Posts: 1,873 | Thanked: 4,529 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ North Potomac MD
Originally Posted by OVK View Post
This question does not necessarily need another thread and because the TMO's Android experts have gathered here I decided to ask in this thread.

While waiting for Sailfish to conquer the world and come to my living room inside new innovative gadgets, I have decided to test some Android hardware for streaming music (Spotify, my personal song library on local network harddrive) and movies (Netflix) to my AV receiver. I have been therefore thinking to buy an Android TV stick that I could attach to my AV receiver. Any recommendations? Prefarably some stick that can be purchased from a web shop within EU.

I am also not familiar with how these types of sticks can be controlled. Do they provide a web interface so that I could use them with for example Nokia 770 (yes, I still have one laying around) web browser? Do I need to have TV turned on if I listen to Spotify or can I use the 770 as "second screen" instead of TV?
Hi OVK. Just happen to notice this on a XDA thread which mentions following possibilities. Maybe one of these might work

hdmi adapter (I bought one at radio shack and it worked pretty well. Probably not what you want but I mention it anyways)
allshare cast (Only for Samsung Galaxy models including Notes I think)
chromecast
miracast
CX-919
Ricomagic MK802

here is link

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...97164&page=107

Last edited by mscion; 2014-01-03 at 19:38.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mscion For This Useful Post:
I'd suggest having a look at the Maesy U4C.

It runs on a RK3188 chip (1.6GHz QuaA9) - as fast as a SS3.
It runs Android 4.2.2 so it's not really outdated. It also runs Linux natively.

Decent Mali400-mp4, 1GB DDR3 RAM, 4GB NAND (must load Linux off sd). The nand was a downer, should've given a 16gb.

Has BT 4 (modern LE), Wifi abgn (as well as antenna extender).

Other handy things are USB-OTG 2.0 support, Built in Mic, Built in 2MP camera (decent enough for Skype), and extension box for more USB ports and SD slots.

Seems like the best dumbTV to smartTV converter besides using a Miracast dangle, SteamBox, or a Xbox One.

I'm flattered

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kangal For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by herpderp View Post
This is the best thread here...

@OVK, did you look into the Chromecast? Should be available in Europe since October. You can control it with your Android phone AFAIK, but there are probably other methods too, like connecting a bluetooth keyboard/mouse, etc. It is a full fledged Android device that uses the TV as the display, after all.
Chromecast is not a full fledged Android device and you cannot plug a keyboard nor mouse into it. It is a very stripped down Chrome/Android hybrid device that is controlled by whitelisted apps that send it a URL or a stream. It does NOT run actually run Android applications itself.

I should know. I have three in our household now. I love it.. but please don't mistake it for an Android-on-a-stick solution. It's strictly a streaming appliance.
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
http://global.samsungtomorrow.com/?p=33461

Good news for all consumers out there...

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

The Following User Says Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Wow.. does anybody still come here? heheh
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

The Following User Says Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Yep. Only when provoked.

The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Android is such a tool.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
Android is such a tool.
A very, very handy tool.. well supported tool. Thriving and alive.

Originally Posted by danramos View Post
A very, very handy tool.. well supported tool. Thriving and alive.
Have you tried lollipop? Its slow as glue. My nexus 7 is uberslow after update. Google has some serious job to do.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
Have you tried lollipop? Its slow as glue. My nexus 7 is uberslow after update. Google has some serious job to do.
Nice avatar.
Exterminate! Exterminate! Exterminate!

I'm flattered

Tags
android envy, buzz..buzz buzz, core failure, crapdroid, galaxy fap, galaxy tab, ipad killer, samsung, tab trolls, tablet envy