Active Topics

Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Originally Posted by michaelalanjones View Post
...time and time is money.
It's pretty clear that money is all you seem to care about, not about giving back to the community and so on... and that's fine. There are plenty of people in open source that do it just because they want to help other people, they want to give back, and put something out that's free and open.

If those aren't enough incentive for you, then I wouldn't want you developing for the internet tablets anyways because it means we'd just get half-assed work.

Last edited by zerojay; 2007-08-15 at 13:51.

I don't know if many anyone makes a living from it, but the Palm platform appears to have some success with commercial software (or so it seems to me).

I've wondered if it was because various websites (such as www.palmgear.com) provide a ready-made marketplace. Plus, some prices are low enough to be very tempting (e.g. you might pay $6 for an memo pad replacement with encryption).

There is a lot of free software too, but I've found that I'm happy to pay for what I want.

Is everybody dumber than me?
Probably not EVERYbody. But some do have better grammar.

Originally Posted by paulh View Post
I don't know if many anyone makes a living from it, but the Palm platform appears to have some success with commercial software (or so it seems to me).

I've wondered if it was because various websites (such as www.palmgear.com) provide a ready-made marketplace. Plus, some prices are low enough to be very tempting (e.g. you might pay $6 for an memo pad replacement with encryption).

There is a lot of free software too, but I've found that I'm happy to pay for what I want.
The ready-made marketplace is in interesting point. When I was using a Zaurus, I frequented handango.com and was able to find some good, commercial apps that I gladly purchased.

There are currently two apps that I would pay good money ($100+ USD): Something like Textmaker and a good, flexible database program.

At one point I actually contacted Softmaker to see if they would be willing to port Textmaker to the N800, and the answer was no - albeit understandable, considering their other mobile linux offering was based on QT3.

R.
==

Originally Posted by zerojay View Post
If those aren't enough incentive for you, then I wouldn't want you developing for the internet tablets anyways because it means we'd just get half-assed work.
You don't know anything about me. One thing that I can guarantee though is that I will never come here again. And you can ESAD.

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
Originally Posted by zerojay View Post
Speak for yourself, commie leecher.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by michaelalanjones View Post
That's because there is no incentive.
I'll quibble with that. To some, just being part of a highly-demanded, successful project is incentive enough. Consider the Linux developer community at large-- a lot of coding going on with no financial reward!

Heck, if I had the time, I'd rewire my brain from vb.net mode to a maemo-supported development platform and code all sorts of things for pure pleasure.

So to me the question is why isn't maemo enjoying the same level of developer activity that other Linux efforts do? I tend to think the tablets just haven't reached critical mass yet. But thank God for people like Arnim, fanoush and all the other guys whose names escape me at the moment. They are anything but dumb.

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
Originally Posted by rickh View Post
The ready-made marketplace is in interesting point. When I was using a Zaurus, I frequented handango.com and was able to find some good, commercial apps that I gladly purchased.

There are currently two apps that I would pay good money ($100+ USD): Something like Textmaker and a good, flexible database program.
Seconded, although 100+ seems a bit over the top: Textmaker goes for a lot less.

At one point I actually contacted Softmaker to see if they would be willing to port Textmaker to the N800, and the answer was no - albeit understandable, considering their other mobile linux offering was based on QT3.
I knew I wasn't alone!

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by Karel Jansens View Post
I knew I wasn't alone!
If nothing else, you'll always have those voices in your head.

The reason I will not develop software for the ITs is that I cannot develop for a Linux distro like Maemo. The rise and fall of this distro is controlled by closed software and hardware. Why should I use my free time for developing software which will run as long as Nokia wants to. Its just a matter of my philosophic viewpoint .

Scratchbox is installed and I also have compiled some software but since I know that maemo is a trimmed distro my motivation has reached level 0.