Posts: 4,365 | Thanked: 2,467 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Australia Mate
accessing N9 thru SSH over wifi

how do you do it?

Ive activated developer mode, run SDK connect, got IP and password and attempted to gain access. What user name do you use? I tried root and user. No go.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Post PR1.1, to enable remote root login again (or rather make it controllable via
/etc/ssh/sshd_config like before):

Code:
echo -e 'mkdir -m 0755 -p /var/run/sshd\nexec /usr/sbin/sshd $SSHD_OPTS' >> /etc/default/ssh
pkill -9 /usr/sbin/sshd
annd reboot.

Last edited by F2thaK; 2011-11-12 at 02:12.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to F2thaK For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by F2thaK View Post

how do you do it?

Ive activated developer mode, run SDK connect, got IP and password and attempted to gain access. What user name do you use? I tried root and user. No go.
On N9 open terminal and run:
Code:
devel-su (password is rootme)
passwd user (and enter some password)
Then ssh in as 'user' using the password you just set.

EDIT: Not sure you need to be root for that, simple 'passwd' as user could work too.

Last edited by ukki; 2011-10-25 at 12:52.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ukki For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,365 | Thanked: 2,467 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Australia Mate

Posts: 136 | Thanked: 150 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Finland
Any problems connecting over 3G? Wifi seems to work fine for me, but attempting to connect to an N9 that is on 3G connection fails.

Originally Posted by mooglez View Post
Any problems connecting over 3G? Wifi seems to work fine for me, but attempting to connect to an N9 that is on 3G connection fails.
Are you even on the same network? Can you 'see' eachothers IPs?

Originally Posted by oweng View Post
Are you even on the same network? Can you 'see' eachothers IPs?
not on the same network

i've added the ip address that my putty is on to the N9 openssh config as an allowed host (previously only the common intranet addresses were there)

I think i had this working before i started messing with some of the settings, which is why it would be nice if someone confirmed that they can connect normally over 3G via SSH

The Following User Says Thank You to mooglez For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,808 | Thanked: 4,272 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Germany
You don't normally get a public IP when on 2G/3G, in which case you won't be able to connect from a device outside of that network.

Posts: 1,048 | Thanked: 979 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ SF Bay Area
Originally Posted by ukki View Post
On N9 open terminal and run:
Code:
devel-su (password is rootme)
passwd user (and enter some password)
Then ssh in as 'user' using the password you just set.

EDIT: Not sure you need to be root for that, simple 'passwd' as user could work too.
+1 for this post.
Also: if you do a passwd without devel-su then it refuses to change the password.
qgvnotify: Google voice and contacts notifier for diablo and maemo.

If you want to thank me, click the Thanks button.
If you'd like to thank my applications, vote to move them to extras.

The Following User Says Thank You to uvatbc For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by reinob View Post
You don't normally get a public IP when on 2G/3G, in which case you won't be able to connect from a device outside of that network.
i do on mine. worked just fine on my n900, and i think it was working for me previously on N9 also.

Posts: 79 | Thanked: 47 times | Joined on Oct 2011 @ Brisbane, AU
Originally Posted by F2thaK View Post

how do you do it?

Well, I've never used the SDK connect thing, but the way I set mine up was...

From terminal on N9:

Code:
devel-su
mkdir .ssh
su - developer
mkdir .ssh
From PC:

Code:
$ scp ~/.ssh/id_dsa.pub root@[N9's IP]:.ssh/authorized_keys
At this point you should be able to ssh from your PC to your N9 as the root user with a simple: `ssh root@IP' with no need for a passwd because it is using SSH keys.

Now all you need to do is copy /root/.ssh/authorized_keys to /home/developer/.ssh/ and make sure you chown it to the right user/group. The easiest way to do that is copy it as root to a temporary file in /home/developer/.ssh/ and then switch to the developer user and then cp it to authorized_keys file.

I tried doing the same thing with the "user" user, but for some reason it would not let me log in via ssh afterwards. But seeing as though the user "developer" has the same userid it doesn't really matter. :-)

Another good thing to do is to create a SSH key pair for the N9's user, "user". Then you can put the .pub on any machine you want to ssh to from your N9. It is very handy being able to log into my desktop at home no matter where I am in the world. :-)

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SteveYoungs For This Useful Post: