Originally Posted by GSM Arena
It was about time. Apple got quite a hit by the wave of user discontent about the iPhone 4 antenna issues. It's been 3 weeks since the premiere of iPhone 4, but it is tomorrow that Apple will confess. Or not.
And this is all we know so far. Apple sent invitations to select press representatives for tomorrow's press conference. It will start 10:00 AM Pacific Time (6 PM European GMT) and will surly concern iPhone 4. Whether Apple will admit the issues, offer free bumper cases or start a recall campaign - nobody knows. But this sounds surely as the first step into the right direction.
Meanwhile iOS 4.1 beta is already available to developers and here is a glimpse of what we should expect.
The reception bars now make use of both a new formula and a new size. The first reports show that a full-bars situation is now a rare event. The bars are also a bit taller than before, which sounds like a clever mind trick.

The new reception bars • the redesigned Game Center
The Game Center has been redesigned too. It's now painted in green with yellow buttons.
Finally, there are some rumors of watermarking of jailbroken devices. If your iPhone 4 has joined the pirateland, it will have some watermark showing onscreen all the time. Don't worry just yet though, there's still no public jailbreak solution and it's all just a rumor for now.
So Apple have realised their love child may not be perfect....Thats not my issue here, Personally after playing with the new iPhone I actually think its a pretty good product (I've even recommended my Dad get one, its perfect for his usage)

My problem is the last Paragraph, Apple adding a watermark to Jail Broken devices. Its like adding a big "Hacked" sign on N900's with modified Kernels.
What do you guys think to this news?

Just like apples protection against jailbreak the watermark feature will be removed sooner or later I hope

(i do not own iphone and dont plan on getting one )

Posts: 23 | Thanked: 7 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Northeast USA
After reading this, and reading the story about the Droid X tripping a fuse and bricking itself if it's modded; it really cements the fact that truely open source operating systems may become a safe haven for smartphone owners. Meego and Symbian might get some converts that way, who knows?

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Even though I'll get slammed for saying this... at least the company is actually talking to its customers.

There's something wrong, they may/may not address it; but they're at least talking. Most other companies would make you wait months before issuing a rather cold, impersonal, non-admission that sounds closer to "That's how it is..." and then they'll clam back up.

It won't fix anything, it won't make things better, it'll just give ammo to those that dislike Apple... and to those that like Apple, it'll give them more false hope.

But at least they're communicating with their customers.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
But at least they're communicating with their customers.
I'm of the thought that I'd rather see no communication than the disingenuous spin and manipulation that's coming from Apple on this. "Holding it wrong"? "No technical problem"?? Deleted forum posts???

Thumbs down on all that crap.

Posts: 857 | Thanked: 362 times | Joined on Feb 2009 @ London

Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
I'm of the thought that I'd rather see no communication than the disingenuous spin and manipulation that's coming from Apple on this. "Holding it wrong"? "No technical problem"?? Deleted forum posts???

Thumbs down on all that crap.
Those are all indeed all wrong. But which would you rather have? No communication or communication that says "It's in the fine print. That's how it is, tough." or that BS that Apple has been spreading?

Regardless... I have my own feelings. And non-communication is higher on my list of no-no's than bad communication (sometimes) but at this moment, Nokia and Apple are neck and neck for companies I will not purchase until they both do better.

And I own stock for both. Imagine that.

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
Originally Posted by DarkPand0r View Post
My problem is the last Paragraph, Apple adding a watermark to Jail Broken devices. Its like adding a big "Hacked" sign on N900's with modified Kernels.
What do you guys think to this news?
Apparently it's a hoax and there's nothing like it in the new 4.01 firmware. Then again I've also read that Apple won't be releasing said watermark feature just yet as they're trying to patent the idea.

The theory goes that Apple store "geniuses" will check for the watermark and declare it out of warranty should the watermark be detected.

If it ever appears I can only see it driving more Apple owners into the arms of Android.

Last edited by Milhouse; 2010-07-15 at 21:16.

Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
Those are all indeed all wrong. But which would you rather have? No communication or communication that says "It's in the fine print. That's how it is, tough." or that BS that Apple has been spreading?

Regardless... I have my own feelings. And non-communication is higher on my list of no-no's than bad communication (sometimes) but at this moment, Nokia and Apple are neck and neck for companies I will not purchase until they both do better.

And I own stock for both. Imagine that.
I say don't choose...

They both suck.

A firm "No." is one thing. May not be good news, but at least it's news, and it's not BS.

But I consider blaming Algorithms, or how you hold it, or maybe if we jump 3 times backwards... or the sound of crickets... to both be signs of both utter disrespect and uncaringness for their customers.

Just give the answer: You're either going to fix the complaint, or you aren't. Don't sugar coat it, don't ignore it, and don't treat your people like idiots: Just answer the f*ing question.

Why is that so hard for companies to do?
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!

Originally Posted by fatalsaint View Post
Why is that so hard for companies to do?
I've been wondering that same exact damn thing for a very long time myself.

Tags
let's turn off, the dim light