Posts: 1 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Talavera de la Reina (TO) - Spain
Hello.

I've got a Huawei 3G USB modem, a E169 sold by Vodafone as K3520.
I'd like to use with my N800 but I've nothing about it.
Any help would be apreciate.

Thanks

me to i have it. nice. i got here some driver based on python. trying to install.

These 3G USB modems have been discussed a number of times here. One of the biggest problems is that they suck power. I don't know about the E169, but the E220 needs at least 500 mA, which the N8x0 can't provide. So, to start with, you will need a powered hub. At that point it looks simpler to me to use a 3G phone with BT, if it's feasible for your area (and I know - it can be tricky business in the US due to those silly carrier constraints over there. In Europe it's usually easy though.)

k3520 is light one. any way that installation is needed to much dependencies of python. that's no reason to use this kind of modem, sure. but if you have two simcards (one for net and one for calls)?

You can set it up without the vodafone scripts though. You'll lose the interface to sms messages, but the data part can be handled just fine with ppp, for example. It's too long to explain here though, but a google search should get you on to some of those forums where this is extensively discussed.

Does that E169/K3520 use much less power than E220? Maybe it doesn't support HSDPA? Does it come with a split USB cable in addition to a single USB cable? That would be a strong hint that it wants power..

No, it don't come with a split USB cable, just cable, or straight to usb. It support HSDPA, i use it on my MBA.

I'm testing a different solution. Alltel has been absorbed by the Borg Verizon, so I'll lose Alltel's unlmited connectivity. The cheap solution, here, is Cricket who won't permit tethering and only has one USB modem the tablet won't power. So, I bought one of these:
http://www.zatznotfunny.com/2008-02/...o-router-ever/
to try out. It's about $200 online.
Plug modem into EVDO router, plug router into car battery and sit in rear window of car. Connect tablet to your own mobile wifi within about 120' of car. Bingo! Problem solved, so far. $40 Cricket gives me about 400-700Kbps and, so far, hasn't complained about my 10GB/mo+ consumption, even though they say they're going to throttle it over 5GB/mo. Hasn't happened so far.
I can't imagine the USB port on a tablet EVER going to power a sellphone modem.

Tags
3g modem, huawei, n800, usb