Posts: 283 | Thanked: 60 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ It's dark in here. I hear laughing.
As I'm sitting in the US wondering if my preorder will be filled, I'm wondering on how I can use this thing in non-Web-browsing ways.

For instance, is there any chance Java is on or could be installed? That would open up apps like a remote for my Roku SoundBridge.

Thanks.

-F

Posts: 605 | Thanked: 137 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ La Rochelle, France
There is A Java VM being ported (JamVM) ! Check out the Wiki
Fred

The intricacies of Java have always been a bit confusing to me. Would porting VM, if fully functional, allow for use of most Java apps you come across in websites? Thanks.

Jeff

jamvm was removed from wiki because it's not stable i think. see this message for more information :
http://maemo.org/pipermail/maemo-dev...er/001487.html
and i think later information will be in mailing list first

Posts: 283 | Thanked: 60 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ It's dark in here. I hear laughing.
Would porting VM, if fully functional, allow for use of most Java apps you come across in websites?
Yes. Technically, it would depend on how much of the JVM specification was ported. But if the standard JVM is ported, then most standard Java apps should run without recompilation.

This is sometimes not true for small platforms. Sometimes, things will get stripped from the JVM (it's big now) or a platform will support only J2ME (micro edition), which has a different view of the world so that it works on things like mobile phones. Sometimes extra classes will not be ported for space reasons.

Since the 770 is ARM-based, it looks like JamVM should port easily.

-F

Posts: 5 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Swansea,MA USA
JamVM should port easily. I'd like to bring all my Zaurus Java Apps over to the 770.

Has anyone tried the web interface to vnc? Does it work with the 770?

TI OMAP 1710, the nokia 770 processor have this :
ARM926TEJ core subsystem

* Up to 220 MHz ARM926TEJ V5 architecture (maximum frequency)
* 32KB I-cache; 16KB D-cache
* Java acceleration
* Support for 32-bit and 16-bit (thumb mode) instruction sets
* Data and program MMUs
* Two 64-entry translation look-aside buffers (TLBs) for MMUs
* 17-word write buffer
(source :
http://focus.ti.com/general/docs/wtb...data/omap_1710 )
So i think it could be possible to have a great jvm...

More here.

Only J2ME is mentioned there. I can't really fathom what "Java acceleration" would mean unless it's some form of low level optimisation for facets of a Java VM, e.g. threading optimisation to speed GC and so on.

mono is running on the nokia, so this could work: http://www.ikvm.net/

Last edited by roel; 2005-11-17 at 19:57.

A Java VM running _inside_ a .NET CLR running _inside_ Maemo running _inside_ Debian???

Teetering tower of technology springs to mind