In the past I used an old Pentium 4 running Gentoo to do N900 development. But that computer was too old and too crap to be worth spending the cost to bring it across the country when I moved house last xmas. So right now all I have is my main box (running Windows 7 x64). Whats the best way to get a dev environment going again so I can do some things beyond just reverse engineering with IDA?

Obtaining another box to use for dev isn't an option (no funds to make that happen), nor is dual-booting. What are my options? I dont need any kind of GUI in the dev environment as such, just the ability to stick source code in there, compile things etc. I dont need to be able to flash the device or otherwise deal with that side of things either (any loading of files I do can be done over SFTP/SSH)

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jonwil For This Useful Post:
You can use the premade vm image... quick and easy

Edit: Ask around on irc for the SDK image.
The name of it is "Maemo_Ubuntu_Lucid_Desktop_SDK_Virtual_Image_Fina l.7z"

Last edited by Ilew; 2014-09-27 at 12:46. Reason: Removed link as requested

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ilew For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,117 | Thanked: 8,901 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
Easiest would have been to make a virtual machine from your old PC. (I know, I know , I myself still have 2 old compis to virtualize)

So, if you still have that hard disk floating around ...
else you need to look for the predefined SB image and configure it once more (as you have done it before, it should be easy).

Please consider your membership / supporting Maemo e.V. and help to spread this by following/copying this link to your TMO signature:
[MC eV] Maemo Community eV membership application, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94257

editsignature, http://talk.maemo.org/profile.php?do=editsignature

Last edited by peterleinchen; 2014-09-27 at 08:10. Reason: missed the HDD part

The Following User Says Thank You to peterleinchen For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Ilew View Post
You can use the premade vm image... quick and easy

Edit: Ask around on irc for the SDK image.
The name of it is "Maemo_Ubuntu_Lucid_Desktop_SDK_Virtual_Image_Fina l.7z"
We really need to have Board/Council/Someone trusted take official image (unavailable via normal means), apply all patches that should be applied (as official image had bugs), and publish MD5 sums of "final" release of one-step development environment for Maemo.

Then, of course, such image could be distributed via kind souls, via p2p sharing networks, or so. It's a joke, that we literally *can't* have new developers for more than a year already, as setting up dev environment is impossible without asking for things in obscure IRC channels, and spending countless hours on tracing patches required.

If someone digs up a few threads where people (even experienced ones, like Copernicus) tried to set up new Maemo development boxes, you may, actually, shed a few tears. Or a river of them. Currently, it's more complicated than programming for some undocumented Japanese chip in early 80's.

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,808 | Thanked: 4,272 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Germany
@all,

Unfortunately I'm still not quite there, but my mid-term goal is to prepare a docker image (based on 32-bit squeeze) for maemo development.

I currently use a 32-bit VPS (running debian jessie) with the maemo SDK installed (scratchbox). My plan is to re-create it again from zero but using docker (note, this requires a 64-bit kernel, but 32-bit debian runs fine with a 64-bit kernel) so that I can distribute a lightweight image anyone can install on any Linux, without messing with repositories or risk of f*cking around with the user's Linux installation (I don't think I have to explain the advantages of chroot/lxc/docker).

If I ever get to make this I'll post the details.

@jonwil,
Since you're running Windows, you might consider also setting up a VPS with Linux for this.

The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to reinob For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Estel View Post
We really need to have Board/Council/Someone trusted take official image (unavailable via normal means), apply all patches that should be applied (as official image had bugs), and publish MD5 sums of "final" release of one-step development environment for Maemo.

Then, of course, such image could be distributed via kind souls, via p2p sharing networks, or so. It's a joke, that we literally *can't* have new developers for more than a year already, as setting up dev environment is impossible without asking for things in obscure IRC channels, and spending countless hours on tracing patches required.

If someone digs up a few threads where people (even experienced ones, like Copernicus) tried to set up new Maemo development boxes, you may, actually, shed a few tears. Or a river of them. Currently, it's more complicated than programming for some undocumented Japanese chip in early 80's.

/Estel
What sort of patches are you talking about?
The only issue with the sdk image that I know about it is the one where it's set to thumb compile by default.
http://maemo.org/community/maemo-use..._installation/

All I did for Windows was:
1. Install VMPlayer (I use virtualbox on my linux pc)
https://my.vmware.com/web/vmware/fre...are_player/6_0
2. Load the image into vmplayer
3. Followed Pali's steps to disable thumb
Check if you have problematic scratchbox:

1. Login to scratchbox: run /scratchbox/login
2. print DEB_BUILD_OPTIONS in scratchbox: echo $DEB_BUILD_OPTIONS

If it does *not* show "thumb" your scratchbox is already fixed
and thumb is disabled. If it *show* thumb, disable it.

Instructions how to disable *thumb* string in scratchbox:

1. Login to scratchbox: run /scratchbox/login
2. Edit file /targets/FREMANTLE_ARMEL.environment
3. Remove "thumb" from that file
4. Save file and *logout* from scratchbox

Note that scratchbox is loading DEB_BUILD_OPTIONS variable at
startup, so you need to restart scratchbox to take effect. After
restarting please check again if thumb is really disabled.
Then I was able to successfully compile and package a few programs.

You can easily find the link to the image on a trusted website (anyone that knows CSSU would trust it)
I just know that Jonwil visits the maemo irc so my edited answer was tailored to him.

Though MD5 sums wouldn't be a bad idea.
Here's the ones I have on my pc atm which match the ones hosted...
(I got mine from when the official website was still up)
Code:
28949514fb6762733678b12afc227f73  Changed_Ubuntu_Lucid_Desktop_Files.txt
85bc1524deb7bfeadb1d4bb2f18dea57  License_Agreement.txt
8c173b04bb3951bcfd4433da554b6c3a  Maemo_Ubuntu_Lucid_Desktop_SDK_Virtual_Image_Final.7z
09b45b54c2ea5669e289b102b4443e03  Readme_Ubuntu_Lucid_Desktop_SDK_Virtual_Image_Final.txt
Someone who is Board/Council/Someone trusted... Can you confirm the md5sums please?

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Ilew For This Useful Post:
I found the image file, thanks for the tip about disabling thumb.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jonwil For This Useful Post:
Does anyone know the default passwords set up for this VM image?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jonwil For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Have you tried 'maemo'?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:

Tags
maemo 5 sdk, windows 7