Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
attila77, your list of bullets is way too long since it includes repetitions but, most important, it is not related to the naming since both MeeGo and MeeGo-Harmattan will offer you the same choices within the Qt family.

Web Runtime? Plain Qt? Quick? OpenGL ES? Your choice independently of MeeGo, MeeGo-Harmattan or even Symbian. Still not happy and willing to go for MeeGo Touch Framework? Fine for MeeGo and MeeGo-Harmattan.

If you keep yourself in the official API most probably all your headache will be to compile and package separately for MeeGo and MeeGo-Harmattan. But anyway, even within MeeGo rpm you might need to compile native apps more than once to target x86 or different ARM chipsets. All this can be a quite automated process, though.

More than the names, developers will care about the relation between extra work, potential userbase and/or profits. Which is a calculation they are used to do.

The Following User Says Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by qgil View Post
attila77, your list of bullets is way too long since it includes repetitions but, most important, it is not related to the naming since both MeeGo and MeeGo-Harmattan will offer you the same choices within the Qt family.
Take a look at how many ’also know as’-es are there in my list. That’s purely nomenclature, and I wasn’t even overly trying, just listing them off the top of my head. This is not just about the ’provisional naming of MeeGo-Harmattan’, but a general flux of platform related terms and their relations.

More than the names, developers will care about the relation between extra work, potential userbase and/or profits. Which is a calculation they are used to do.
What I’m saying (this applies to Venemo’s comment, too) is that there are many choices you need to decide on (not a bad thing in itself), but you need to do far more research than on any other platform to be able to say you’re making a proper engineering/business choice and not guesstimating. No, of course it’s not impossible or rocket science (even though the documentation is practically source-only, but I’ll not count that against the platform as it’s all still prerelease). It’s just that every single mainstream mobile development platform I ever came in contact with requires a lot less effort for a developer to reach the point where he understands exactly what the options are and to be able to utilize them. Qt certainly gives you options/latitude, but at the moment (as said, mainly due to the speed of development), sometimes gives the impression of being a bit short in the focus department.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to attila77 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,535 | Thanked: 6,681 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ UK
Originally Posted by qgil View Post
attila77, your list of bullets is way too long since it includes repetitions [...]
Isn't that an example of the developer mess that's rapidly approaching? If you're saying attila77's list wasn't accurate (and it correlates with my understanding), we've got a problem if one of the leading Qt developers and experts on maemo.org is confused.

If you keep yourself in the official API most probably all your headache will be to compile and package separately for MeeGo and MeeGo-Harmattan.
Which is the official API? Is it MeeGo Touch or Qt? If you want to build a "MeeGo" application or a cross-platform (MeeGo, Maemo 5, MeeGo-Harmattan, Symbian) application it's the latter. If you want to build a "MeeGo Handset" application, is MeeGo Touch the official API?

There's overlap here with http://forum.meego.com/showthread.php?t=524&page=2 - but we, as developers are telling you, we're already confused with the relationship between MeeGo-Harmattan, MeeGo and Maemo. Saying "stick with the official API" doesn't help us, we've been developing applications for 5 years and want to migrate them to new platforms with as little work as possible.

But anyway, even within MeeGo rpm you might need to compile native apps more than once to target x86 or different ARM chipsets. All this can be a quite automated process, though.
Well, there's been no evidence of handling the production of deb specifics automatically from within the tools which are coming out now; so what's to assume that they'll handle deb *and* RPM packaging details? OBS should help developers at a high-level, but there's all manner of specifics to be hammered out (think dependencies which might be named differently on different platforms).

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Jaffa For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
Developers: if you don't want confusion just go for the Qt 4.6 API and the Qt SDK. Good for Maemo 5, good for MeeGo 1.0, good for your Symbian work if you are interested and good as a preparation for your MeeGo 1.1 and MeeGo-Harmattan work. If you want to plan further then you have two options: wait for SDK releases with the information your are looking for or choose your preferred Qt based technology based on your own goals or skills. Web Runtime, Quick, QWidget, QGraphicsView and MeeGo Touch fill complementary areas with little overlapping, and probably reading an introduction about each will be enough for you to see what is the best for you and the project you have in mind.

Today the MeeGo official API is the Qt 4.6 API, as detailed at http://meego.com/developers/meego-api

There hasn't been any SDK release of MeeGo 1.1 or MeeGo-Harmattan, and therefore there hasn't been any announcement about their corresponding APIs. Still, Qt 4.7 is already integrated in MeeGo trunk, so Qt 4.7 API is expected for MeeGo 1.1.

And let me insist: this is not a confusion about naming since both MeeGo and MeeGo-Harmattan will have the same Qt offering. If you want to keep discussing about this please kve the related posts in a new thread.

Or even better, go discuss at meego-dev since this is the place where you can find, ask and influence the people working on the MeeGo tools and API.

Originally Posted by Brank View Post
I think it's a good name. I can see how you can twist it in to "me ego", but if you can disregard that I don't see a problem.
Sounds catchy, especially if you say it while imitating the hulk. meego store
Sorry I don't like it though it was obviously chosen to point out the mobile aspects of the products using it. Can't say I can come up with something better anyway.

It probably can be construed to mean a half a dozen things. Maybe something in Finnish or Chinese since someone in China has registered Meego.org. I bet China, India, and Africa are the big targets with all these efforts.

Once they get the details of MeeGo to their liking, if I were Nokia, I would be the first handset manufacturer to routinely and for a reasonable price, offer unlocked phones in the US, if they want to play catchup.

I didn't find a MeeGo logo on the MeeGo site though other than those Peeple type characters.

What is their Logo? Is MeeGo going to be a selling point to be marketed or is it going to be Nokia brand that they are going to market? In my opinion marketing MeeGo to devs and manufacturers is fine but to the end customer they'd better stick with Nokia an d just show what the phones can do in the commercials. Nokia was my first phone and I'm sure the first phone of most people out there. I still think they have the most brand recognition world wide when it comes to cell phones.

Posts: 2,361 | Thanked: 3,746 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Berlin - Love this city!!
http://wiki.meego.com/MeeGo_Style_Guide
There you can see all variants of the MeeGo logo and also learn how to use it properly.

Posts: 71 | Thanked: 11 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ london
any one seen this?
http://mediacenter.motorola.com/Fact...heet-353b.aspx

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by jainkjohn View Post
any one seen this?
http://mediacenter.motorola.com/Fact...heet-353b.aspx
Yes, there are several threads on that device already, and it is off-topic for this thread.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sjgadsby For This Useful Post:
since this thread has been resurrected, i might as well put it to good use:

what's the the confusion surrounding the use of harmattan in reference to MeeGo products that has sprung up recently?

various sites seem to be saying that there will be both harmattan and Meego products, i.e. separate and distinct.

what's this about?

Posts: 2,535 | Thanked: 6,681 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ UK
Originally Posted by Jedibeeftrix View Post
what's the the confusion surrounding the use of harmattan in reference to MeeGo products that has sprung up recently?

various sites seem to be saying that there will be both harmattan and Meego products, i.e. separate and distinct.

what's this about?
Nokia's corporate announcements have said they're "still committed to releasing a MeeGo device this year".

Some people have read this as "releasing a MeeGo [project built RPM running] device". However, as far as we know, this is actually meant as "releasing a MeeGo [API compatible] device this year", aka Harmattan.

Therefore there are those who think:
  1. Harmattan's been scrapped and there'll be a "pure" MeeGo device.
  2. Harmattan's being released and then they'll release the "MeeGo device"
  3. Harmattan's being released, and that's what they meant.

I think anyone with any sense believes #3, and I believe - though haven't checked - there are concrete statements from Quim et al which confirm this.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Jaffa For This Useful Post:

Tags
branding, buying nokia devices, buying non-nokia devices, intel is stinky, intel rocks, maemo, maemo 6, meego, meego versions, moblin, nokia, see tintin go bye-bye, sm - go back into hiding