Active Topics

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
I'm thankful to be seeing some useful feedback.

On a side note, this dialog has made me realize I need to create a general brainstorming tutorial. The activity requires a different sort of participation than, say, bug reporting or political debate.

Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
I fear such idea would bring karma inflation in exchange of no much community value.

And there is an ethical virtue in the fact of not being rewarded whenever you thank the work of someone. In real life, would you like a rule like this: every time someone tells you Thanks! he is getting a lollypop for free.

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
I think some of the concerns that may be tied to this brainstorm (noobs unaware of Thank buttons, people lazy engaging in thanking activities) can and should be addressed in a different manner... like a better introduction\orientation program for new members and maybe a some visual changes to the thank button to improve its visibility (change the color or make it bold, but something subtle).
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

The Following User Says Thank You to ysss For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
Even if the Thanks button design is not inspired in Las Vegas city lights, the effects of using it couldn't be more visible to all Talk users:

"The Following n Users Say Thank You to xxxx For This Useful Post:"

I personally the whole Thanks thing works well, fits the purpose and I wouldn't touch it.

In fact, as one of the persons that pushed the idea of maemo.org karma a couple of years ago I feel we are investing too much time discussing it.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Alright, I wasn't too invested in this one anyway (the visitor routing one is much more important to me). I'll withdraw it.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
take a look at solution i made second ago. tell me what you think about it.

Posts: 1,605 | Thanked: 1,601 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Southern California
I, for one, am feeling very generous. Feel free to give me thanks and I will, in return, offer you much karma.

Tim

The Following User Says Thank You to timsamoff For This Useful Post:
Posts: 50 | Thanked: 70 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Tampere, Finland
Originally Posted by qgil View Post
In fact, as one of the persons that pushed the idea of maemo.org karma a couple of years ago I feel we are investing too much time discussing it.
My girlfriend is doing a research on how data management programs influence on the actual work getting done. Because the data defines the efficiency of the worker, the workers start to do tasks that give them more "efficiency points" - no matter if these tasks are the most important ones or not. And some important task are neglected, because the program doesn't value them (ie. "invisible work").

Just saying, that while this Karma exits, it can't be neclected. It will have an influence on peoples behavior. It's purpose just has to be clear: to indicate the activity (and usefulness) of the member to the community. If giving thanks to someone can be considered as a meaningful activity and therefore something we want to substain, then it should be rewarded with karma. But the amount oh the karma should be in pair with the importance and effort.

But I agree with qgil: the importance of Karma should not be emphasized - you should not start doing things that give you karma, you should be doing useful things and GET Karma. IMHO the amount of thanks on the site is now quite good (they are given, but not for every post), and giving thanks should remain sincere: "I thank you for writing this" and not "I thank myself for reading this".

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to kalle For This Useful Post:
Sorry, but I do not see why it is needed. Also, it pretty much encourages people to cheat.

The Following User Says Thank You to fms For This Useful Post:
It'll be just too easy to open a long thread and click 'Thank' on every posting.

You can of course try to introduce some metrics to restrict, this, e.g. that you can't thank someone else until such-and-such etc. But that has been tried before, elsewhere: Brighthand used to have a complex 'reputation' system, where you at all times had a certain amount of 'reputation points' that you could handle out to someone. This resource could increase and wax after certain rules.

It was very difficult to artificially increase someone's reputation, and you could only hand out a certain amount at any time. In many ways a person's reputation on Brighthand seemed to be a more accurate 'karma' measure (a kind of Thanks+Karma integrated into one) than our system here (except that our Karma also takes into account more than Thanks), but in the end it was disbanded anyway. It was explained why here: http://forum.brighthand.com/showpost...55&postcount=1

Tags
giving thanks, karma