Active Topics

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by YoDude View Post
Try clicking on your name in the upper right corner instead. For me the dang floaty bar obscured my name and I couldn't find it. I had to drag the bar out of the way first.
I've been talking to bergie about migrating to the non-floaty toolbar. Need to bug him about a screenshot again.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post:
Posts: 609 | Thanked: 232 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ the end of my rope
I think I followed the instructions to link maemo.org account with talk.maemo.org account and yet maemo.org says I have only like 23 posts at ITT...

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
No, you have received 23 karma points for your posts on ITT/t.m.o.

EDIT: It looks like talk.maemo.org posts are much, much less valuable than mailing list posts in terms of karma. If you want karma for posts, you really want to post to the mailing lists.

Last edited by qole; 2009-06-04 at 21:28.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
Originally Posted by qole View Post
No, you have received 23 karma points for your posts on ITT/t.m.o.

EDIT: It looks like talk.maemo.org posts are much, much less valuable than mailing list posts in terms of karma. If you want karma for posts, you really want to post to the mailing lists.[/COLOR]

Bingo! ding, ding, ding,.. We have a winner!

It's cause we stoopid up in here.

Lemme gives xzample...

In my world if something does not work right I don't use it. If it is a product for sale, I don't buy it. If it a service provided, I don't employ it. If I'm the producer of the product or the provider of the service and sales or interest is low compared to my competition, I look for ways to improve my product or service.

In this case itT was maemo.org's competition. In fact, based on the numbers that I could gather at the time, it looked like itT was spankin' the hell out of maemo.org as far as new user growth goes.

Now as I was saying, in my world if I was getting my buttocks handed to me by the competition I would, at the very least look at what works for them and try to emulate it. I would also look within and solicit customer or user feedback and make what changes I could to improve my product or service.

But that's what us stoopid people would do.

In this case maemo.org obtained the resources to acquire the competition outright. That way they don't have to change a dang thing. Pretty dang smart, eh?

Stoopid question: Won't the itT members complain about the problems they encountered before?

Smart answer: Make them all members of maemo.org and tell them that as members it is there responsibility to make the changes that they feel are necessary.

Another stoopid question: What happens if there are more active members now that originated from itT than there are active members originally from maemo.org?

Smart answer: Give itT members less status for their past contributions that way they can never affect the status quo.

Final stoopid question: If changes aren’t made to improve maemo.org now that it has absorbed itT, wont this create demand for another place for new users.

Final smart answer: __________________________________?

Last edited by YoDude; 2009-06-05 at 01:55.

Posts: 1,605 | Thanked: 1,601 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Southern California
...It looks like talk.maemo.org posts are much, much less valuable than mailing list posts in terms of karma. If you want karma for posts, you really want to post to the mailing lists.
I could be wrong, but I think the original decision for this (a long, long time ago) was because most mailing list discussion (a lot less than what goes on in these forums, regardless of the domain name) was dev-to-dev about actual subjects that were impacting application development for Maemo. On the flip side, most of the discussion that was/is going on here is social and impertinent to ongoing application development.

Now that everything is combined -- and the mailing list will soon be integrated here -- this subject should definitely be re-approached. It has nothing to do with the forums being "lesser" than the mailing lists, only that a lot more posts happen here than there -- making the Karma weights disproportional.

Tim

Last edited by timsamoff; 2009-06-05 at 00:57.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to timsamoff For This Useful Post:
Posts: 610 | Thanked: 391 times | Joined on Feb 2006 @ DC, USA
It looks like talk.maemo.org posts are much, much less valuable than mailing list posts in terms of karma. If you want karma for posts, you really want to post to the mailing lists.
Ain't that interesting?

Deuteronomy 13:6-10; 2 Kings 2:23-24; Judges 19:22-29

YoDude, your forced black font totally makes the message disappear in the Classic Dark theme. Unless you are trying to hide the message from "The Man" or something.

It looks like talk.maemo.org posts are much, much less valuable than mailing list posts in terms of karma. If you want karma for posts, you really want to post to the mailing lists.
Other than meeting the minimum requirement for voting, what is karma good for?

When I get to 10,000, can I cash them in for a maemo.org t-shirt?

The Following User Says Thank You to mullf For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
Originally Posted by mullf View Post
YoDude, your forced black font totally makes the message disappear in the Classic Dark theme. Unless you are trying to hide the message from "The Man" or something.
I didn't do it on purpose... H'mmm, I removed all the color tags. Every freakin' sentence was tagged. It must have been something carried over from the text editor I used...

And Tim...

So be it. I'm a grown-up, when I raised these questions quite awhile ago, this could have been the answer then. Instead I was admonished for not using the correct case "m" or it was implied that my intention was something more than just genuine curiosity aroused when numbers don't add up.

The reality though is someone (not you or qole) did know why back then, but thought it best not to share it with this part of the community...

BTW, when you guys say "developer" are you talking about developing Maemo the OS or developing applications that run in the OS.

Because if it is the former, is this "community" involved in the PIM suite that apparently will ship with Maemo 5?

If it is more like the latter then I am proud of the role that this forum has played in the testing and development of some of the most successful downloads available.

Personal Menu

A sidebar plugin for a customizable menu for launching installed applications or arbitrary commands.

More

Last edited by YoDude; 2009-06-05 at 02:48.

Posts: 1,605 | Thanked: 1,601 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Southern California
Originally, itT wasn't even counted in the m.o Karma count. I think around the time of the first Council election, we (those of us conversing on the mailing lists and using the m.o wiki) opted to add itT into the count-mix in order to give users a chance to build up Karma so that they could vote in the election... Again, I could be wrong.

As for the community (be it in the forums or on the lists) contributing to some very successful (and exemplary) applications, you'll find no argument here. Like I said, we need to revisit the Karma counting methodology. In fact, on a slightly related note, you should see this (I should have linked to this earlier):

http://lists.maemo.org/pipermail/mae...ay/002505.html

Please feel free to contact Alexey and bring these issues up.

Btw, Karma is also a way that Nokia determines who might be elegible for developer discounts on new devices.

Tim

Last edited by timsamoff; 2009-06-05 at 03:18.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to timsamoff For This Useful Post:

Tags
community council, election, karma