Posts: 3,524 | Thanked: 2,958 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Delta Quadrant
Kate has posted a PDF of the her latest Maemo 5 Presentation on her company blog. Are there new RX-51/N900 tidbits hidden within? Perhaps. Will every strained minutia of this pdf be painstakingly scrutinised by a N900-starved community? Absolutely!

You can find the blog by clicking here.

You can find the presentation by clicking here.

Discuss!

YARR!
}:^)~

libCorrupt.so

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Capt'n Corrupt For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
I don't really see anything new for Maemo 5 (although it is a nice overview for people who haven't been following closely). Hardware wise, I guess it confirms that there's a stand (although we knew that from the code already).

So, no, not much new of interest.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,524 | Thanked: 2,958 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Delta Quadrant
There's one thing of interest, that's likely known by those following the progress of Maemo 5 closely: It's the aweful main menu. This seems to be a perfect replica of what is on the tablets currently and can be represented much better.

Canola-style menus

In their current form, the main application menu and sub-menus are small, difficult to navigate with the finger, and (IMO) ugly. They are much better suited for a mouse. Canola's settings menu on the other hand is perfect for a mobile device and offers the SAME functionality in a much sleeker and more usable way. The Canola-style menus are large, finger friendly, attractive, can comfortably hold MANY sub menus, and are extremely intuitive. Moreover, based on the compatibility of function, it shouldn't be too hard to mimic this behaviour with Hildon Menus.

While there has been progress on usability, it seems that much of the usability is still being designed by developers! I think this task would be better suited by people that specialize in UIs and artists.

Of course, I'm at this point appealing to the more design-centered individuals on the forum. What do you think? Think you have what it takes to improve the current UI? It may be a bit late, but perhaps if we outline and vote on some ideas, make a wiki-page, we may be able to influence the usability of the upcoming tablet!

YARR!
}:^)~

captn.corrupt.DBus

The Following User Says Thank You to Capt'n Corrupt For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
File chooser - you can see only three items at a time. Maybe the thumb usability of it is high, but it is not very usable...

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bundyo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
The file chooser should occupy the full screen, IMHO.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pycage For This Useful Post:
page 27 - the tablet has a hardware menu button.

could this be a d-pad?

The Following User Says Thank You to flareup For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by flareup View Post
page 27 - the tablet has a hardware menu button. could this be a d-pad?
Look at your tablet. Do you see the difference between the menu button and the d-pad? =)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fms For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by flareup View Post
page 27 - the tablet has a hardware menu button.
i was happy to read in plain english about the menu button. i was worried they'd drop this usefull feature in the current thumb frenzy.

how do you purchase the maemo 5?

Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
Its mostly free

Tags
dismantle, fremantle, fremantle summary, kate alhola, kool-aid, no soup for you, presentation, to sylus or not to stylus