Active Topics

Posts: 992 | Thanked: 995 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ California
Originally Posted by iball View Post
> For me it seems you trade off the convenience of work with server to convenience of connection to server.

Ummm....no. I can check services and logs on servers just fine this way.
Ah, OK, that us exactly that iPad was designed for - use it to see the content. Sorry, I did assume that anybody who works with SSH/etc creates a content/software/etc.

The Following User Says Thank You to egoshin For This Useful Post:
Posts: 337 | Thanked: 283 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ NYC
Despite the general skepticism in this thread, I believe that what iball describes as a usage scenario for an iPad or similar is indeed quite valid. I myself had considered in the past getting an N810 to use as a remote for my livingroom computer. I think that a touch screen would add an interesting spin to the interaction with a touch-naive OS, that including the on-screen keyboard...

But as iball suggests, this has to be tested first. Now, I wouldn't bother with the tiny screen of iP[od/hone], and the iPad is a couple of months away... In any case, for me the use as a remote terminal to my media PC does not justify the current price, I also have my reservations if the linear browsing model that iball describes fits my flow (while typing a post I often check words/facts/posts in parallel browser sessions, is that even possible with a single-tasking device?).

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Why is the iPad better than the ideapad from Lenovo? It has a full keyboard, detachable monitor, runs Win 7, works with Flash, etc. 10.1 inch display. $499.99 list price from the TigerDirect catalog I have in front of me.

I suddenly realized I don't quite get it...

Posts: 861 | Thanked: 734 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Nomadic
Originally Posted by geneven View Post
Why is the iPad better than the ideapad from Lenovo? It has a full keyboard, detachable monitor, runs Win 7, works with Flash, etc. 10.1 inch display. $499.99 list price from the TigerDirect catalog I have in front of me.

I suddenly realized I don't quite get it...
Because the iPad has magic. We're not supposed to understand magic, just be in awe of its ability to delude even the geeky-ones.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ARJWright For This Useful Post:
Posts: 319 | Thanked: 289 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Lisboa, Portugal
Originally Posted by ARJWright View Post
Because the iPad has magic. We're not supposed to understand magic, just be in awe of its ability to delude even the geeky-ones.
YEAH!!! And people that buy apple products are so much cooler than anyone else in the world... Look how great it looks to pass by in a Starbucks and see them with their laptops looking around if someone is looking at them... Or in a party when everyone is talking about soccer they come up with "I was just talking about this with a friend in iChat over my iCam with my MacBook". It is just AWESOME!!

It is not for us, mere mortals, to understand. We just need to embrace and buy what they want us to buy.

ps. I personally feel the need to be cool since no one likes me. And if a tablet can do that for just 800€ much better...

... a party when everyone is talking about soccer ... *shudder*

Posts: 319 | Thanked: 289 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Lisboa, Portugal
No soccer? Its okay... You can have an iParty and bring your MacBook

Posts: 992 | Thanked: 995 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ California
The Apple "magic" is actually based on advantages of some Apple products. Apple notebooks are not bad and have a good software set. If compare with Windows it is much better. And people who don't want to do a self-support and non-Windows choses it. The same can be said about iPhone, actually.

But Apple is not wizard and sometime their products are not very good but average. However, S.J. has a brain and he creates a culture of i* (you described it pretty well) and that products are sold well too.

The Following User Says Thank You to egoshin For This Useful Post:
Posts: 229 | Thanked: 77 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Los Angeles
Originally Posted by egoshin View Post
The Apple "magic" is actually based on advantages of some Apple products. Apple notebooks are not bad and have a good software set. If compare with Windows it is much better. And people who don't want to do a self-support and non-Windows choses it. The same can be said about iPhone, actually.

But Apple is not wizard and sometime their products are not very good but average. However, S.J. has a brain and he creates a culture of i* (you described it pretty well) and that products are sold well too.
My usual complaint about Apple products is they're overpriced, you can find the products with similar function at much lower price.
And they always make somthing usual a big deal, like the first 2-button mouse for Mac? (didn't I have that for PC 15+ years ago?) video recording on phone? (any dumbphone can do it)

But if considering the "cool" factor, they might worth it , just not for me.

Last edited by mcdull; 2010-02-03 at 17:12.

Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by egoshin View Post
It seems that theyre getting lazy with the success. iPod nano hasn't evolved at all and iPhone can be in similar situation in couple of years. I'd rather talk about iPads success in 2011. Forums (and consults etc) are seldom right with their predictions. On an other hand sales figures never lie if those are announced.

but yes, I myself call those enthusiasts macfags. one common characteristic for them is that they get really pissed if someone switches for example from iPhone to hero (I have never seen such fury.....) and they opinion is that their user cases are universal and you can't have differing needs compared to them.
If the link doesn't help, just use
Google Custom Search

Tags
apple, ifarted, ipad, tablet