Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by xxxxts View Post
Your failed view on smart TVs and Netflix is simply an incompatibility to deal with progressing technology.
unwillingness to put all your eggs in one basket

There. Fixed it for ya.

I've noticed exactly the same pattern as marxian. His point was not to avoid corporations but to avoid a lock-in to a single corporation. iPhone is groovy as long as all your other devices are also Apple and all your contacts use iPhone. None of that applies to me. In fact, I do not have a single Apple device and none of my friends or relatives has an iPhone. So little point obtaining one.

In fact, most of the "advantages" you present are huge disadvantages when you step back and look at them properly. Wow, it is so easy to transfer <choose our pick> from one Apple device to another. What if I want to transfer it to (or from, as my previous post demonstrated) a non-Apple device? Suddenly not that easy, heh?

Take the screen contents transfer from your iPhone to your iTV. Easy, right? But wait a minute. My 5 years old Nokia N900, running an obscure OS that few have even heard of, can transfer its screen contents to any TV. Beat that!

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
unwillingness to put all your eggs in one basket

There. Fixed it for ya.

I've noticed exactly the same pattern as marxian. His point was not to avoid corporations but to avoid a lock-in to a single corporation. iPhone is groovy as long as all your other devices are also Apple and all your contacts use iPhone. None of that applies to me. In fact, I do not have a single Apple device and none of my friends or relatives has an iPhone. So little point obtaining one.

In fact, most of the "advantages" you present are huge disadvantages when you step back and look at them properly. Wow, it is so easy to transfer <choose our pick> from one Apple device to another. What if I want to transfer it to (or from, as my previous post demonstrated) a non-Apple device? Suddenly not that easy, heh?

Take the screen contents transfer from your iPhone to your iTV. Easy, right? But wait a minute. My 5 years old Nokia N900, running an obscure OS that few have even heard of, can transfer its screen contents to any TV. Beat that!
The iPhone can as well, you are excluding my usage of the term wirelessly.

Originally Posted by thedead1440 View Post
I really don't see the point of the topic; is it sharing your view point or is to come here and chastise people who choose not wanting to give up their "ancient" piece of technology?

My sincere hopes are for such topics to continue with viewpoints being shared instead of chastising people for their different choices.
I made it quite clear. I believe that there is a stigma among many people as the iPhone being very limited, I had that perception when I purchased my 4S, expecting to return it within 30 days. When I jailbroke it I found it to be just as open as Android and can run a VNC server and SSHd, something that I would have never of known.

I was distressed upon coming to the realization that Maemo 5/N900 no longer served my needs in 2012, I went looking for alternatives at that time. As someone who loves open source and Maemo 5 and the device itself it was a challenging experience. However though my research I have discovered that the iPhone 4S/5S platform is solid as well as iOS 5+, especially when jailbroken.

Please view my threads leading up to this one to see how many members at the time were misinformed about the capability of the iPhone 4S.

Posts: 1,974 | Thanked: 1,834 times | Joined on Mar 2013 @ india
The iPhone can as well, you are excluding my usage of the term wirelessly.
you feel burnt or what ?? take the ir i can can control any piece . Sure the n900 has shown its age but theres more to show still it just dosent have to eat the remaining apple...as i said previously its the use case people will use what they like .

Posts: 702 | Thanked: 2,059 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ UK
Yes, Apple has coined that "Air Drop" and works very well, surprisingly. (I have always found many Bluetooth file transfers and connectivity to be finicky)

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht5887
Although the major flaw, as pointed out in Apple's own support document is that it's only between iOS7 devices.

Mac OSX has Airdrop also but it's not compatible with the iOS version. Airdrop also doesn't work on most of the Macs in our office either as only newer models are supported. I've also an iPad that isn't supported too. And that's before we mention copying files to non-Apple kit.

It's utterly, utterly stupid.

Meanwhile, the drive on my Jolla mounts over wifi with FUSE sshfs even on a G4 PowerMac and transfers are QUICKER than Airdrop. I didn't need to add any app to my Jolla for that.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to aegis For This Useful Post:
xxxxts, anyway, (I hope) everyone here is glad to see you found a device you really enjoy. It doesn't matter what others say as long as you like it. And thanks for the feedback from the light side. =)

Last edited by FlashInTheNight86; 2014-05-29 at 02:48.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to FlashInTheNight86 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by aegis View Post
Although the major flaw, as pointed out in Apple's own support document is that it's only between iOS7 devices.

Mac OSX has Airdrop also but it's not compatible with the iOS version. Airdrop also doesn't work on most of the Macs in our office either as only newer models are supported. I've also an iPad that isn't supported too. And that's before we mention copying files to non-Apple kit.

It's utterly, utterly stupid.

Meanwhile, the drive on my Jolla mounts over wifi with FUSE sshfs even on a G4 PowerMac and transfers are QUICKER than Airdrop. I didn't need to add any app to my Jolla for that.
Even if Jolla was an option for me (which it's not, I am in North America) I don't think I would trade my iPhone for it for a few reasons.

another iPhone convert [waves hand]

I really enjoyed the n900 but only for emacs on a phone.

I'd still be using it, but like you said, the n900 and at&t was not a good mix. Around here, tmobile has some large dead zones.

I'm all apple now, tried android and hated it. The iPhone is pretty good in my opinion - I actually like the lack of multi-tasking. When the phone rings, you can answer it...everytime.

if the neo900 ever lifts off, or if I ever catch a glimpse of someone running native emacs on a phone, any phone, I'll climb back out of the apple pool.

Posts: 741 | Thanked: 900 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Auckland NZ
I have no problem with iOS. I've owned both the 4S and 5. I passed my 5 to a family member before I got the Jolla. I also have various iPads and an old iPod touch that I use mostly to push video content to my Apple tv these days.

Posts: 1,195 | Thanked: 2,708 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Hanoi
Even if Jolla was an option for me (which it's not, I am in North America) I don't think I would trade my iPhone for it for a few reasons.
It is a pity you have little reason to test the Jolla without support for the USA frequency standards.

You are a person that recognizes a thing of beauty when he lays his hands on it.
The OS is like Maemo 5 a true relieve to work with.

Yes the hardware could be better compared to a Nokia but in that case the purchase ceiling would be unrealistic even for many enthusiastic early adopters.
Just like it was easy to not purchase the iPhone based on my functionality requirements (core functionality such as BT, SIP) compared to my old Nokia E52 where I still had to navigate using directional HW key, so easy it is today to disregard the iPhone based on the archaic home button only.
I could not accept that kind of control type in 2009 when the choice between iPhone and , much less in 2014.
Jolla needs only 1 good application for each missing core functionality , the iPhone needs a complete overhaul to bring it into the next decade.