What do you think is the lifespan for the N900 hardware. Ignoring obsolesence from changes to technology (and the faulty usb port) I wonder how long the hardware will work.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to bradvesp For This Useful Post:
Posts: 188 | Thanked: 223 times | Joined on Apr 2013 @ Poland
I have one unit since the first days of 2010, but this unit was never used daily, but it was used heavily, with overclock to 1000, 1100mhz. Still today hardware seems to be telling "Pfff, that is all you can do?!" and lives on

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Ridd92 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 78 | Thanked: 57 times | Joined on Jun 2012 @ Hungary
That depends a lot on usage. Since there isn't much on the board which can leak, explode, probably the first issue it will face is data retention of the chips and decomposition of plastic.

If you are using it however, it will get dust, greasy, the flex cable will be worn, so obviously, lifespan will be shorter.

I am a mobile+PC collector and even some lucky laptops from 90's or even 80's still work, so it is very possible that an N900 survives 20-30 years if it hasn't been used much.

For this reason, I have one boxed in almost original condition.

Also I don't know of N900's randomly dying as LG G2s or Huawei Y550s, so probably they don't have a built-in HW fault.
Though the LCD in my original daily N900 has been replaced 2 times already, one time stuck pixels attacked, second time the chip which handles the signals (serial to parallel?) gave up. No image just heat. A lot of heat...

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to quailstorm For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Mine deliverd first day of release.

Still the same original battery, USB port still working. My bet. 50 years. But to be fair, I haven’t used it much the last 5 years.

Honstly. 49 years from now when I boot up my N900 the main issue will be:
1. To find a working sim or repacment tech
2. Connect to networks since they are probobly more advanced.

But I guess I will still be able to boot it. Will TMO still be here, will planet Earth?

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Last edited by Dave999; 2018-11-04 at 21:26.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 943 | Thanked: 3,228 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Zagreb
I gave up on it after the third digitizer

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to kinggo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,117 | Thanked: 8,901 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
I am now on my third/fourth device (iirc, cannot remember right now exact number! ).
All with 'all telephony functions disabled'.

So in my case every three years I needed a new device.
Other people were more lucky and they still work.
A lot of 'died' the USB port charging problem. (luckily not me)

So I'd say it depends heavily on usage ...

Please consider your membership / supporting Maemo e.V. and help to spread this by following/copying this link to your TMO signature:
[MC eV] Maemo Community eV membership application, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94257

editsignature, http://talk.maemo.org/profile.php?do=editsignature

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to peterleinchen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 188 | Thanked: 223 times | Joined on Apr 2013 @ Poland
Originally Posted by quailstorm View Post
That depends a lot on usage. Since there isn't much on the board which can leak, explode, probably the first issue it will face is data retention of the chips and decomposition of plastic. (...)
Originally Posted by peterleinchen View Post
(...) So I'd say it depends heavily on usage ...
Totally agree with this!

But there are three options I think

1. The full and heavy usage can kill device within 10 years if we say only of physically wearing off of the internal parts.

2. Normally used device with low or no overclocking and used with care can reach very long years.

3. Almost or not used device that will be laying down, protected will welcome you with nokia hands after 50 years or so

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ridd92 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,195 | Thanked: 2,708 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Hanoi
Interesting question.

I never worried about the CPU, even overclocked not surviving me by decades.

My concern is about the "hard disk" , it must have a certain limitation in write cycles it can support, no?
Especially with heavy swapping going on.

32GB is still standard today, and Nokia generously provided it in 2010, I suppose either all 32GB sizes were pretty high end or some corners other than it not being the fastest one around must have been cut in the process.
So far no issues though: only one GPS down and one "all telephone functions have been desabled.

And of course the batteries.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ste-phan For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,195 | Thanked: 2,708 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Hanoi
The resistive display being a "mechanical" part with complex coatings could also be prone to changes in material characteristics rendering it less efficient and finally faulty.
But I suppose it depends on storage conditions, usage, non-usage, and exposure to sunlight?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ste-phan For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,117 | Thanked: 8,901 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
[QUOTE=ste-phan]
So far no issues though: only one GPS down and one "all telephone functions have been desabled.[/]
only one and another

And of course the batteries.
which are quite outstanding and I used my first for around 5 years...

Please consider your membership / supporting Maemo e.V. and help to spread this by following/copying this link to your TMO signature:
[MC eV] Maemo Community eV membership application, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94257

editsignature, http://talk.maemo.org/profile.php?do=editsignature

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to peterleinchen For This Useful Post:

Tags
nokia n900