Notices

Posts: 820 | Thanked: 436 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Portsmouth, UK.
Originally Posted by shallimus View Post
Fail. While I don't run a firewall or antivirus on my N900, it is totally wrong to assume or claim that Linux is immune to the stuff which causes you to need antivirus and (particularly) a firewall.
Ok I'll rephrase.

Firewall could be advantageous but I've not seen one for the N900.

Antivirus is avaliable for linux systems for a reason obviously, but I'm assuming (and therefore may be wrong) but aren't most viruses/malware compiled for x86? We therefore, do not need to worry so much.

Posts: 76 | Thanked: 46 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Romania
N900 dude... You have a lot of aplications for Word, PowerPoint and Execl!

Posts: 568 | Thanked: 969 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Toronto
Originally Posted by James_Littler View Post
Ok I'll rephrase.

Firewall could be advantageous but I've not seen one for the N900.

Antivirus is avaliable for linux systems for a reason obviously, but I'm assuming (and therefore may be wrong) but aren't most viruses/malware compiled for x86? We therefore, do not need to worry so much.
Broadly speaking you're right, but it would be a shame if someone saw your original post and thought that Linux was totally bulletproof.

Also: please accept my apology for having cried "Fail" - I had already edited my post to be less snarky. It's true, we don't need to worry so much as Windows users.

N.B. x86 is an instruction set (language the CPU speaks) and a hardware thing. Windows (32-bit editions) and the Linux installed on your desktop (32-bit) PC are both compiled to run on x86 architecture.

Last edited by shallimus; 2010-11-12 at 18:00.

The Following User Says Thank You to shallimus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Originally Posted by shallimus View Post
Broadly speaking you're right, but it would be a shame if someone saw your original post and thought that Linux was totally bulletproof.

Also: please accept my apology for having cried "Fail" - I had already edited my post to be less snarky. It's true, we don't need to worry so much as Windows users.
There is a bigger principle here, one not understood by MANY posters:

When you are dealing with extreme newbies, it is important to avoid bringing up side issues that can be ignored for the moment. The reason is that it is very stressful to be an extreme newbie and they can actually break if you aren't careful, and because of the unfamiliarity of the situation, they are overwhelmed. So even if you see a chance to raise your favorite topic or make that elegant distinction, you should save it for a better time.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to geneven For This Useful Post:
Posts: 568 | Thanked: 969 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Toronto
Originally Posted by geneven View Post
There is a bigger principle here, one not understood by MANY posters:

When you are dealing with extreme newbies, it is important to avoid bringing up side issues that can be ignored for the moment. The reason is that it is very stressful to be an extreme newbie and they can actually break if you aren't careful, and because of the unfamiliarity of the situation, they are overwhelmed. So even if you see a chance to raise your favorite topic or make that elegant distinction, you should save it for a better time.
I agree. No doubt you saw that the very first line of my first post to this thread is a short, simple and reassuring note for OP in a different colour, addressing them by name.

Posts: 209 | Thanked: 24 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ Alexandria,Egypt
hahahahahah guyzzzz chill out any1 want pepsi :P

Posts: 242 | Thanked: 86 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ UK/Scotland
Originally Posted by heartbreakdoctor View Post
hahahahahah guyzzzz chill out any1 want pepsi :P
don't worry dude, this is simply a way of life in TMO, we are full of healthy debates.... admittedly some do get out of hand

Cantonese Pen Power Input is only available in Hong Kong...SUX!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ykho For This Useful Post:
hahaahhahaha am happy tht many ppl reply me i thought will have to wait for days lol,does anyone knw from where can i get maps for mobile maps 10?

Posts: 1,994 | Thanked: 3,342 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ N900: Battery low. N950: torx 4 re-used once and fine; SIM port torn apart
Originally Posted by heartbreakdoctor View Post
hahaahhahaha am happy tht many ppl reply me i thought will have to wait for days lol,does anyone knw from where can i get maps for mobile maps 10?
Do you mean Sygic Mobile Maps version 10?
Here is some text about adding additional maps:
http://sygic.com/index.php/en/faq/28...plication.html

The Following User Says Thank You to Wikiwide For This Useful Post:
i think this is the one thx bs am from egypt n there r no maps for egypt,n this programe is perfect,any other ideas of gps programs for free with voice

Tags
google ffs, heeelp plzzzzzz, prima donna, search as*hole, spelling, stop enabling, the noobs, troll troll, troll your boat