Poll: How much apps do you typically keep open on your N900?
Poll Options
How much apps do you typically keep open on your N900?

Posts: 1,048 | Thanked: 979 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ SF Bay Area
Originally Posted by Peter@Maemo Marketing View Post
Good point, indeed. I'll check with the guys from email R&D. I don't know, but to be honest I rather have a combined inbox than plenty of windows for each email account.
I too want a combined inbox, but I want something that matches the BB inbox view which is truly combined. The usual meaning of combined inbox is the BB inbox, not modest.

Meanwhile my multi-tasked apps:
1. Instant messaging: Skype, Facebook, SIP (Gizmo), The One Ring
2. MyContacts
3. qgvdial (sometimes open window, other times backgrounded)
4. Phone app (alongside MyContacts and qgvdial)
5. Browsers: MicroB for those times I need heavy Javascript (gmail) or Flash (youtube). Opera when I just want something quick.
6. OpenVPN applet

And for a more advanced usage:
7. ssh in xterm that does X forwarding from my home server across OpenVPN
8. Google Chrome running across forwarded X from #7 above. Multiple tabs with heavy pages running in chrome. Linux FTW!!
qgvnotify: Google voice and contacts notifier for diablo and maemo.

If you want to thank me, click the Thanks button.
If you'd like to thank my applications, vote to move them to extras.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to uvatbc For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,121 | Thanked: 1,540 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Oxford, UK
I have File Manager and Notes running all the time (I have lots of Notes files and use File Manager as a "launcher" for them, among other file management tasks). When I'm actively using the device I may have a Terminal window or web browser window or Panucci open, but I generally close those before I put the device in my pocket.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pelago For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Davis, CA, US
Originally Posted by Peter@Maemo Marketing View Post
Obviously, multitasking in the Nokia N900 is rather decent (my way of saying it's the best out there). BUT, are you making full use of it? Help me to understand how you use the multitasking feature. Your feedback is appreciated and taken into account in the MeeGo Marketing approach now and in the future.
Yes! That's the whole reason I bought the phone and the whole reason the people I've showed it to are jealous of it!

I rarely have less than 3-4 apps constantly running. I agree completely, however, that if you over do it on memory you're very likely to miss phone calls. You need to be careful, but it's ability to multitask is a godsend. It becomes most useful when combined with applications that are pulling data over the net and you want to use which ever one is the "currently ready for reading" app, be it a web page, a twitter account or a email folder.

I very frequently do web-research when out and about and am taking notes in conky and switching back and forth between multiple web pages and whatever I'm taking notes in (which is sometimes just a wiki in yet another open page).

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to hardaker For This Useful Post:
Posts: 468 | Thanked: 775 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Hereford, England
I would say that I only have about 1 - 3 open usually. But it is better to have the option to, than not have the option. Web browsing and listening to music playing in the background is a regular of mine.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bigears5000 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 179 | Thanked: 1,679 times | Joined on Nov 2008 @ Helsinki
Originally Posted by hardaker View Post
Yes! That's the whole reason I bought the phone and the whole reason the people I've showed it to are jealous of it!

I rarely have less than 3-4 apps constantly running. I agree completely, however, that if you over do it on memory you're very likely to miss phone calls. You need to be careful, but it's ability to multitask is a godsend...
Very valuable feedback. Not unexpected but good to hear from you.

Remember to vote!

PS: You earned yourself the first THANKS here... ;-)

The Following User Says Thank You to Peter@Maemo Marketing For This Useful Post:
(email + media player) constantly open, all other stuff opened as needed and closed as soon as no longer actively in use.

I'll often open (browser + maps + notes) or (photo viewer + camera) concurrently.

occasional (speakerphone + calendar + contacts + conversations + web) in addition to email while conversing.

For me though the killer multitasking scenario is for remote support: I'll have a call on speaker, I'll then fire up VNC and/or RDP to connect over ssh to client computers to have a look. Sometimes I'll also need to point microB at a client website while doing this. I may also need to open a command prompt (ssh again) to a Windows box concurrently in some cases and/or copy remote code and audio samples to N900 for later use, and all the while I have either a client (or a test call to a client telephony system) ongoing via cell or skype. Pretty neat from a pocket sized device - and I have to admit, not a scenario whose viability I had any faith in before actually buying N900 & trying it.

Multitasking is the phone's biggest USP and for 'sensible' use it works pretty well for me - however I'd say 4-5 open app's would be the most I'd generally attempt if I wanted both 'foreground' & swap performance to remain acceptable, and I'd always close them down as soon as they were no longer in use.

If you buy a niche, highly modifiable smartphone and proceed to mess it up by blindly screwing around, don't just blame the phone, also blame yourelf.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Pigro For This Useful Post:
Posts: 577 | Thanked: 699 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Malta
Thank you peter for your PM response. I appreciate it.

This is how I typically use the N900.

I usually have 1 or 2 browser windows open, sometimes Conky, an Sms or IM conversation. But I usually close apps when not needing them and reopen them when I need them.

This is an example of when multitasking was useful:

2 browser windows, 2 IM windows, one SMS window, conky, email, file manager, media player, 2x pdf reader and wordtogo.

I was doing an assignment on my N900 for school, while reading the assignment and the reference books on pdf, writing my research in word to go, listening to some songs, researching the web, talking to fellow students on im and smsing my girlfriend, checking email and conky for fun.

To be honest I had to overclock the N900 because it was lagging badly after some time.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pantera1989 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 96 | Thanked: 105 times | Joined on Aug 2006 @ Finland
I tend to just run what I need on my desktop computer and close apps that I don't. I use my N900 in much the same way.

My use cases/apps are mostly:
1. Browser,RSS and e-mail when catching up with news (and Mauku until it stopped working) and mail
2. many browsers windows when just surfing
3. when out openstreetmapping, Mapper and Camera or if I'm also geocaching then I also run gpxview.
4. notes or maepad when taking various notes
5. media player when walking, gym (watching series episodes when on the cycling trainer makes it much less painfull and a waste of time

Then of course I have plenty of background/desktop applications, calendar, email, weather and facebook, IM networks online, etc.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to onion For This Useful Post:
Posts: 55 | Thanked: 16 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Thailand
I usually open 1-6 apps while I'm using the N900, depending on my needs.
Example, while I'm in class, I usually run
- Elements touch
- MathJinni
- Notes
- PDF Reader
- Web browser/Opera Mobile
or while I'm on traveling, the apps will be
- GPS Recorder
- one of
> Ovi Maps(Just for locate myself because the feature allow only this...)
> Sygic(For nav, but I don't much like the interface...)
- Media Player or FM Radio
- Conversations for IMs & SMS
- Email app
- A browser

PS: running more than 6 apps doesn't affect the N900, but affect me!
maybe my brain's "RAM" is less than the N900's.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to inkirby For This Useful Post:
Posts: 179 | Thanked: 1,679 times | Joined on Nov 2008 @ Helsinki
Originally Posted by onion View Post
I tend to just run what I need on my desktop computer and close apps that I don't. I use my N900 in much the same way.
Also very important feedback supporting our message on mobile computing experience on MeeGo. Use it like your desktop on the go.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Peter@Maemo Marketing For This Useful Post:

Tags
multitasking, research, reserach, survey