Posts: 153 | Thanked: 81 times | Joined on Oct 2011 @ New Zealand
Ok so I've made the assumption that the MyDocs partition needs reformatted, correct me if I'm wrong.

So to start with at some point a few days ago, my N9 started acting up, I think It may be from pulling out the USB cable while transferring files as I have a bad habit of grabbing my phone on impulse when I leave my comp, anyhow Initially I noticed that I couldn't remove a specific folder within the Documents directory, a folder that was involved when I pulled USB cable, well big deal I was planning on re flashing and starting again soon any ways. I think the thing that threw me was that at that stage I could still transfer files to and from my MyDocs partition.
Still having not flashed the device, I found that when trying to download files from the browser, it would come up with some strange message along the lines of: "unable to download files, device storage may be in use, please reboot and try again" and another line mentioning "device storage isn’t functioning properly".
It was a unusually long message anyway and I can't reproduce it at this stage.

Now upon flashing with:
Code:
flasher -f -F main.bin --erase-user-data=secure
Which went as usual flash, no errors or anything, I found that now I cant even access the MyDocs partition, well I can open the MyDocs folder via filebox and the terminal, but its empty and I cant create a directory or anything, it says the directory is read only.

So then I try connecting the phone to my PC and now windows tells me:
you need to format the disk in drive I: before you can use it, do you want to format it?

So at this stage I choose cancel, It's worth noting that I can download apps, and the N9 functions normally except that I cant access my 58GB of free storage.
Now hen I remove the usb cable from, the N9 pops up with "can't access user data".

I’m certain that my partition was corrupted all along and I had just failed to diagnose the early symptoms.

How on earth can I reformat the partition to Vfat? in partition manager (win7) it only offers me exFat or NTFS, on gParted (Ubuntu) I have more options but no Vfat, what am I missing here, Is Vfat really just fat32? Am I safe just formatting to say Fat32 Do I have to name it MyDocs? Nokia N9? Ideally I'd just have it go back to factory default.

I'm a bit uncomfortable reformatting it with third party software after I read about some issues people had trying to flash their phones with edited partition sizes, I didn't change my partitions but some software could use the wrong start point etc.

If this was a simple usb stick I wouldn't give a rats on the details, I'd just format the f'er, but then I wonder should I just treat the partition like it is that simple for the format purpose.

The Following User Says Thank You to HanzBlix For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,067 | Thanked: 2,383 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Finland
flasher -f -F emmc.bin -a main.bin

That will format and create MyDocs

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rainisto For This Useful Post:
Posts: 153 | Thanked: 81 times | Joined on Oct 2011 @ New Zealand
Ok thanks, much appreciated.

Posts: 128 | Thanked: 41 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ BONDY, FRANCE
My N900 /home/user partition is not available yet!

After a fsck -a /home/user/MyDocs I have this message:
The superblock could not be read or does not describe a correct ext2 filesystem.
Il the device is valid and it really contains an ext2 filesystem (and not swap or ufs or something else), then the superblock is corrupt, and you might try running e2fsck with an alternate superblock:
e2fsck -b 8193 <device>
So I try to use e2fsck -b 8193 /home/user/MyDocs but I've the same error message and it's impossible to use the montpoint MyDocs

I've to use flasher -f -F emmc.bin -a main.bin ?

What are emmc.bin and main.bin ?

Thanks for helping.

Hi, I'm actually too lazy to read the whole post and I'm writing this from my n9. Once I've had problems with mydocs partition. After removing usb cable before the device was safely unmounted, partition was set to read only mode. Camera wasn't working, I was unable to save any file in browser. Solution that worked for me:
-connect device to some linux machine
-select mass storage
-unmount the device from console (check dmesg for sd*)
-run fsck.vat. I don't remember full command. Check man fsck for switches. Look for write changes switch and something with fixing errors
-disconnect the device and pray

I had some nasty lock in file system on n9 and these steps recovered my device.
If you start thinking about mydocs partition as damn usb stick in phone it will be easier for you to run fsck. I will grep my linux history tomorrow. Maybe I'll find full command that I've used.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to herr_oigg For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,808 | Thanked: 4,272 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Germany
Originally Posted by judibet View Post
My N900 /home/user partition is not available yet!

After a fsck -a /home/user/MyDocs I have this message:

So I try to use e2fsck -b 8193 /home/user/MyDocs but I've the same error message and it's impossible to use the montpoint MyDocs

I've to use flasher -f -F emmc.bin -a main.bin ?

What are emmc.bin and main.bin ?

Thanks for helping.
You cannot fsck a directory!
First unmount the partition and then fsck the partition (not the mount point!)

Something like fsck /dev/mmcblk0p1 or whatever it's called on the N9.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to reinob For This Useful Post:
Posts: 128 | Thanked: 41 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ BONDY, FRANCE
It's amazing, I do it but I've that:
/home/user # umount /dev/mmcblk0p1
umount: cannot umount /dev/mmcblk0p1 : Invalid argument
What can I do please ?

Posts: 539 | Thanked: 518 times | Joined on May 2010 @ nanaurbusiness
Can you please post the output of
Code:
sfdisk -l
:-)

Regards,

J4ZZ

N900 ~ $ make me a sandwich
-bash: no, make it yourself
N900 ~ $ sudo make me a sandwich
-bash: ok then...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to J4ZZ For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,436 | Thanked: 12,699 times | Joined on Nov 2011 @ Ängelholm, Sweden
make reflash emmc
-or-
make device wipe

The Following User Says Thank You to coderus For This Useful Post:
I've found two related commands in my history:
857 sudo fsck.vfat -aftvVw /dev/sdb
858 sudo fsck.vfat -avw /dev/sdb

Probably the second one will be enough.

Steps which I've preformed.

1. Connect device to some linux machine.
2. Select "Mass storage" mode on the device.
3. Open console and type "dmesg".
4. Look for follwoing info:
[ 1983.827849] USB Mass Storage support registered.
[ 1984.828702] scsi 6:0:0:0: Direct-Access Nokia Nokia N9 0316 PQ: 0 ANSI: 2
[ 1984.964233] sd 6:0:0:0: Attached scsi generic sg3 type 0
[ 1984.967442] sd 6:0:0:0: [sdb] 18463744 512-byte logical blocks: (9.45 GB/8.80 GiB)
5. Remember the device name. In my case it's /dev/sdb. In your case it can be other descriptor.
6. In console type "sudo umount /dev/sdb". Again it can be other sd in your case.
7. Run in console "sudo fsck.vfat -aftvVw /dev/sdb".

All these command fixed my device. I didn't have to format the device.

Also you can check dmesg in console on your device (in dev mode). You should get some info about locked home partition. In my case there was information that read-only flag was set. There should be even a tip to use fsck to fix issues.

If you don't have access to linux machine try running ubuntu from live-cd.
I can be wrong, but there is a chance that dummy scandisk under Windows should fix it.

Hope this helps.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to herr_oigg For This Useful Post: