Active Topics

Posts: 915 | Thanked: 3,209 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Germany
Originally Posted by handaxe View Post
It is not planned to have a phone earpiece (placing the Pyra to your ear)."
Would an earpiece be necessary?
I'd imagine a regular speaker would do.

and the fact that fremantle has reasonable telephony / sms integration at the ui level, something I doubt would be quite as good on the Pyra.
The plan is to use Debian as the Pyra's default OS. Debian has the FSO software [1], which contains a pretty useable UI but seems to lack some stability as far as I can tell from basic tests on x86. (I hope the stability issues are architecture-specific.)

[1] http://www.freesmartphone.org/

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sulu For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,139 | Thanked: 8,156 times | Joined on Feb 2013 @ From my Gabriola Island hermitage, near the Edge of the World
Har har...hey sulu....read my mind concerning buying a 2nd neo900 in light of the new pyra.

Owner of :
1-n770 (in retirement), 3-n800's / 3-n810's (still in daily use), 5-n900's ((3 are flawless, 1 loose usb ( parts), 1 has no telephony (parts))
3-nexus 5's : 1 w/ Floko Pie 9.1 (running beautifully) waiting for Stable Droid 10 rom, 1 w/ ̶Ubuntu Touch, 1 with Maru OS (intend maemo leste when ready)

1/2 - neo900 pre- "purchased" in 2013. N̶o̶w̶ ̶A̶w̶a̶i̶t̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶r̶e̶f̶u̶n̶d̶ ̶p̶r̶o̶c̶e̶s̶s̶ ̶l̶a̶s̶t̶ ̶f̶e̶w̶ ̶y̶e̶a̶r̶s̶ - neo900 start up declared officially dead -
Lost invested funds.

PIMP MY N8X0 (Idiot's Guide and a video walkthrough)http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94294
THE LOST GRONMAYER CATALOGShttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...ight=gronmayer
N8X0 VIDEO ENCODING THE EASY WAYhttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...ght=mediacoder
242gb ON N800http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=90634
THE PAIN-FREE MAEMO DEVELOPMENT LIVE DISTRO-ISO FOR THE NOOB TO THE PROhttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=95567
AFFORDABLE MASS PRODUCTION FOR MAEMO PARTShttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=93325

Meateo balloons now available @ Dave999's Meateo Emporium

The Following User Says Thank You to endsormeans For This Useful Post:
That rather gives the neo900 breathing room IMO,
Not sure about that. Using bluetooth adapter with microphone (like ultracheap and very reliable and moddable BH-214) or bluetooth headset + voice calling, one can pretty much perform any telephony task without even taking Pyra out of bag. It's rather thing of habit to bring telephone to your ear, rather than actual usability (yes, I do it all the time, even though that I *know* using bluetooth headset that I have would be much more convenient - actually, tested it few times and it was great).

The point about nice integration in system is more valid, although, times where desktop systems lacked perfectly usable phone/SMS/phonebook stacks are long gone.
---

All benefit of Neo900 is (apart from obvious attachment to Hildon - i focus on hardware side, now) replication and extending unusual features of N900, like awesome resistive screen (sad that it's unusual feature nowadays), IR, FM receiver and transmitter, etc.

From my perspective - basing on the current known hardware choices - it all boils down to if Neo900 is going to support video out in any conversion-less form (VGA, DVI, doesn't care if it's through some micro port in motherboard that need hacking custom passive adapter, or via (ab)using microUSB displayport implementation). If it lacks this feature and Pyra got it, I probably switch allegiance immediately - even without any modem in it (keeping my N900 for all cellular needs and networking).

I'm sick of using composite video out for my "transform to desktop" needs. Nothing like sitting with BT or USB full-fledged keyboard, with mouse in your hand, and N900 as main unit - using big LCD TV (that are everywhere, now) as monitor - except looking at crappy 768x461 downscaled from 800x480. Eh... I should probably be glad (and I am) that N900 have this feature at all, as it's very helpful.

But, if Neo900 skip this feature that is absolutely in their reach without much hassle (via the "any random, easily obtainable socket on board, that have enough pins for vga", and leaving making adapters/adapting case to user's discretion), I think I become "mad as hell and cannot take it anymore", becoming "traitor" myself

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

Last edited by Estel; 2014-04-07 at 18:04.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Estel View Post
All benefit of Neo900 is (apart from obvious attachment to Hildon - i focus on hardware side, now) replication and extending unusual features of N900, like awesome resistive screen (sad that it's unusual feature nowadays)
I think the dragonbox has a resistive screen, at least I think they mentioned they were planning to have it on their video, but I dont know how better it will be compared to n900s great touchscreen.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lonk For This Useful Post:
// Edit
Post was heavily censored by some "moderator" without leaving a trace - see below post and it's quote for real content of this entry. Sorry for inconvenience, "be vigilant" and enjoy the FOSS'y and transparent way TMO is moderated nowadays.

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

Last edited by Estel; 2014-05-23 at 16:07.

The Following User Says Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,397 | Thanked: 2,126 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Dublin, Ireland
Originally Posted by Estel View Post
Well, after this happened:
http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...01&postcount=2

...and, considering the problems mentioned in:
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=93200

...I'm getting more and more pessimistic about Neo900, and start to bend into Pyra side, more than ever. I'm starting to think, that creative OpenPandora guys (with all the momentum around software for it, too) are more trustworthy than Neo900, with it's unstable and irresponsible new "leader".

/Estel
Just take a look to the amount of new applications and ports that the current Pandora has almost everyday and consider that Pyra will be completely based on Debian...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ivgalvez For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by sulu View Post
Hello,

just to let you know, some people from the OpenPandora community are in the process of designing a successor device called "Pyra". [1]

One of them is Nikolaus Schaller who's also involved in the Neo900 design and since the OpenPandora people don't seem to have a problem with mentioning the potentially competing Neo900 I guess it's only fair to make the Maemo folks aware of the Pyra project as well.

Here's a presentation video recorded at the FOSDEM last weekend. [2]

[1] http://pyra-handheld.com
[2] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4T-w1KqrVsM
PowerVR GPU == PITA if you ask me... trying get it run on my beaglebone with newer kernels. Still can't get it working with or without X11/Wayland or fb

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mikecomputing For This Useful Post:
Posts: 915 | Thanked: 3,209 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Germany
Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post
PowerVR GPU == PITA if you ask me... trying get it run on my beaglebone with newer kernels. Still can't get it working with or without X11/Wayland or fb
Are you talking about basic 2D, non-accelerated output or some sort of acceleration?

"fb" sounds like you already have problems with the basic stuff which kind of puzzles me since I believed this would work with PowerVR.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sulu For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,974 | Thanked: 1,834 times | Joined on Mar 2013 @ india
Powervr is a nightmare in linux

The Following User Says Thank You to nokiabot For This Useful Post:
Not sure if this counts as necro-bumping, seeing as though this thread's only been inactive for a good few months, but I'd like to continue the conversation.

(tl;dr- see last paragraph)

I'm pretty stoked about the Pyra, considering its features (built-in gamepad, optional 3G modem for voice+data, stacks and stacks of software) and its history (being the PC-in-a-pocket successor of a device originally intended as an emulation handheld). I always like seeing projects carving out their own niche. Since it aims to be backwards compatible with the OpenPandora and take advantage of Debian's cache of software and have the effort of a sizable+active community behind it, software's not gonna be an issue. I have no use for an OpenPandora at this day and age, but the Pyra is a different beast altogether. A handheld that could replace my laptop...and my phone...

Ah, there's the rub, innit? Imagine having both the Pyra and Neo900. The former's already advertised as a portable, and that perception's only buttressed by a big *** battery+3G modem. So leaving it at home to replace your computer is an option, but really doesn't make that much sense.

With that said, would having both a Pyra and Neo900 be redundant? Not so fast.

That 3G modem is merely an option, and you don't need to have it if you don't want it. Without the modem, the Pyra's essentially a decent mini-ARM-PC with a battery life that would make a Macbook user blush and Galaxy Note user jealous.

Even with the Pyra having a 3G modem, the Neo900's a VERY different device. It's a phone, first and foremost. Handling it on a day-to-day basis would be very different from the Pyra. As the Pyra is not meant to be a companion device in the same sense as a phone, there are a few caveats to consider:
-on-person portability in a large variety of cases;
-form factor;
-ease of use;
-and, to one extent or another, appearance.

In all of those cases, the Neo900 gets extra ticks in its box due to the nature of its design, which is that of a phone. Do you carry your phone in a bag (if you carry bags, that is)? Is your phone massive (or, at least, bigger than phablets) for what it's supposed to be? Does your phone lack a good touch-based UI? Do you feel comfortable pulling out something resembling a 3DS to do office work on-the-move or even to text friends?

There's also a major caveat to using the Pyra as a companion device that's rather unique to the Pyra- its features and how many of them are useful on-the-move. While having heaps of features is usually a good thing, a significant chunk of those features won't enhance your portable computing, thus making the user the primary bottleneck as to what features are used on-the-move. Idk about you, but I haven't seen many people carrying around hard drives with their eSATA cables in tow just to piss off iPhone users. While it's not uncommon to carry a USB stick with you, I don't know of anyone who carries two of them. Also, having speakers on a handheld that don't totally s_it the bed isn't bad, but why not carry some headphones for a bit of privacy (and courtesy)? Don't want to carry headphones or a headset? Then how do you expect to make use of the 3G modem for a quick chat with your friend?

None of those issues exist on the Neo900.

With all of that said, I really can't say the Pyra can easily replace one's phone. Do you know what it can replace though? SPARE phones!!! Think about it. What's the whole point of a spare phone? To not be cut off from your peers in case your daily driver meets a tragic end, right? How about an extra device that has that functionality in case that happens? I think it could work as a decent stand-in until your daily driver's back. Something like a real-life RAID array; redundancy for an emergerncy.

Unfortunately, PowerVR graphics is something that must be dealt with on both devices. For the Pyra, there's already talk about the 1st hardware upgrade in the distant future to an AMD-based SoC, which means MUCH better open-source graphics support than PowerVR. However, that's far from materializing right now. Perhaps you can include just the possibility as a plus if you hate PowerVR that much, but I won't.

The Pyra is truly a unique device that requires one to evaluate what uses it would have for them and how well it can integrate into their everyday use (whether at home or on-the-move). In that sense, it really can't be compared to anything. The Neo900 is a phone, and can easily be compared to other phones. Therefore, I can't see either device as competitors to each other.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Tigerroast For This Useful Post:

Tags
convergent pda, smartphone