Hey!. I wanted to know if my n800 camera is working properly. Here is the thing, every time I make a video call to a pc (using xlite) or to my friend (who has an n810), the video that my n800 sends is very very pixelated, the same thing goes with the video that my friends n810 sends. So that makes me think that its not only my device. But when I saw this video from thoughtfix (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XE2fhlh3hJs), I noticed that the video hes receiving is not pixelated at all. Im using OS2008 Diablo and the OS from the video is OS2007, maybe thats why. Maybe something changed with the webcam settings. Is there any way to improve the webcam quality?, can I change the webcam settings like the bitrate, maybe dropping some frames but increasing the bitrate.

Thanks in advance

Posts: 631 | Thanked: 837 times | Joined on May 2007 @ Milton, Ontario, Canada
The webcam is not the highest quality in the first place, but the other big problem is that the CPU on the tablets just isn't strong enough to support a good high quality video codec, so you're stuck using some of the more 'pixelated' ones. For example, when you call from tablet to XLite you're using H263 for video, which is a pretty old and cruddy codec, but it does at least work. When you do video chat between tablets I'm not sure if you're using SIP (as with tablet to PC) or googleTalk, but I think the googleTalk codec is similiar if not exactly the same so quality is in the same sort of boat. One thing that will help is better lighting; I find the video chats in a nice bright area without a lot of movement and lots of network bandwidth look just fine (you get a little bit of pixelation but it's not terrible); darker scenes or trying to do chats with other things running either on the tablet or over the network definitely have an impact on quality. AFAIK there aren't any quality settings or anything as H263 is one of those "the default settings are what everyone should use to work together" sort of things...

Yes, its not the best webcam. But I ask about the settings because of the video I posted above. In that video I see no "pixelation". Its clear, compared with the image I get talking to my friend or using xlite. And another thing I noticed is that when using amsn, doing a videochat is almost impossible because as you said the n800 CPU isn't strong enough, the frame rate is like 1 per second, BUT the quality of the image that the device sends is a lot better in that is not pixelated at all. I tried all of your suggestions, and I can live with the results but I never get the image quality that is shown in the thoughtfix video.

The Following User Says Thank You to marce_245 For This Useful Post: