Closed Thread
I still think it's Xephyr with Maemo's device management takes up less memory than Xomap and debian controlled services...

I get worse battery life leaving Full Deblet running than I do with Maemo too.. so I think Debian in and of itself is just "bulkier" and thus it bleeds through to the WM.
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Just to clarify, in my mind, Easy Debian is the chroot scripts. The big image file is completely replaceable with any root file system. You can use deblet, Ubuntu, Red Hat, OS2007, whatever.

And I wasn't saying that I was going to let the scripts "go away," I was just hoping that my next round of scripts will be sufficient to carry over to the new world of deblet.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
This little venture deserves an award.

You are hereby entitled to 500 antiqolling points to be used at your discretion. Each point subtracts from one (1) qolling post.

Enjoy.

The Following User Says Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
That should keep me going until next week.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Sorry, man-- current exchange rates suck.

Hoo boy! The image file for the "Final" version is substantially larger than the previous one.
This is despite the fact I'm not installing Abiword (we've got it for Maemo now), nor CUPS printing (printing from the tablet always struck me as a circus trick). I'm not sure what exactly is making it so much larger, but I suspect the fact I'm using the "real" open Java JDK (instead of gcj), as well as the much nicer (and, it would seem, much bigger) JXDE LXDE window manager instead of IceWM. I am also including Gimp, since that seems to be the most-installed app in Debian.

Well, when I release the new version, you can continue to use the older, smaller image, or you can use the new image, it will be up to you. I think the improvements in the new packages will be worth it.

Last edited by qole; 2008-09-22 at 16:55.

Ok, I managed to get the file system size on my new image down below a gig, and I enlarged the image file to 1.1 GB, for a little bit more "head room".

I've uploaded the new big image file
, but I still need some more time to get my .deb all put together. But you can start downloading now, in preparation for the imminent release of the Easy Debian Final package.

It has working sound, Adobe Flash, "real" Sun Java (openjdk-6-jre), Gimp, LXDE, etc. It really feels like a finished, functional system. I think you'll like it.

Make sure you have the space, and then...

Download now! debian-chroot-img-final.tar.bz2 (314MB download, 1.1GB uncompressed)

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Great work as always, qole. When you get a chance, could you upload a debian-chroot-apps-final.tar.bz2? You know, just the contents of the ext2 image in a tarball like last time. Thanks.

Of course. It just takes so long to upload each big file... I'll try to get to it...

The Following User Says Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
I maneged to install easydeb chroot on my n810 though the applications work the icewm doesn't load properly.....I made a video to demonstrate this "problem" (not a good quality......I loaded icewm.....: http://data.hu/get/625563/n810.3gp.html )......thanks for your help

Closed Thread

Tags
debian, easy debian, obsolete