Hi everyone!

After reading through a few posts on this great forum, I've decided I need some more info (while drooling over the photos of the N900 that're available so far) on the PIM synchronization capabilities of the N900.

Right now I'm using a WinMobile device, which is very tightly integrated with Microsoft Outlook - when ActiveSync is working, the combination isn't half bad... I'm still trying to decide whether or not to make the leap from WinMo to Maemo5, because I'm a bit afraid to lose the awesome PIM capabilities on WinMo (pretty much the only thing that OS actually does well )...

Now, I've never used a Nokia device before, so: What synchronization options will be available for getting my contacts, appointments, tasks and notes onto my laptop? What programs are recommended with the N900? Will Outlook work (although a complete switch to Thunderbird with Sunbird would be even better, if it's fully supported and all the features work well)?

I'd love to be able to move to a complete OTA sync system, but I'm guessing that's still problematic without workarounds a la ScheduleWorld or an Exchange Server...

Any thoughts on this? What should a former WinMo user take into account?

Thanks in advance

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to bemymonkey For This Useful Post:
Posts: 472 | Thanked: 107 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Texas
full syncing support for Exchange is included out of the box.

Thanks for the answer! I read that somewhere, but I don't think syncing to Outlook on a PC via USB is the same as syncing to a proper Exchange server, is it? I just want to be sure that I can sync to my PC properly somehow

Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Support for ActiveSync protocol 2.5 is included out of the box.

Posts: 344 | Thanked: 73 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Los Angeles
Originally Posted by bemymonkey View Post
Thanks for the answer! I read that somewhere, but I don't think syncing to Outlook on a PC via USB is the same as syncing to a proper Exchange server, is it? I just want to be sure that I can sync to my PC properly somehow
Nokia PC Suite will sync N900 with Outlook, but there are limitations, and from what I have read here it has its problems with other Nokia devices. I don't think anyone knows yet how PC Suite will work with the n900. Nokia's PIM options are apparently not well supported. Another option is Garnet VM, but that is not available yet for Maemo 5. I am still looking for a way.

Posts: 345 | Thanked: 467 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Germany
Originally Posted by sorodoros View Post
Nokia PC Suite will sync N900 with Outlook, but there are limitations, and from what I have read here it has its problems with other Nokia devices. I don't think anyone knows yet how PC Suite will work with the n900. Nokia's PIM options are apparently not well supported. Another option is Garnet VM, but that is not available yet for Maemo 5. I am still looking for a way.
Today i just installed the PC suite 7.1 on my work PC, connected my n900 via USB and synced the calender. Worked as expected!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Master of Gizmo For This Useful Post:
Does anyone know (or care to test) if you can sync contacts & calendar with PC Suite to Lotus Notes as well ? Corporate standards... sigh

Originally Posted by Master of Gizmo View Post
Today i just installed the PC suite 7.1 on my work PC, connected my n900 via USB and synced the calender. Worked as expected!
Sounds good so far - how about contacts? Do the contact fields in Outlook match up with those on the N900? Are the correct ones synced, or does it mix some up? Is two-way sync working properly (if you change something on the N900 and change something else in Outlook, are both of the changes combined properly?)?

Thanks for all the answers so far

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bemymonkey For This Useful Post:
Posts: 344 | Thanked: 73 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Los Angeles
Originally Posted by Master of Gizmo View Post
PC Suite has never supported category sync. Does this version?
What about colors?

Tasks?
Contacts?
Memos/Notes?

Hmmm, it's me again - I'm fed up with Outlook. Will calendar sync with Sunbird and Contacts with Thunderbird? What app can be used to sync notes?