Posts: 2,142 | Thanked: 2,054 times | Joined on Dec 2006 @ Sicily
@alfmar: particolarmente urgentissimo?

Back on topic: I bet the UI of Maemo 6 is going to rock. I remember a demo with horizontal scrolling of cathegories (photos, videos, bookmarks, contacts) and vertical scrolling of each cathegory items, and it was very nice and functional. We'll see...

Check out the Cordia project, they are porting Maemo hildon desktop to Meego

Posts: 762 | Thanked: 395 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Helsinki
Originally Posted by debernardis View Post
@alfmar: particolarmente urgentissimo?

Back on topic: I bet the UI of Maemo 6 is going to rock. I remember a demo with horizontal scrolling of cathegories (photos, videos, bookmarks, contacts) and vertical scrolling of each cathegory items, and it was very nice and functional. We'll see...
That UI was suspended around the time rumours got out that the first Maemo6 device will be possibly touch-screen only. The first hardware design of the Harmattan device with keyboard was scrapped and the UI along side it.

Please read my blog: "PeakMobility", which deals with MeeGo/Maemo, Windows Phone and mobile technology in general from a hedonistic user point-of-view: http://peakmob.blogspot.com/

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cjp For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by tswindell View Post
The next Nokia device (possibly called the N950) will be running what was previously known as Maemo 6, though porting maemo 5 to the new hardware may be possible, I doubt anyone will see any point.
I wish Nokia would make up there mind on a OS. Symbian^3? Maemo 5, 6? Meego? i really don't care what they go with I just wish they stick with something and groom it to be the monster that Android is now. I would love to put maemo 5 on better hardware so if this is possible I would be all over it. Here is the point. Meego will be new. I remember maemo 5 when it was new. It will have a itty bitty lil app store. The apps may or may not be polished. I am sure it will have a bunch of bugs as can be expected with any new software. Just because the OS is new doesnt mean it will be mature. I am content with the usability of Maemo 5 now and I don't wish to relive this maemo 5 saga all over again with Meego.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to andraeseus1 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by andraeseus1 View Post
I wish Nokia would make up there mind on a OS.
Err, they did. Windows Phone, 100%. Symbian is on its way out and MeeGo won't get off the ground inside Nokia. Perhaps you have been living under a rock?

The Following User Says Thank You to wmarone For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,338 | Thanked: 1,055 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ California, USA / Jordan
It's like saying can we put Windows 95 on a Windows 7 machine.. Why?

Originally Posted by bandora View Post
It's like saying can we put Windows 95 on a Windows 7 machine.. Why?
more like saying can we put windows xp on a windows 7 machine. reason why is because the hardware is likely better and the fact that xp is the most stable (imo) os windows has released. it has had 3 major service packs along with a host of bug fixes and patches. Windows 7 has had only 1 along with some paches and a buggy ie 9. of course this anology isnt the best cause windows xp can barely address 4GBs of RAM but ma point is the old os which is MATURE will work better and be less buggy then the new OS which may be ditched as soon as some new CEO decides they need a new direction.

Originally Posted by wmarone View Post
Err, they did. Windows Phone, 100%. Symbian is on its way out and MeeGo won't get off the ground inside Nokia. Perhaps you have been living under a rock?
maybe your right. maybe its windows phone all the way.. I just hope they stick with it long enough for it to become somethign special and not forgotten in a year.

I haven't really seen an answer for this... Only sarcasm... I really loved Maemo5 and am more than satisfied with all the existent apps, so would it be able to port it to a more powerful machine such as the N950?

Posts: 415 | Thanked: 732 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Finland
Originally Posted by IsaacDFP View Post
I haven't really seen an answer for this... Only sarcasm... I really loved Maemo5 and am more than satisfied with all the existent apps, so would it be able to port it to a more powerful machine such as the N950?
Since this is pretty much only about the user land bits I'd suggest you take look at the cordia project like stated previously in the thread. That effort combined with the MeeGo Community edition effort on enabling MeeGo on N9x0 should give you pretty much what you're asking for.

Last edited by timoph; 2011-08-07 at 07:15.

The Following User Says Thank You to timoph For This Useful Post: