Hey. Is this true???
Nokia to release Maemo 6 product this year
Whole world goes 'whaaaaat?'
By Kate Solomon

Nokia seems set to release a Maemo 6 device at some point this year, according to a MeeGo Conference session summary.

That's right, we said Maemo. The long-dead (or so we thought) Nokia OS only made it on to the Nokia N900 before being replaced (or so we thought) with MeeGo, Nokia and Intel's collaborative OS.

What's more, we thought MeeGo was pretty much dead to consumers too, when Nokia announced that Windows Phone 7 would be its smartphone platform of choice and MeeGo would see one lone "product" release this year, then remaining largely behind-the-scenes as a development platform.

Confusatory
The mysterious device, seemingly travelling from a parallel dimension where Maemo survived into 2011, is to run an OS codenamed Harmattan – also known as Maemo 6.

The session summary reads: "Nokia is working on the release of a product this year, expected to raise the interest of the MeeGo community. It comes with an OS codenamed Harmattan that is API compatible with MeeGo 1.2."

It goes on to say, "The relationship between Harmattan and the MeeGo project is expected to be clarified before the MeeGo Conference."

The session also hopes to address frequently asked questions, including what the official name of Harmattan Nokia products will be and what the differences between Harmattan and MeeGo are.

Source: http://www.techradar.com/news/phone-...is-year-936436

The Following User Says Thank You to naninenu For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Something like this seems to be quite true. Now, given Nokia's record of quickly dropping products and suddenly focusing what it's REALLY after, I wouldn't hold out much hope for fixes that might be needed after the release, but if you want a Maemo product and you don't care if it is supported by Nokia, your chances seem good.

The Following User Says Thank You to geneven For This Useful Post:
Posts: 248 | Thanked: 191 times | Joined on May 2010 @ New Zealand
I am sure there was a thread about this a couple of days ago...

Posts: 738 | Thanked: 179 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Gold Coast, Australia
Oh dear god.

The Following User Says Thank You to lucas777 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Originally Posted by mishmich View Post
I am sure there was a thread about this a couple of days ago...
Absolutely, and you would do well to find the thread and send a message to a moderator using the Report feature, asking the moderator to merge it.

In my experience, the moderators aren't always interested in agreeing to merge threads unless it strikes them as advantageous in some way, but reporting the thread is the best way to try to control duplicate threads.

If its dual core, good battery, bigger screen size, Super AMOLED ??? I will definitely welcome it

Posts: 395 | Thanked: 509 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Brisbane, Australia
Should focus less on making a new OS for every new phone and stick to one and fixing it, updating it, maintaining it. Keep upgrading the hardware, update the software at the same time but not start a new OS every time.

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Is there anything new in this article/post?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to benny1967 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 279 | Thanked: 231 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Holland
They will release a successor, better late then never. But it is highly anticipated, and might not stand up to the expectations of the average Maemo user.

If Nokia is keeping Maemo alive, I bet it's more like on pills rather than maturing. We know they were focussing on MeeGo instead of Maemo, and if they have been working on Maemo6 since the 'wontfix' period, I'm not expecting that much.

Having said that, can this mean that the persumably N950 is closing to completion whilse MeeGo 1.2 is that far from completion still it's more strategic for Nokia to expand/mature) Maemo further?

Posts: 216 | Thanked: 72 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Switzerland
I don't need a new OS. I would appreciate a faster CPU, bigger screen and one minor tweek in Maemo 5 - Flash 10.1

Other then this my N900 is perfect for me.

Markus

https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=8844

missing a scrollbar? Vote here:http://maemo.org/community/brainstor...tic_scrolling/

Add quickbar (ABC, DEF, ...) in the Contact App. Vote here:http://maemo.org/community/brainstor..._address_book/

Tags
jokes, op needs a slap, op needs drugs, tech unicorn