Posts: 4 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Dec 2005 @ New York
1. So it sees to me that there are both internal and external memory. This comes to me after i look under memory in the control panal and i see both the device and the stick listed diffrently. If this is the case i was wondering what type of memory it is and is it upgradeable. i looked for pictures of gutted 770's but to my dismay i could only find this one http://www.linuxdevices.com/files/mi...l_assembly.jpg. in that picture there appears to be a large grey box which in scale could be flash memory or the CPU :-P. has anyone opened their device up yet?

2. Can this device use any RS-MMC card avalible on the web? or does it have to be a spicific brand?

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
1. There are two types of internal memory - 64Mb of DRAM and 128Mb Flash... the former is used to run apps (and is what you typically run low on) and the latter is used as filestore (I'd be surprised if anyone has filled this yet). If it were possible to upgrade this memory, of the two I would suggest upgrading the 64Mb DRAM as you will get no benefit from upgrading the filestore at this point (other than the ability to store more apps of course).

These guys will upgrade the memory chips in various iPAQs - might be worth contacting them to see if they'd be interested in looking at the Nokia 770? Although it has to be said they're not cheap - $370 to go from 64Mb to 256Mb, that's the cost of another 770!!! - and while I haven't used them myself (I'm in the UK and would have to ship my iPAQ HX4700 to the US and back) they come recommended.

Edit: I've just discovered that expansys.co.uk is a UK upgrader I'll contact PPC and ask about their ability to upgrade the 770 - purely out of interest at this stage, as I'm not convinced there is a need for more memory right now (the last firmware improved things a lot, though I still run low on memory eventually).

2. Seems like pretty much any RS-MMC is acceptable - mine is a 1Gb SanDisk and works just fine.

Last edited by Milhouse; 2006-01-09 at 05:00.

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
Not very encouraging, although it's hardly definitive:

Hi Neil

We have not been able to open the unit. We will not be able to determine if your unit will be upgradeable.

Thanks
Loyd
Sooo.... for all their fancy do-dah microscopes and suface mount soldering equipment, they can't even open a 770? Right.... Since I found this explanation hard to believe I asked Loyd for details and what problems they had found etc. but have received no further communication.

Originally Posted by Milhouse
Sooo.... for all their fancy do-dah microscopes and suface mount soldering equipment, they can't even open a 770? Right.... Since I found this explanation hard to believe I asked Loyd for details and what problems they had found etc. but have received no further communication.
What's entertaining is that the teardown instructions are already available online, including photos. :-)

Also... consider that the controllers on the OMAP1710 may not handle additional memory on-board, but I don't recall what the hard limits are. If the second MMC controller lines were brought out from the chip itself, I guess you could hang another MMC device off it?