Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
Originally Posted by Nijihana View Post
Copernicus-dono, it's the best out there, you should try it cause it's free anyway.
I'll give it a look.

The Following User Says Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 95 | Thanked: 70 times | Joined on Mar 2009 @ Massachusetts
hmm interesting, but I'm more the type who would to solve multiple problems with a single solution. My suggestion would be a (unofficial) Crunchyroll app for MeeGo/Maemo. Yes, I'm talking about the popular anime streaming site. They made apps for multiple platforms including iOS, Android, Windows Phone, Roku, Xbox, PlayStation, and for the first time just a couple days ago on Christmas Day, a Nintendo system, the Wii U!
Basically, it's like Netflix, with watchlist, etc. and focused around anime, manga, and Asian drama/movies. I also think this would be too big of a port for our community though as it is also closed source. I thought I'd put the idea out there on the table.

The Following User Says Thank You to Roth For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Roth View Post
hmm interesting, but I'm more the type who would to solve multiple problems with a single solution. My suggestion would be a (unofficial) Crunchyroll app for MeeGo/Maemo. Yes, I'm talking about the popular anime streaming site. They made apps for multiple platforms including iOS, Android, Windows Phone, Roku, Xbox, PlayStation, and for the first time just a couple days ago on Christmas Day, a Nintendo system, the Wii U!
Basically, it's like Netflix, with watchlist, etc. and focused around anime, manga, and Asian drama/movies. I also think this would be too big of a port for our community though as it is also closed source. I thought I'd put the idea out there on the table.

b-but, crunchyroll is not free, atleast not anymore...

Originally Posted by Roth View Post
hmm interesting, but I'm more the type who would to solve multiple problems with a single solution. My suggestion would be a (unofficial) Crunchyroll app for MeeGo/Maemo.
Ah, well, I can't see Crunchyroll ever offering a public API for actually streaming their shows; that would kind of contradict the idea of making folks pay to watch. And yeah, I don't think the current MeeGo/Maemo userbase is big enough to entice them to release an app themselves.

BTW, after some investigation, it looks like the "official" MAL API is kind of incomplete. I'm not sure just what the MAL apps are using to get their data; maybe scraping actual web pages for info? (I'll do a bit more investigating...)

GL Copernicus!

I hope this project push through ;--; i really need this, i hope others see this and have it pushed through ~~

Hi, i would also love this app, but rather on Maemo. I could be a beta tester, because I can develope only Easy apps written in Python...

What about writing this app using Qt 4.7.3 Framework and C++ language, this would make it possible to port to Symbian S60v5 and Higher, Maemo 5 (maybe 4, I'm not sure about latest supported version) and MeeGo easily.

The Following User Says Thank You to Mir57 For This Useful Post:
Well, drat. These MAL app guys really are just scraping the actual web page HTML for data. Not only should that make the MAL folks unhappy (as it bypasses all the advertising they're using to support themselves), it's a technique which will break every time they decide to update their web page structure. Which, for most websites, is a fairly frequent process...

Hmm. The MyAnimeList.net website appears to be compatible with the N900's browser (Microb); maybe it'd be better just to use the official website directly?

(ANN does seem to have a more usable official API; maybe I can throw something together using their system...)

Hmmmm... How about using Hummingbird?
www.hummingbird.me

Well, it's...not just to check le news about anime, but to keep track of the list you have, plus it's not just the anime, but also the manga.
E.g.
Anime/Manga
Plan to watch list/plan to read list
Currently watching/Currently reading
On hold
Watched/Read

Things like that, and you get to rate every anime/manga, and possibly make a review, all directly on mobile.

Originally Posted by Nijihana View Post
Hmmmm... How about using Hummingbird?
www.hummingbird.me
Hmm. They do seem to have a more usable API, but they're going through this "MashApe" middleware to implement it. I've never used them before; I'll have to see what it involves.

Well, it's...not just to check le news about anime, but to keep track of the list you have, plus it's not just the anime, but also the manga.
E.g.
Anime/Manga
Plan to watch list/plan to read list
Currently watching/Currently reading
On hold
Watched/Read

Things like that, and you get to rate every anime/manga, and possibly make a review, all directly on mobile.
Well, the more you are interacting with a group's service, the more you really need to get their approval and support. (It takes money to host a server and to pay for bandwidth, after all.) The source code I'm seeing for several of the MAL apps has a "configurable whitelisted user agent", which sounds to me like they've not been accessing the service in an authorized manner...

In any case, it'd be pretty easy to manage things like watched/plan to watch lists locally (if you really are in to that sort of thing). You could even combine anime data from multiple sources into a single app. It's just the social aspect that really needs a centralized server...

Tags
malonline, meego, port to meego