Posts: 117 | Thanked: 32 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ New Hampshire, USA
File manager will not let me reformat the card.
"Unable to format. Memory card in use."
Virtual memory (swap?) has been disabled, and a hard reboot, but still the file system is mounted Read only.

Is this fixable, or will I have to re-flash?

Last edited by pokey; 2009-08-28 at 19:48. Reason: solved

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by pokey View Post
File manager will not let me reformat the card.
"Unable to format. Memory card in use."
Virtual memory (swap?) has been disabled, and a hard reboot, but still the file system is mounted Read only.
Have you tried connecting the tablet to a computer via USB and formatting the drive from there?

Posts: 117 | Thanked: 32 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ New Hampshire, USA
I rebooted again and this time was able to reformat. If at first you don't succeed try, try again.

So...
I had to reboot once before I could disable swap, once after disabling it to verify that it was disabled and twice more before I could format the memory card. I think the last reboot was a soft reboot, but I don't remember, because I was just messing around. I didn't expect it to work, and I was going to do it from my computer when I got home from work. I reformatted using the tool in the file manager.

Last edited by pokey; 2009-08-28 at 19:47.

Posts: 58 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Jul 2009 @ (Germany.Austria),former Yugolsavia,USA
If it ewer happens,here is what i always doo.I remove the virtual memory
take the battery out for about 15 sec.put it back in and the internal Card formats.Works awry time for me...

Originally Posted by pokey View Post
I rebooted again and this time was able to reformat. If at first you don't succeed try, try again.

So...
I had to reboot once before I could disable swap, once after disabling it to verify that it was disabled and twice more before I could format the memory card. I think the last reboot was a soft reboot, but I don't remember, because I was just messing around. I didn't expect it to work, and I was going to do it from my computer when I got home from work. I reformatted using the tool in the file manager.

Meh, if that happens I usually just reboot with the USB connected, and let it automount the drives before Maemo can get ahold of them. Then I just format and all is good.