Notices

Originally Posted by gogol View Post
The new version of dialcentral (with notification support) seems to break something in DBUS, causing gv-notifier to not work either. I'm trying to discover why...the same error is thrown on both dialcentral and gv-notifier when they try to access alarmd settings:

Code:
DBusException: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name com.nokia.alarmd was not provided by any .service files
Yet even when I booted back into my working copy in flash, there is no such file as /usr/share/dbus-1/services/com.nokia.alarmd.service. I'm totally lost as of yet. Any ideas anyone?
I'm in the same boat http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...&postcount=165 and haven't made any progress. Let me know what you find. This has broken m/gnotifier as well.

Posts: 1,674 | Thanked: 171 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Anderson, IN
Im goning to stick with gv notifier for now since it can play a sound as well as flash the led.

Posts: 1,684 | Thanked: 1,562 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Austin, TX
gv_notifier users shouldn't fear the killing of alarmd anymore. The issue has been found and fixed. See the Dialcentral thread for further details.

Originally Posted by munky261 View Post
Im goning to stick with gv notifier for now since it can play a sound as well as flash the led.
I'm curious what people think of an idea I posted on the Dialcentral thread that is more pertinent to this thread. Is the main reason to keep using gv_notifier the custom way of handling notifications? What if I made it so you could specify an alternative notification app in settings.ini?

This way you could do led, sound, both, pop up Dialcentral (if not already open), or whatever else people would generally want.

Sound like a good compromise for sharing code/effort?

Posts: 1,674 | Thanked: 171 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Anderson, IN
Well, I cant speak for anyone else, but I only use DC these days to make calls...just dont like how the message interface looks...not discounting your hard work, just a personal preference...i have my inbox saved as a bookmark in tear and it loads faster and I like have the standalone command to stop the led from blinking.

Originally Posted by epage View Post
What if I made it so you could specify an alternative notification app in settings.ini?

This way you could do led, sound, both, pop up Dialcentral (if not already open), or whatever else people would generally want.

Sound like a good compromise for sharing code/effort?
Sounds like a great idea!!

To be completely honest I agree with munky about the message interface. In the DC thread I already stated something about how I'd like something different, but for how it is now I am definitely okay with it, I can work with it just fine . However, if you could change the UI for it, it'd sure be nice :P

Posts: 1,028 | Thanked: 578 times | Joined on Mar 2009 @ Chicago
Originally Posted by jalladin View Post
hey would you happen to know how to receive yahoo mail using the mail notifier/ native mail fetching system for the n810..
Yahoo free mail doesn't allow access from third party programs

http://help.yahoo.com/l/us/yahoo/mai...op/pop-35.html

It sucks for sure.

The thread seems dead but I guess I'll ask anyways. I'm still using this instead of the Dialcentral notifier because it supports sound. As of the past week or 2 I have been getting a lot of false positives with this. Has anyone else noticed this?

Posts: 1,359 | Thanked: 717 times | Joined on May 2009 @ ...standing right behind you...
Are all of the features from this now in DC?
AutoScan, Diablo5 Theme, Dialcentral, DragLock, EmelFM2, FlipClock, gPodder, Headphoned, Knots 2, Maemo Mapper, mPlayer, openNTPD, OpenSSH, Panucci, Personal Launcher, QuickNote, Seqretary, SlideLock, Telescope, YellowNotes

Posts: 1,684 | Thanked: 1,562 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Austin, TX
Dialcentral only officially supports LED notification. For anything else you have to edit your settngs file manually and specify a different notification system. Some examples are included in the DC package.