Posts: 144 | Thanked: 32 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Cali
Apple is as proprietary as Adobe.

Steve Jobs and Apple are just stubborn.

Posts: 500 | Thanked: 437 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Oklahoma
I know that Flash on my PC lights up my processor bar really well. If there is a hardware method of accomplishing what is done in Flash software, thereby relieving my CPU of much of the burden, I am all for it.

I play MafiaWars on Facebook. Playing it on the N900 has some limitations; you just can't collect from your NY properties most of the time using the N900. On my PC what should be a simple piece of computing: sending my action to the server, decrementing my energy, incrementing my cash and experience points and writing the new information to my screen, is drawn out for several seconds past what I enjoy waiting. I believe MafiaWars is a Flash based game or if not totally Flash based has Flash elements in it.

I'd love to see how the game would respond if written in HTML5. I won't say it "can't be worse" because I don't know that but I will say HTML5 would have to be really cumbersome to execute if it were to be slower than Flash.

Apple is Apple and as consumers we can make our choice. I don't care if the iPhone has Flash or not because I am highly unlikely to use one.

Last edited by tzsm98; 2010-04-29 at 20:34. Reason: clean up my miserable typos!

It's sad that I will be able witness the rise and fall of one of the greatest inventions in mankind. Especially as more shackles are placed on the Internet (either through government or patents/copyrights/licenses).

And my fiancee wonders why I'm a nihilist and pessimistic (especially about mankind).

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Last edited by Laughing Man; 2010-04-29 at 17:01.

Posts: 992 | Thanked: 995 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ California
At least, SJ was truthful about the REAL reason - number 6:

it is a way around Apple's control of i* crap.

so, apple is more open than adobe?

Posts: 291 | Thanked: 59 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Manchester, UK
lol he said "no way to Roll over stuff, thats what microb's mouse mode does flawlessly?

The Following User Says Thank You to Nipperoid For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,338 | Thanked: 1,055 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ California, USA / Jordan
Originally Posted by Nipperoid View Post
lol he said "no way to Roll over stuff, thats what microb's mouse mode does flawlessly?
But the N900 is not Apple made, so it's not a "real" mobile device.. lol

Posts: 139 | Thanked: 224 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ San Francisco, CA
I would hold off to make flash an issue of Apple versus Adobe.

Concentrating on flash I would like to be able to come by without flash. Very often flash is unnecessary and annoying. I used to run flash-block in my browser to get rid of annoying animations, but way too often the site I was visiting would not function correctly any more. Many flash developers went over board - look at the silly intro screens at some websites where you have to get through to finally come to the content.

Technically I cannot contribute too much regarding flash, it must have some advantages otherwise youtube and other video sites would not use it.

If there are comparable open alternatives, please let's get rid of flash and use the open standards. I won't shed tears.

On the other hand I do not believe one minute that Apple disses flash because Steve Jobs prefers open standards.

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
There are a couple points of Jobs that I agree with:

- Keeping the web more open/neutral. I know html5 is not perfect, but at least it's a backed by more than one company... compare that with Adobe Flash.

btw, I think he's careful enough to differentiate about using proprietary standards as a shared resource on the web, vs proprietary tech in products (which Apple heavily implements).

- Hover mode sucks. It's a clunky relic from mouse based system. The only way to gracefully implements it on a stylus-based handheld is by active digitizer system where it can register click and point separately.
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

Oh I agree with some of Jobs' points, and as you pointed out. Even H264 is more open than Adobe Flash. But if Steve Jobs really wanted to make a point he would back a real open standard for the web.

As it is (especially since Apple I think is one of the investors in H264) it just looks like a money grab to people who are actively interested in the tech arena (of course end users don't care since they aren't directly paying for the consequences of these decisions).

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Laughing Man For This Useful Post:

Tags
adobe, apple, flash, h.264, html5, irony, jobs