What about something along the lines:

The Maemo Community is a cozy place for enthusiasts of open mobile devices and software.
It's a slight variation of what tekojo suggested.

Some reasoning for coming up with this slogan:
  • It sounds nice and friendly.
  • It does not claim to be the only place where open mobile devices and software are discussed nor does it exclude particular topics. It is non-limiting and open.
  • It does not limit the audience to developers/hackers but rather invites everyone with an interest in open mobile devices and software.

I think so far very interisting aspects had been brought up in this discussion. I also think that both platform and apps are equally important. One does not work really well without the other.
I also think that users are important as well. In my experience here, very often a user came up with some creative requirement or a great idea for a certain solution but lacked the skills, or time, or whatever to implement it. I got some nice inspirations for new applications, new features, or further development steps that way myself.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Wonko For This Useful Post:
I repeat myself, but "open mobile platforms" covers I think everything what has been said about the purpose of this forum and site? The level of openess and and level of mobility is undefined. Are the platforms on fire or not, is also undefined.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to zimon For This Useful Post:
On another note:
Don't get me wrong. I did not mean to suggest migrating other communities here.
My intent was to point out possible risks or conflicts of interest when we come up with ideas like providing sub forums for topics that are already addressed in their particular communities. Even this could already be considered unfriendly or hostile.
E.g., fragmenting (like providing different forums, wikis, etc. at different places) information platforms is usually considered non-beneficial. For myself, I didn't like the split between forum.meego.com and here pretty much as one usually ended up posting twice or looking up things twice etc.

Edit: That's why I used the term "integrating" instead of "migrating" or "moving" in the other post.
Edit2: Which apparently was too misleading or ambiguous.

Last edited by Wonko; 2012-05-15 at 13:39. Reason: typo

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Wonko For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
I know I'll cause flames and thunders but the most reasonable next step for a NIT owner is to move to android. The most open platform which is being shipped on actual devices now is android. The best devices out there ship with android.

There is a linux kernel buried down there in android. It's already established (correct me if I am wrong) that android can play well with a modified maemo kernel. I know there are a zillion android forums out there, BUT we could provide a base for something different here.

We can put some efforts to attract people that are interested in the linux part of android. There are many things to discuss like dual booting android devices with plain linux distributions, compiling kernels with more features, running X applications on android, Qt on android, and in the long run, why not, develop the inverse of nitdroid. A full fledged linux over the android kernel.

If that can be done, it's close to unicorns... Choose one of the hundreds devices out there, slap Mer/Cordia or Mer/Nemo on it and you have your dream device.

Nemo UX blog: Grog
My website: qwazix.com
My job: oob

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to qwazix For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by pycage View Post
IMHO, Maemo used to be an OS, but today for me it describes an idea of open mobile platforms that lives on in projects like MeeGo, Tizen (at least I hope so), Nemo, Plasma Active, Mer, or Meltemi (maybe). Maemo as an OS is dead, but its DNA lives on in these other projects.
Think another way: Maemo is not dead at all. Not even in 20 years, if we use it. Compare to another old platforms in computer world, there is active C64, Amiga and Atari users after 20 years when first people say they are dead. I hope that people push limits of N900 as far that people push limits of C64.

Actually Nokia would be clever if release new Maemo phone, just rerelease N900 named as N900i and include MMS support in it and maybe with Flash 11 support. There is people that wants more Maemo than Meego, Android or iOS.

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
There we go. You keep making parallels with the ol' C64/Atari/Amiga. That'll make it the proper tragedy that it's turned out to be. I'm glad to see that I wasn't the only one pointing that out--but it's hilarious to see that your context tries to put a positive spin on it. Optimism! Good for you! You keep hoping for a new Maemo device. ...And keep on hoping. *patpat*

Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

The Following User Says Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,583 | Thanked: 1,203 times | Joined on Dec 2011 @ Everywhere
not hoping for new device, but but enjoying current maemo,

Originally Posted by qwazix View Post
The most open platform which is being shipped on actual devices now is android.
No Android please. Thanks. Android has tons of communities, sites and money are poured into it by corps. No need to make one more.

Last edited by shmerl; 2012-05-17 at 23:08.

The Following User Says Thank You to shmerl For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
please take care to read the rest of the post. I addressed your concern about multiple communities. We could have different focus here.

Nemo UX blog: Grog
My website: qwazix.com
My job: oob

Last edited by qwazix; 2012-05-18 at 19:56. Reason: missing word "care"

The Following User Says Thank You to qwazix For This Useful Post:

Tags
cyanogen, goodbye maemo, tizen, winding down