Active Topics

Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 1,408 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ London
Came back after months to this thread. Sweet.
Was starting to miss this community after being swallowed by the Android monster

Posts: 1,400 | Thanked: 3,751 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Arctic cold of northern .fi
Originally Posted by Stskeeps View Post
Mer has builds for MIPS too. )
OMG!

I can finally have my pocket sized Silicon Graphics Workstation. I'll start making FX for Jurassic Park VIII right away.

Posts: 1,523 | Thanked: 1,997 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ not your mom's FOSS basement
Yeah, but: it's a Un^H Linux system, you know this.

Last edited by don_falcone; 2012-09-03 at 13:03.

Originally Posted by Stskeeps View Post
Mer has builds for MIPS too. Conspiracy theories emerging?
China, mips... has sense...

Posts: 105 | Thanked: 15 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Baltimore, USA
Originally Posted by shmerl View Post
Can this thread be kept more on essential matters please? Or may be it's better to open some more serious thread about Jolla?

Stskeeps and some Jolla folks on the IRC gave some feedback and basically they can't answer most community questions. (I'm not sure if they are going to answer any really).

The question of community site for Mer derivatives was raised, and there was no consensus whether such thing is needed. What do you think? Should be there a community site (something similar to TMO but without trolling and with moderation in development forums ) for developers and users who are related to Mer derived systems like Jolla, Nemo, Plasma Active, Cordia and etc.? Is there a point in one site (http://opentablets.org may be?). TMO will become history at some point, so a new place is needed. But we don't want to end up in situation which existed with jumping between Meego.com forums, TMO forums, Nokia developer forums and etc.

Basically Stskeeps said this should be a community initiative. I.e. if community won't make such effort - the mess will ensue and no one will care to make such unified resource.
So with the current situation of the Vivaldi and I would have no problem offering OT for general forum use.

I had originally envisioned OT to be more general OpenSource OS on mobile devices anyway. I would be happy to add sections and work with the community to provide what is necessary.

-Maze

EDIT:
I guess I should mention that I am the one that put together and runs OpenTablets.org
Current thread: http://opentablets.org/topic/70-call...page__pid__588

Last edited by madmaze; 2012-09-03 at 17:41.

Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Originally Posted by shmerl View Post
Can this thread be kept more on essential matters please? Or may be it's better to open some more serious thread about Jolla?
Couldn't agree more, all the off-topic banter is a joke....

Stskeeps and some Jolla folks on the IRC gave some feedback and basically they can't answer most community questions. (I'm not sure if they are going to answer any really).
Would've been nice if we heard back from Jolla about that*, council forwarded the link to Jolla, but we only hear about this now from you
Why not address each point they can't answer & explain briefly why they can't, & for the remainder they can given a more substantive response, what's the problem?
There's no rush for them to answer ANY of it yet, we understand it's still an evolving situation, perhaps they need more time before they can address it all properly.
But in that case they should at least communicate that....

*or via the council if they really thinks that's necessary, instead of just responding directly in the document.

The question of community site for Mer derivatives was raised, and there was no consensus whether such thing is needed. What do you think? Should be there a community site (something similar to TMO but without trolling and with moderation in development forums ) for developers and users who are related to Mer derived systems like Jolla, Nemo, Plasma Active, Cordia and etc.? Is there a point in one site (http://opentablets.org may be?). TMO will become history at some point, so a new place is needed. But we don't want to end up in situation which existed with jumping between Meego.com forums, TMO forums, Nokia developer forums and etc.
Basically Stskeeps said this should be a community initiative. I.e. if community won't make such effort - the mess will ensue and no one will care to make such unified resource.
As I understand it the council's allowed to use maemo.org, but there's still come question over trademark etc, & if it will ever be released.
Stemming from this discussion, a dedicated thread's been started to determine a name for the NFP entity that's now being created.
Once that name's decided we can register a domain based on it, create a community site, & perhaps even sub-sites for all MeR derivatives & NIT.
At the moment most are going for Aeolos, see explanation, but maybe something relating to MeR is better

The more I think about it though.....
The more I think we should adopt a more descriptive name than these weird mythological names, & names derived from MeeGo (e.g. MeR).
One example = openphablet.org
It doesn't necessarily mean a portal for phablets, it's just a conjunction of phone & tablet, meaning a portal for open phones & tablets. Or perhaps OpenDevices.org?
Problem is, obvious names like that are almost always taken, so we're going to have to be more abstract, but not necessarily back to mythological names.
I'm not against mythological names per-say, but 1st I think we need to agree on whether we want everything lumped together (as asked below), then we can decide on a name.

BUT, do we really want all MeR derivatives & NIT on the one site, maybe some derivatives or NIT aren't happy with that, would it create too much distraction/noise?
Isn't it possible that some derivatives will become very different, even "under the hood", at which point it makes little sense for them to share the same community/resources?
Anyway, it's best to continue discussing all that here, this thread's about Jolla...

Last edited by jalyst; 2012-09-03 at 18:36.

Posts: 105 | Thanked: 15 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Baltimore, USA
Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
C
Or perhaps OpenDevices.org, or maybe something more abstract, but loosely relating to that?
That was actually the first domain I wanted, but its already taken

Yeah, lot's of domains are taken. Something like mobilitylibre.org is available, but it's not as catching as opendevices.org

cross posting here.. I still want to see this used some how

TMO

Talk.MOS.Org

MOS = Maemo operating systems

Then the "old too much orange" jokes can still be valid?

Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Best-off keeping it in the other thread only rather than splitting the discussion.
This thread's only about Jolla....

Tags
jolla, jolla on topic, jollamobile, meego, merproject, nokia, nokian9, professionals, speculations, tizenjolla