Notices

Posts: 329 | Thanked: 422 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ derpton
As a developer, I am ashamed of you, other developers, who are flaming the user.

Plain and simple, you are ***holes. Like you can't create an ad supported free version of the apps you create... Pffft.

I develop only ad supported, free apps. They are worth it, and get way more users than the pay apps. YMMV, but flaming a guy because he wants something "free", is really shameful.

Now, somebody ban me please.

Edit: Also LOL @ the guy who took the trouble to explicitly ban the user from their apps. Congrats, that's a nice way to look at the world and treat average people. I'm sure you have thousands of satisfied other users.

Last edited by herpderp; 2012-12-28 at 19:15.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to herpderp For This Useful Post:
the usual fee for an app is about a dollar or two.. kinda silly reason for not buying an app. i spend more on cigarettes every day. I havent seen a free app doing what u asked for. i cant really say i looked for it either tho.

Posts: 376 | Thanked: 257 times | Joined on Dec 2012 @ Sweden
Originally Posted by shma View Post
the usual fee for an app is about a dollar or two.. kinda silly reason for not buying an app. i spend more on cigarettes every day. I havent seen a free app doing what u asked for. i cant really say i looked for it either tho.
I can pay 10 dollar or even more if the apps does what I want.

The Following User Says Thank You to setter For This Useful Post:
Posts: 12 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ South Africa
Edit: Also LOL @ the guy who took the trouble to explicitly ban the user from their apps. Congrats, that's a nice way to look at the world and treat average people. I'm sure you have thousands of satisfied other users.[/QUOTE]

I can't speak for everyone else but Dropian is the best Dropbox client I have so I'm definitely a satisfied user.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to herpderp For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by discordia View Post
Edit: Also LOL @ the guy who took the trouble to explicitly ban the user from their apps. Congrats, that's a nice way to look at the world and treat average people. I'm sure you have thousands of satisfied other users.
I can't speak for everyone else but Dropian is the best Dropbox client I have so I'm definitely a satisfied user.[/QUOTE]

I'm real happy for you, just never ever mention that you'd prefer some app for free. He might ban you from his apps for that.

Originally Posted by herpderp View Post
As a developer, I am ashamed of you, other developers, who are flaming the user.

Plain and simple, you are ***holes. Like you can't create an ad supported free version of the apps you create... Pffft.

I develop only ad supported, free apps. They are worth it, and get way more users than the pay apps. YMMV, but flaming a guy because he wants something "free", is really shameful.

Now, somebody ban me please.

Ad supported Apps are usually terrible and I rather pay. Maybe for something You dont use many times.

Posts: 2,225 | Thanked: 3,822 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Florida
Regardless about how one feels about add supported apps, or whatever, the amount of virulent hate towards the guy for wanting a free app is just... sad, i think, is the best word. The guy even made a decent point about people who might enjoy doing things for free, he just said it in a somewhat dickish way - but that can be explained by language barriers.

At the end of the day, paying for apps is about far more than just supporting developers. For instance, I will gladly support developers who make their creations open source (even if they still charge for it on an app store), and less so, but depending on circumstance, closed-source. I also like to support the Humble Bundle and similar payment approaches, which are, as far as I am concerned, the much more ideal future of digital good selling.

At the same time, I often have no desire to pay through organizations like PayPal, which I dislike, and honestly, if I could, I would boycot the credit card companies as well. As stated by HerpDerp, sometimes people want to pay but can't. Sometimes they don't want to pay but it's about greater social issues than supporting developers. Sure, a lot of people are just dickishly interested in getting thing for free, everyone else be damned. But you should consider the entire range of possibilities, from people who are like that, to people who want to pay but can't, or people who might prefer to ask around for a free thing just in case there is one, to people who's ideas about ethics and morality keep them from paying in a given circumstance.

As for myself, I have see a lot wrong in the way software selling works. I very strongly believe in an ideal of open source and generous donations (as is when I can, I like to donate in $20 or €20 amounts; if I wasn't a college student and had sufficient spare cash, I would be donating to a lot more people, more frequently, possibly more money). When that's not an option or undesireable, I believe in pay-as-much-as-you-want models with very low minimum payment floors. And I will personally often not use programs precisely because they require payment in ways I don't like.

But what I don't do is flare with vitriolic rage at developers who choose to make their software paid, or demonize them (either in my own throughts or in discourse with others) as all being greedy unethically selfish people - which is exactly the kind of flawed reasoning that the hostility towards the OP displays.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Mentalist Traceur For This Useful Post:
Posts: 141 | Thanked: 417 times | Joined on Jun 2012 @ Malaysia
@herpderp and @Mentalist Traceur

I think you guys are gone too far and missed some points.

Firstly, it is very clearly that he DON'T want to pay, not he CAN'T pay.

Secondly, he explain his point of not paying developer in a rude way like saying paying money to developer is like paying money to begger.

They didn't flame him for asking a free apps, they flaming him for not appreciate the developers' hardwork.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dicksonleong8 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 87 | Thanked: 26 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Canada
Sorry if I offended anybody here. It was certainly not my intention to upset people or hurt people's feelings. It was just a basic question about an app. I never expected to get a mainly negative response.

To clarify: I don't mind paying for quality work - and have bought apps if I think they are worth it.

Anyway: my question is answered. Thanks for your responses. I am going to bake some cookies.

The Following User Says Thank You to bioman For This Useful Post: