No problems here either, had the N900 on pre-order for two months, received it on 7th Dec 09, it's been plugged in to charge every night since then, often during the day as well, often connected for file transfers. Never had any problems, it feels solid as a rock.

(Walks off to find a piece of wood to knock on).

question. I am sure Nokia will/has already corrected this problem for future phones (I think) but.. is this any indication of the quality of there products? how about there ability to affectively handle manufacturers defects? does this rub any one else the wrong way? Like is any one scared to buy a new nokia device knowing full well of this issue? and the way Nokia handled it? I mean, no re-call, no discount on upgraded device. They just replace the phone with another one that is destined to eventually have the same issue. funny thing is Nokia is usualy pretty darn good with hardware. I suppose it would be to expensive to refund or re-call at any rate.

Posts: 1,503 | Thanked: 2,688 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Denmark
Just wanted to add on the strengthening i did on the USB when i got going it took about 10-20minuts to do (including dissemble, soldering, assembly), it is really a good quick fix, and i can say again that it REALLY makes the USB much stronger, just look at the pics, in the before pics you can see that the USB is soldered on by 4 small points, the after pics you see the 2 of them being expanded and soldered from the top of the USB and pretty wide, just take note that the wider you make the base the more you will have to adjust the back cover.

But so far i have done my primary and new used N900, and redkarma's without a hitch, all tested and working good with the USB.

But again this fix is mostly to prevent a USB fault, it can fix a partly loose USB, and even a completely loose USB if the connections can be established again, then you can still solder the USB down by using the method i did.

all I did when I got my new phone is what been suggested by others. I filed down the usb hooks. now the usb cable goes in and out with no extra force like before.

Posts: 1,503 | Thanked: 2,688 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Denmark
Originally Posted by m4r0v3r View Post
all I did when I got my new phone is what been suggested by others. I filed down the usb hooks. now the usb cable goes in and out with no extra force like before.
Yes and that is a very good way to minimize wear and tear, but the work i just did really gives a bit more peace of mind, knowing that the USB is now many times stronger, combine that with filed down USB then it should never go wrong. (again not that i really use my USB, only for data transfer)

Posts: 1,187 | Thanked: 816 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Australia
You could try epoxy? (I'm sure it has been said)

Someone suggested to also solder/glue it - using small metal plate - to shielding behind port.

What do You think guys, will it fit into cover after that? I know, that soldering to PCB is strong enough, but just out of curiosity, for those, who want to make tank-like port...
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

Posts: 70 | Thanked: 17 times | Joined on Apr 2012 @ Mumai,India
Does the Soldering void the warranty?
Because mine is still under warranty for next 18 months(bought late,had warranty extended)......
Also I have never soldered before,would be trying my luck if I tried my first soldering on this baby......

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Yes, I think soldering would void the warranty.

yes, for sure it voids the warranty, but...what is the warranty ( replacement) for a N900?

an E7? a N8?

I have lost the warranty of 3 N900

regards