute that. I can see $50 or more shaved off retail cost compared to an equivalent x86 netbook. This shaky market is now driven by consumer cost more than almost any other factor.

Last edited by Texrat; 2009-05-26 at 23:23.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Windows

That's a quite a bold statement given that most ARMbooks are in announcement stage and with Computex 2009 opening in a couple of days (which should see a number of ARMbooks, maybe even some sparrow action).

Also, consider this would be likely the only Windows device in the lineup so unless they plan on just being a sticker on the device, it can complicate things from a logistical standpoint quite a bit.

EDIT: if we're considering ARM, the poll should contain Android, too.

Last edited by attila77; 2009-05-26 at 23:34.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to attila77 For This Useful Post:

Creating a netbook without x86 is suicide (aka an "ARM book" would not survive in this market)
There is a Symbian port to x86 processor as well.

Not only Windows and Ubuntu run x86, but I have doubts Nokia will use a x86 processor instead of an energy wise ARM OMAP processor. Having FPU and graphic accelereation this ARM processors can go far in terms of performance (speed and energy consuption).

Posts: 1,213 | Thanked: 356 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ California and Virginia
Ok, I only said that people would want Windows because in the beginning of the netbook craze, it was supposed to be Linux's day to shine, but then the consumers said "Why don't mah Windoz work!" And now everything has XP.

Yes, some people buy a netbook to only surf the web, but these people are techies or rich, and they already will have another computer. I am going to buy a netbook for college, and it is going to be my primary computer (goodbye quadcore), and it better run Windows, OSX, or Ubuntu.

www.ezschool.com - The best online educational experience.

Posts: 1,878 | Thanked: 646 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ San Jose, CA
a) android runs on x86 as well, so it should be in the mix anyway (but i doubt that nokia would do it)

b) I don't know what OS nokia WILL choose (implied by the poll question), but I wont buy it if it's not Maemo (I already have an ubuntu netbook).

what I'd really like to see is a convertible tablet netbook (swivel screen type), 9" widescreen with dpad on the tablet face (sort of like the skynote 680), and a keyboard with full size keys (the way somme widescreen netbooks do). I'm agnostic about it having built in 3G, or Atom vs ARM.

Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Ok, I only said that people would want Windows because in the beginning of the netbook craze, it was supposed to be Linux's day to shine, but then the consumers said "Why don't mah Windoz work!" And now everything has XP.
There is a big difference - ARM netbooks will have a different use case. You would keep an ARMbook always on, just like a NIT. Even if you *could* put Windoz on it, without optimizations, it would suck the batteries dry real quick and would feel a lot more sluggish than, say, ARM ubuntu, Maemo or Android. And then you get what - bad battery life and a bad user experience (which *is* a recipe for disaster).

In those terms, NOT being able to run Windows is an advantage, as there won't be a horde of people suckered to buy it hoping it's a supercheap Atom with longer battery life and then get seriously disappointed and generating a LOT of bad PR which in turn will damage the odds of the device succeeding in markets it *would* be good for, e.g. the Linux crowd.

I am going to buy a netbook for college, and it is going to be my primary computer (goodbye quadcore), and it better run Windows, OSX, or Ubuntu.
Well, a netbook is not really meant to be a primary computer, ARM or Atom or Via... But then, a budget is a budget...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to attila77 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 772 | Thanked: 183 times | Joined on Jul 2005 @ Montclair, NJ (NYC suburbs)
Originally Posted by Architengi View Post
Nokia hinted in February that it was at the crossroads of mobile phones and PCs and that it was "looking very actively" at making netbooks.
Didn't come across our radar until more recently:
Tablets, phones and ... laptops?

The Following User Says Thank You to RogerS For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
although of course i'd love it to run maemo, the direction the maemo user interface is taking in fremantle indicates it's being optimized for smaller screens, not for larger netbook displays.

look at screenshots of the maemo 5 SDK: could you imagine something like this on a netbook?