Active Topics

Brainstorm Link: http://maemo.org/community/brainstor...i_concept-002/

I have for a very long time wished for a GUI where an image of the contact that sent you the message popped up. Well now Motorolas new MotorBlur has that feature.

Any chance anyone will make something like that for the N900 and forfill my wish?
Here is a quick mock-up render I made.

Image is taken from the contact info and the message text is displayed bellow.

I can see how making this as an widget will present problems, But if it's an app that always run in the background and then pounce into action when a Message is received we should be able to have something like the concept.

It would have to have it's own full screen application, perhaps masquerading as a desktop screen by copying the same background on the fly.*

I am no programmer, So I'm clueless. But any theory's are welcome

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DiemetriX For This Useful Post:
Posts: 932 | Thanked: 278 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Kentucky
This will be a great app. Doesn't the N900 have something like this already? If not, it will be great to implement it in the next firmware update...

Posts: 36 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Finland
I like that idea.

Posts: 488 | Thanked: 107 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Asgard / Midgard / London
would it be possible to put any time and date stamp somewhere? perhaps it appears if you "hover" on the message, but how can you do that? Another alternative would be to put a timeline at the top, like in historical timelines, and have dots there for prior messages that can be brought up like notes on an Excel cell.

Another thing people may like is to be able to drag the window around with the picture and message, and also to directly message them from the screen.

Posts: 631 | Thanked: 1,123 times | Joined on Sep 2005 @ Helsinki
Originally Posted by x61 View Post
This will be a great app. Doesn't the N900 have something like this already? If not, it will be great to implement it in the next firmware update...
The N900 already has something a bit like that, in the Dashboard when you receive a new message. But it doesn't show the picture of the person, so that would certainly be an addition (for those contacts that have a picture - not all of course do...)

Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
It's a rather huge waste of space. :/

Posts: 332 | Thanked: 76 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ St. Augustine, Trinidad and Tobago
Originally Posted by zerojay View Post
I hate to be a spoilsport, but I agree with zerojay.

Does anyone ever get messages that are concise and short like the demo? Or have friends that are as good-looking?

If you ran this on my email in-box, I'd just have a bunch of notes saying

Dear dormant,

gerbick has just replied to a thread you have subscribed to entitled -
  • two magic OTG USB adapters
  • crossed fingers

Originally Posted by zerojay View Post
The program would only kick in when you get a new message. Most people will want to to check their new message right away. You could double tapping on the background to close the app.

Originally Posted by dormant View Post

Does anyone ever get messages that are concise and short like the demo? Or have friends that are as good-looking?

If you ran this on my email in-box, I'd just have a bunch of notes saying
Messages are often larger than the demo. But they would look the like one of the left ( stop with a ... ) Double tapping the message would take you to the inbox so that you read the whole message the normal way.

This is just an Idea, Another Idea is that new messages are shown in a bubble like they are on an Iphone with an small image of a contact.